Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Sled Pulling
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Sled Pulling From Street to Pro-Mod, get your Sled Pulling fix here!

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 05:56 AM   #81
prostockpuller

Name: prostockpuller
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
The latest updates

Per PPL's Sight, this is the latest change in writing and it is a little vague.
(scroll down)
http://propulling.com/images/pdf/201...le-Changes.pdf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rules.JPG (33.2 KB, 0 views)

Old 01-30-2018, 08:06 AM   #82
97crewcab

Name: 97crewcab
Title: Wrong.
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostockpuller View Post
Per PPL's Sight, this is the latest change in writing and it is a little vague.
(scroll down)
http://propulling.com/images/pdf/201...le-Changes.pdf
Which part are you referring to being vague?

Looks to me like they basically just took out the wording that required a bed floor, but didn't specifically spell out that they could be cut out. The only thing I don't necessarily like the bed cover wording. I think it should say that it has to be covered if the bed floor is removed. I am sure there will be some questions about that for guys who are unfamiliar with the previous way it was written.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:53 AM   #83
SmokeShow

Name: SmokeShow
Member`s Gallery
How do you gut the bed when the rule says it must retain full sheet metal? If that doesn't include gutting the bed, then what is the intent of the rule - no fiberglass/CF body parts?

IG: @_mitch_ratliff_

'14 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew, w/ 3.5L EcoBoost, bone stock

83 GMC K30 CC SB 4WD awaiting D/A chassis swap

Old 01-30-2018, 09:25 AM   #84
jones95runner

Name: jones95runner
Member`s Gallery
As always..... ppl does it just to have grey areas.....

Old 01-30-2018, 11:12 AM   #85
prostockpuller

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97crewcab View Post
Which part are you referring to being vague?

Looks to me like they basically just took out the wording that required a bed floor, but didn't specifically spell out that they could be cut out. The only thing I don't necessarily like the bed cover wording. I think it should say that it has to be covered if the bed floor is removed. I am sure there will be some questions about that for guys who are unfamiliar with the previous way it was written.
The bed Floor part of it is left out.

Old 01-30-2018, 01:48 PM   #86
97crewcab

Name: 97crewcab
Title: Wrong.
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostockpuller View Post
The bed Floor part of it is left out.
It really isn't a surprise with PPL like jones95runer said. Seems like every year we have this same discussion.

Old 01-30-2018, 04:36 PM   #87
jones95runner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97crewcab View Post
It really isn't a surprise with PPL like jones95runer said. Seems like every year we have this same discussion.
What's funny is they said the reason was to let some of the 3.6 trucks bump back down. But most of the 3.6 trucks had already had the cabs gutted..... the reason they allowed bed floors to be cut out in 3.0 years ago was so some trucks could run ss that was having a tough time making weight.

What should have been done this time was the same as they did then, if bed floor is cut out you must add 200# behind the rear axle, at that time it realy wasn't a advantage. Now they are going to basically make everyone cut the bed floors out this year since that will be a pretty big weight bias difference.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:01 PM   #88
lawnboy01

Name: lawnboy01
Member`s Gallery
Beds covered = cut it bed out and use a tonneau cover.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:26 AM   #89
lawnboy01

Member`s Gallery
And if you actually have a question on a rule or don’t understand a rule, a simple email to John usually helps.

Old 01-31-2018, 08:46 AM   #90
jones95runner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnboy01 View Post
Beds covered = cut it bed out and use a tonneau cover.
Everyone already knew that..... what we were getting at is ppl always writes rules to be shady. It's not that hard to write clean rules. If you want to see a good rule wording check out NTPA's

Old 01-31-2018, 09:04 AM   #91
lawnboy01

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jones95runner View Post
Everyone already knew that..... what we were getting at is ppl always writes rules to be shady. It's not that hard to write clean rules. If you want to see a good rule wording check out NTPA's
Idk, there’s room for improvement on both sides. Ntpa is by no means perfect as an example:” the complete OEM floor pan is manditory in cab not bed” so that means we don’t need oem firewall.
Just trying to be helpful, not getting into a piss’n match

Old 01-31-2018, 10:00 AM   #92
jones95runner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnboy01 View Post
Idk, there’s room for improvement on both sides. Ntpa is by no means perfect as an example:” the complete OEM floor pan is manditory in cab not bed” so that means we don’t need oem firewall.
Just trying to be helpful, not getting into a piss’n match
It's not worth getting worked up.over. But I don't like the complete oem firewall wording. My oem firewall has several large holes from the factory, would have been much nicer if they wrote the 3.0 smooth rule same as 3.6.

If they plan on inforcing the oem firewall rule that will kick out most every 3.6 truck that wanted to bump down.

Old 01-31-2018, 10:57 AM   #93
lawnboy01

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
If they plan on inforcing the oem firewall rule that will kick out most every 3.6 truck that wanted to bump down.
Is it’s fine if the rule is enforced. IMO, there shouldn’t be a rule to work around another class. If someone wants to “bump down a class” then they should make their truck fit the class. Not change a class to fit some trucks. IMO the 3.6 class is failing, the 3.0 Class is growing. So to me it isn’t bumping down it’s getting into a class that is thriving and nationally reconized with pretty much a universal set of rules.

Old 01-31-2018, 11:30 AM   #94
prostockpuller

Member`s Gallery
I didn't mean to start a pissing match by any means. All the time and money spent on these trucks, I don't see it as a big deal to "cut" away a bed floor or bring back an OEM firewall to stock to compete in this class. As Mike said....the class is gaining strength in the country both in trucks and overall popularity. Lets all just "go with it" and be thankful that NTPA and PPL both are having this class. I count almost 40 sanctioned hooks scheduled for 2018 in NTPA region 2 and PPL OSTPA.

