Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Competition and Performance
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Dodge Competition and Performance General Dodge Competition and Performance Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 10:54 AM   #1001
NakeDiesel

Name: NakeDiesel
Title: Smoke'n in the Mud
Member`s Gallery
Well, the VB we though we were going to get can't be ready till towards the end of the week with who we were talking with and not shipping out tomorrow like he thought this weekend, so Austin is calling around to other companies he does business with to try and see if he can get one here earlier than end of the week / next week.

Thanks to my sponsors: CP-Carrillo, Air Dog, Muldoons Diesel Performance, Power Driven Diesel, Diesel Performance Converters

Old 08-22-2016, 09:39 PM   #1002
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Ordered the new clutches, hub/bellville/plastic spacer/wavy retainer, gaskets and seals today. I've been told I should have the VB by the end of the week, so fingers are crossed but not holding my breath....

Cleaned up the case, cleaned and assembled the od unit tonight and tore down and rebuilt the Intermediate section with a different sun shell.

Will pick up the parts I ordered on Weds when I'm in Tulsa next, will get everything together on the trans but the VB and will probably put the trans in the truck thursday night along with everything else to have it ready for when the VB gets here.

Click the image to open in full size.

Thanks to my sponsors: CP-Carrillo, Air Dog, Muldoons Diesel Performance, Power Driven Diesel, Diesel Performance Converters

Old 08-23-2016, 06:00 AM   #1003
kubotaorange76

Name: kubotaorange76
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NakeDiesel View Post
Ordered the new clutches, hub/bellville/plastic spacer/wavy retainer, gaskets and seals today. I've been told I should have the VB by the end of the week, so fingers are crossed but not holding my breath....

Cleaned up the case, cleaned and assembled the od unit tonight and tore down and rebuilt the Intermediate section with a different sun shell.

Will pick up the parts I ordered on Weds when I'm in Tulsa next, will get everything together on the trans but the VB and will probably put the trans in the truck thursday night along with everything else to have it ready for when the VB gets here.

I have to say i admire your persistence, IF this was me i would have pulled the trans and tossed it in a lake along with the truck by now.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:18 PM   #1004
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
I've been told stubbornness runs in my family, I don't see it, but might be a tad of truth in there.

Picked up 2 more calipers (under warranty) to replace one leaking one at the banjo fitting and one almost frozen one. Tonight, got them replaced, bled and the back one ground down so my 15" wide 5's will fit on them.

The VB is built and tested, should ship out tomorrow, hopefully I will have better luck this time with the shipping companies and get it on time.

I pick up the long list of parts I called in to WIT trans yesterday and plan on building the transmission tomorrow night all but the VB. Then putting everything into the truck while I wait on the VB to get here. Maybe it will get here in time to race this weekend, maybe not. If it doesn't, I've a long list of crap around the house and farm to get accomplished.

I've no idea why the calipers get frozen up.... this is after just one race and after washing the truck and underside....

Ground down rear caliper

A little paint to protect it till the first time I race it.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:34 PM   #1005
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Well, picked up the parts i ordered from WIT trans today at lunch, new pump, new forward drum, new forward piston, belville spring, plastic spacer and wavy snap ring, bunch of seals and gaskets, along with clutches and steels and 2 new bottom forward pressure plates.

Also got word that my VB is built, tested and shipped out today via overnight delivery, so hopefully I will have it in my hands tomorrow night.

This evening, started assembling the components, got the intermediate section in the trans, put the forward and direct clutches together and found i was short 3 clutches for direct. I temporarily put 3 others in to check clearance and need to get a couple of thicker steels for it, same with forward. Also found I was short 3 seals on my order as well, both seals for direct and the larger outer seal for OD.

