Oil Pan Fabrication

9724VF350

Tractor Guy
Need to modify a pan to fit in a tractor repower I'm doing, and I'm torn on how to fill the gap between the old sump and the new sump.

Do I cut and weld in filler pieces, or do I cut, heat, and push the pan over to the new sump and weld it.

Opinions?

pan2.jpg

pan1.jpg

IMO i would cut and weld pieces in to fit. I think if you were to heat and shove it would end up wavey and warped looking especially since its so thin to begin with.

Cut off the uneven edges of the old pan, make it one flat lip. Cut a single piece that comes 90* off the old pan into the pieces you fabbed. No messing with working-in odd shaped small pieces. You could even run the single piece at a 45* angle as opposed to 90* for a smoother transition. And I mean one piece cut per side. The front portion of the pan looks like it is just about touching your fabricated piece to where you could just weld it.

Caulk it. LOL.

IMO cutting pieces and tig them in would keep the pan sealing surface from distorting. Also insure transition pieces don't trap residual oil for effective draining.

Back