RK

Old 01-31-2018, 04:54 PM   #95
jones95runner

Member`s Gallery
I agree with both of you guys. I'm not trying to start a pissing match either. It is nice 3.0 smooth is catching on. But damn leave the rules alone for just one year come on. We have basically came back to 3.0 mwe of 2011-12.

We personally have 2 trucks and I help on 4-5 others we went away from ppl rules 4 or so years ago because people were tired of basically building a new truck every year. We now have the biggest local class we have ever had and more being built.....

not saying people go away from ppl but if they would have stopped changing rules every year 7-8 years ago imagine where we would be today. There used to be 40+ 3.0mwe trucks show up at schieds. Last year there wasn't any more 3.0 smooth trucks than that. People get tired of redoing a truck every year even if it is so simple as gutting a bed...

But guess what...... if they quit changing rules..... the sponsors aren't making any money......

Old 01-31-2018, 08:05 PM   #96
bigstacks95

Name: bigstacks95
Title: Diesel Doc
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
But guess what...... if they quit changing rules..... the sponsors aren't making any money......
I find that excuse extremely hard to believe.

Why would a sponsor stop making money? The big guys buy new turbos and injectors and pumps and blah blah blah every year anyways, if they can squeeze out 15 more hp than the year before than they are going to do it. Not to mention the new guys joining in, if the rules don't change, it makes it easier for joe blow on a budget to put a truck together over the course of a year or two without having to change the chassis 37 times in that period. Everyone's still going to be buying turbos, injectors, pumps, Haisley this, Scheid that, etc, etc, they may just wait until the end of their build to buy it, or, they might just sell more of it because more people are interested!

Not blasting you Jones95runner, just stating an opinion. Guys have used that excuse for years, and I think its a bogus excuse. I think the reason the rules keep changing is all the guys lobbying to change them. "oh just let us do this, let us gut beds, let us run ODL, let us run deckplates" I don't get why guys don't just jump up. You wanna run a deckplate? Jump to the next class, don't lobby to change all the rules. Makes no sense to me. You don't see NHRA pro stock cars lobbying to run blowers and nitro, if they want to do that, they build a funny car.

If I pulled with PPL maybe things would be different but I don't, so this is my outsider's point of view. I don't think they realize how much their rule changes effect pulling across the entire country, and it seems to me like they don't care that maybe some of us guys from other organizations across the country want to come put money in their pockets too and pull in the big leagues some day

OK I'm done ranting.

58 Dodge Power Wagon 3.0 Limited Pro Stock diesel pulling truck

2020 Ram 3500 HO/Aisin Laramie/night tow rig

Old 01-31-2018, 08:42 PM   #97
jones95runner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstacks95 View Post
I find that excuse extremely hard to believe.

Why would a sponsor stop making money? The big guys buy new turbos and injectors and pumps and blah blah blah every year anyways, if they can squeeze out 15 more hp than the year before than they are going to do it. Not to mention the new guys joining in, if the rules don't change, it makes it easier for joe blow on a budget to put a truck together over the course of a year or two without having to change the chassis 37 times in that period. Everyone's still going to be buying turbos, injectors, pumps, Haisley this, Scheid that, etc, etc, they may just wait until the end of their build to buy it, or, they might just sell more of it because more people are interested!

Not blasting you Jones95runner, just stating an opinion. Guys have used that excuse for years, and I think its a bogus excuse. I think the reason the rules keep changing is all the guys lobbying to change them. "oh just let us do this, let us gut beds, let us run ODL, let us run deckplates" I don't get why guys don't just jump up. You wanna run a deckplate? Jump to the next class, don't lobby to change all the rules. Makes no sense to me. You don't see NHRA pro stock cars lobbying to run blowers and nitro, if they want to do that, they build a funny car.

If I pulled with PPL maybe things would be different but I don't, so this is my outsider's point of view. I don't think they realize how much their rule changes effect pulling across the entire country, and it seems to me like they don't care that maybe some of us guys from other organizations across the country want to come put money in their pockets too and pull in the big leagues some day

OK I'm done ranting.

Lol.blast away I can take it.... I agree some guys will upgrade every year just because. But mark my word...... 3.0 smooth will be across the country big time next year, then the new turbo rule will come out. They have already been discussing and dynoing it. The big time 3.0 smooth guys are bored with the power now since they have ODL.

Make it one of the biggest classes in the country then change turbo rule..... CHA CHING there goes tons of money back to the sponsors for turbos and dyno time.

Kinda like super farm going to MWE covers.

Old 01-31-2018, 08:49 PM   #98
bigstacks95

Name: bigstacks95
Title: Diesel Doc
Member`s Gallery
As much as I hate to admit I'm sure you're right about the turbo rules changing again.

58 Dodge Power Wagon 3.0 Limited Pro Stock diesel pulling truck

2020 Ram 3500 HO/Aisin Laramie/night tow rig

Old 01-31-2018, 11:36 PM   #99
Inbred Inline

Name: Inbred Inline
Title: Bastard child builder
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Kinda like super farm going to MWE covers.
This made me laugh after some of their chargers Ive seen already, had to measure the harts at their gordyville booth to make sure it wasn't my old COTPC 2.5 turbo, couldve fooled me! And now the poor bastards have a new cover out every two weeks that adds 25 horse. For years the tractor guys laughed at slotted truck classes.....
2000 Chevy CCSB C3500 3.0 Pro Stock 4x4 "Inbred Inline"-broken junk

Old 02-03-2018, 04:52 PM   #100
ikeG

Name: ikeG
Title: Oughta Know Better
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
We personally have 2 trucks and I help on 4-5 others we went away from ppl rules 4 or so years ago because people were tired of basically building a new truck every year. We now have the biggest local class we have ever had and more being built....
What are your rules?

Closed Thread