So I get to make a flying trip to Tulsa tomorrow to pickup the missing seals and clutches and get the additional thicker steels, will hopefully have the trans together and back in the truck tomorrow night.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:39 PM   #1006
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Lucked out and didn't have to fly to Tulsa and back, my parents went there today and picked them up while they were there, so this evening I was able to finish setting up the clutches in direct - .072" and forward - 0.25" in clearance. The VB arrived right when I was ready for it, so finished up the trans and decided to shoot a quick coat of paint on it and let it dry while I ate supper.

Didn't have any help tonight since the girls are both working the night shift and my son is in school every night during the week, and the PFSIL had to take care of Turbo, lets just say it was fun stabbing the trans by myself and getting it lined up.

But got it done, bolted it in, hooked up everything to it, put the cross member in, mounted the tcase, trans mount and rear driveshaft. Then called it a night.

Just need to get the dipstick mounted on the firewall, put some fluid in and I can see how it does. Still need to put the front drive shaft in, drive shaft loops, ujoint shields and driveline sensor.

Old 08-26-2016, 12:43 AM   #1007
thatguy69

Name: thatguy69
Member`s Gallery
Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Old 08-26-2016, 10:36 AM   #1008
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Man, I can't believe you stopped there. I'm hooping you post tonight that it rips!

Old 08-26-2016, 11:53 AM   #1009
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Yeah, I wanted to finish it last night, but was working by myself, so it took longer than when I have one of the boys helping out.

You aren't the only one hoping that it rips. I'm sure my wife is tired of me rebuilding the transmission every week.

Old 08-26-2016, 10:02 PM   #1010
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Finished up the truck this afternoon and tested pressures while the truck was in the shop, put it up on jack stands and went through the gears. Shifts are firm, pressures great. Was going to make a test run and it starts raining. Didn't get trucks washed and loaded till well after dark.

We are heading to Tulsa with the trucks tomorrow and will test the truck out on the fast track first.

Fingers, Eyes and nuts crossed it works.....

Old 08-26-2016, 10:32 PM   #1011
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
Can't wait for the videos! Good luck!

Old 08-27-2016, 09:22 PM   #1012
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Finally had good runs today. Truck hooked and ran great. Made one pass on the fast track in their class 3, which allowed pretty much anything engine wise and ended up 4th, just out of the money. Ran a 4.0x something, and truck pulled hard all the way down the track.

Ran one pass in class 6 and placed 4th in it as well. Truck again pulled hard and did great. Think I have the trans working good now.

I want to thank everyone that helped me out over the past couple of months on parts, knowledge, etc.. Austin at Crazy A Performance, Will at Power Driven Diesel, John at Muldoon's Diesel Performance and Phil at Diesel Performance Converters.

I want to make a few more runs on it till the end of the season, but think I need the converter loosened up more. I forgot my data logger memory card at the house so i don't have any data on my 2 runs, but it felt great.

Just need to wash the truck and it's ready to race in 2 weeks in Alva, Ok.

Fast Track pass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-GDEhAxzdY

Bog pit pass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neC1lIibbaE

Old 08-27-2016, 09:44 PM   #1013
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
The videos look awesome! Congrats

Old 08-28-2016, 07:31 AM   #1014
fordpickupman

Name: fordpickupman
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
She sounds real good!
4th place is impressive for the first time out on the trans working correctly.
I'm excited to see how the 47rh works for you.

'96 F350 Colt stage3, Hami valves, built 47rh, 180pump, 181dv, AFClive, 5x012inj, 4k, 60#springs, 19* timing

Old 08-28-2016, 09:35 PM   #1015
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
With the transmission working yesterday like it should, we worked on cleaning out peppers and tomatoes from the freezers to make room for beef that will be processed in a few weeks.

Spent all day cutting, prepping, cooking and canning pickled peppers, mild and hot salsa and pasta sauce.

Found some pictures from my runs yesterday from the photogs at the race, here they are:

Truck is squatting nicely on launch

Love this picture

Habenaros

Jalepenos

First batch of pickled peppers

Pasta sauce

One of the many salsa batches

Our finished products

Old 08-28-2016, 11:20 PM   #1016
khaoskustoms

Name: khaoskustoms
Member`s Gallery
pics are awesome!!! And that is one hell of a run of salsa!

