Melting_pistons 2.0 build thread

Melting_pistons

So as many of you know I have already started one build thread on my 07 crew cab which I’m hoping when I finish it up will be a rowdy street/strip truck and a stout 6.70 contender...

A few weeks ago I was talking to a buddy who has a pretty rowdy 6.0 that’s all fiberglass, backhalf, etc. he was having a fueling issue, and the truck was running 6.4s... looking at the hp calculator that put him at around 740hp. At that moment, I knew my crew cab wasn’t going to cut it. I needed to drop a ton of weight. The only issue, I didn’t want to cut up my super clean street truck.

Well it just so happens, that I ran across a good deal on a roller. After some back and forth, that deal fell through, and I stumbled onto this.... y’all know I love my red trucks!!

af1f04eb2a60b374a4114e745d83289c.jpg

f60e4aff17ec35ebeaf71a114e4ab44d.jpg

0072ee3b40484a3bdbc578e164a5cf6d.jpg

19085b20db38746930fce57c9d76f7dc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This truck is a 06 laramie roller. Red of course to match my crew cab. The doors and bedsides had some rust, which is no biggie seeing as it’s going to be fiberglass. The interior is dirty, but not torn up and is all there. So that’s a plus (can be sold)... heated leather seats and full laramie interior should help recoup some of the cost on the truck.

I’ve got to figure out what route I want to go on the motor, and I’ve got to find a core 48. But I’m excited to get started on it.

This build isn’t being done to meet any specific class. I just want to go fast. I would love to chase odss, but I can’t afford all that time off of work. I am hoping for sub 4500# and a mid to low 5 second capability...but run a conservative 5.90 at the local odss events.

I have a ton of little ideas, but this build is going to take a little time. I’ll try to keep this thread updated as I go. I’m planning to get fiberglass ordered within the next couple of weeks. And it’s looking like mid October it will be going for the chassis overhaul, so I have a couple of months to get this thing completely stripped down and ready to get cut up.

910cd639f8001fd2152242936fc3f5cd.jpg

Hahaha thanks man. We will see how far it goes, but I have some big plans. Just don’t want to over hype it. We will see what happens

Congrats on the purchase! what tire size is on the front wheels of the blue single cab?

Thanks dude. And Man I can’t remember exactly. I think they are a 235 on a 18x10. Can’t remember the aspect ratio. Too small tho. Lol. Just some rollers I grabbed out of the trash. I’m probably going to swap the tires off of those black 18s onto my polished ones and throw them on this regular cab for a roller for the time being

Thanks dude. And Man I can’t remember exactly. I think they are a 235 on a 18x10. Can’t remember the aspect ratio. Too small tho. Lol. Just some rollers I grabbed out of the trash. I’m probably going to swap the tires off of those black 18s onto my polished ones and throw them on this regular cab for a roller for the time being

I am not a fan of black wheels so you got my vote lol. I am just trying to debate on going 17s or 18s.

We will just say it’s a blank canvas... trying to get a game plan together to start ripping stuff out next week.

faf4339328c7046f293768c7fa9d9030.jpg

Almost bought a 06 same color but long bed. Still regret it.

I’m excited to get started on it.. I have a lot of ideas from watching some of the “big boys” over the last couple of years and putting my spin on them. So we will see where it goes

Well I have a buddy who wanted the lowered suspension off of the truck, so yesterday we got the bed, front bumper, and all the suspension torn out.

8222472237ba17bd40b82cf4faeca5bd.jpg

dd5b88b84812a0506d54cf59731aef0c.jpg

30f4e01f8e594366cc329ee55bf400e2.jpg

Maybe the stickers on the roll pan will make it clear if it’s the same truck. One said “2 doors for classy *****s” and the other said “louder than your girl last night” lol

Its definitely the truck im thinking of. The gutted bed and 257 diesel repair sticker confirms that, but sadly the roll pan stickers dont narrow it down any for around here lol. You got it somewhere just off 81 in the Harrisonburg/Staunton area correct?

Its definitely the truck im thinking of. The gutted bed and 257 diesel repair sticker confirms that, but sadly the roll pan stickers dont narrow it down any for around here lol. You got it somewhere just off 81 in the Harrisonburg/Staunton area correct?

Yeah lots of those dumbass stickers around here. The 257 diesel repair sticker is what caught my eye

That sounds about right. He met me in Richmond which was right about half way for me. Saved me a couple hour drive.

And I wish the stickers were what stood out around here. Unfortunately we have the squatted trucks and the bone stock diesels with tunes and 10” tips that try to race me at every stop light.

Back