Old 09-07-2016, 10:52 PM   #1017
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Since the transmission seemed to work good 2 weekends ago, I've been doing some things around the house and farm since I have all this free time....

Moved hay around in the hay pen and worked on the cattle pen I catch the cows up in. Then this past weekend, started tiling our bedroom. I finished laying the last of the tile in the closets tonight, just need to finish grouting half the bedroom floor and the small and large closets. Also got one new storm door installed.

Picked up a few pieces of steel to start building a welding trailer on a free axle and springs I had given to me. Drew up the design I'm going to go with on the puter.

CP-Carrillo released their diesel catalog today, and my truck is full page in it.

Link to the CP-Carrillo catalog: http://www.cp-carrillo.com/files/die...nalv3email.pdf

Trying to figure out what I want to try to do this winter to the truck that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, really need to move up to a bigger injection pump, so I'm going to focus on seeing if I can get some sponsorship money to go towards that this year. Might play around some this winter with making fiberglass molds and trying my hand at making carbon fiber panels.

Welding trailer design

Flooring

Old 09-11-2016, 09:11 PM   #1018
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Went and raced in Alva, OK yesterday, ended up making 5 passes at the race. Made my first run in class 6a and they didn't get a time, so I had to make a second pass. First pass is much faster than my 2nd pass. Ended up 4th in the class.

In class 3, I was the first truck in the class and didn't think I made a good pass, guess I should have kept it and not done a rerun. My second pass was much slower (2 seconds slower) and ended up not placing. If I'd kept my first pass, I would have been 2nd in the class. Truck wouldn't move after my 2nd pass in class three after i got out of the pit. Had to be towed back to the staging area. I let the truck run and the trans coolers running and by the time we got back to the staging area, truck would move again. I don't think the converter is locking up. Think it got fubar'd with the other two trans trashings. Will call Phil this week about getting the converter loosened up and it checked out. Won't be able to do it before my next race so will probably an after the season thing.

Had to use a jump box on my truck before my class 4 run as the battery was way down. Think it will be time for a new battery before next season. I had to sit there and idle the truck waiting on the first truck to run in the class as I was 2nd in the class. He had to be jumped as well and that took forever to get him going with my battery dying fast. I made my class 4 run and ended up 2nd in the class, ran the truck back to the trailer and drove it on, the battery was almost completely drained by that point.

Class 6a first pass
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f854xjMyI8

Class 6a 2nd pass
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hewl9ct6BVM

Class 3 first pass
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4qj2nTsckc

Class 3 2nd pass
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sibGGG1QQ5k

Class 4 run
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOkIK2y1Dig

Old 09-12-2016, 03:59 PM   #1019
DieselWrencher

Name: DieselWrencher
Title: 6cyl Vette
Member`s Gallery
Those pictures from the last race are awesome! The truck sounds great too. In the 2nd pass in the first class, was the trans having issues about 3/4 through the pit? It almost seemed like the truck slowed way down but the rpm's were staying the same. But the next passes looked and sounded normal. Nice runs. Definitely looked like a rough pit through out the day.
1972 K30 Longhorn P-Pumped 24v 47RH Compounds

Old 09-12-2016, 08:23 PM   #1020
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
yeah, the fluid got really hot from what I can tell from the 2 back to back passes with not enough time running it through the coolers between runs. Think this is because lockup doesn't seem to be working on the converter. Think i messed up the converter with the other problems I had. Only got logger data on a partial run on my last run and it showed slippage around 51% in the transmission. Going to adjust the pickup on the front driveshaft this week and hopefully get better data this weekend.

I can only spool the truck up to about 20psi before it starts pushing on the brakes, hoping the converter can be loosened up more.

Closed Thread