Cold Start

zboyce

I own a 2000 7.3 diesel and am having cold start issues. I have heard replacing the injectors is a possibility? Batteries are good, relay is working properly and according to the diesel shop the glow plugs are working. Any suggestions? I heard the Webasto heaters are the new thing and work well and are easy to install to assist in keeping the radiator fluid warm.

I'd check your glow plugs and controller again.
My dad had a 99 powerstroke since new, had to replace the glow plugs a few times over the years.

When it does crank eventually, does it smoke and skip badly? Those were his symptoms when the injectors failed.

If your batteries, grounds, glow plug relay, all 8 glow plugs and uvc harnesses are ok. First I’d look for obvious things like making sure it has enough oil in it& checking for fuel or oil in the valley. Make sure neither of those systems are leaking down causing a loss of prime on either system. Second I’d make sure the oil reservoir is full and not leaking back. 3rd I’d check to verify my cranking rpms is in excess of 250rpm, base engine oil pressure is instant and minimum icp reading is 500 while cranking. If it is stumbling and/or has white/grey smoke the excessive fuel could be from continuous cranking and not necessarily a bad/worn or leaking injector.

Does it restart hot? (170+* coolant temp after letting it sit for a couple minutes) If so, is white/grey smoke present upon hot restart? Is it stumbling? Do a buzz test and a cylinder contribution test. If the valve covers are off, make sure all injectors are properly tq’d (you wouldn’t believe how many hold downs I’ve seen loose and had to re-oring the injectors)

Do you run oil and fuel additives? What mods are done to the truck? And is there a specific temperature it starts to act up at? (35ish*?) I’m assuming it cranks for 8-12seconds before it starts?? Do you have a block heater? If so and you plug it in does it make a difference?

Last edited:
The Hammer,

Block heater works great, approx. 30 agrees is when it gets tough. It restarts hot, no problem. The truck starts no problem all the time but when it gets cold 30 or below it starts to get real cranky. I have to cycle the plugs multiple times and when it does start it's a white smoke blowing son of a bitch, which I'm assuming the excess fuel. Have a chip and never use the high performance setting very modest. I run no fuel additives and use Schaeffers oil since I purchased the truck.

Have that actual glow plugs been inspected to see if there worn out? Had a 7.3 with 120k miles that wouldnt start when cold until we replaced the glow plugs.

Have that actual glow plugs been inspected to see if there worn out? Had a 7.3 with 120k miles that wouldnt start when cold until we replaced the glow plugs.

Imo based on 16years of working on these, if you are in the northern hemisphere the glowplugs and the glow plug relay are annual service components. Some of these aftermarket plugs test fine with a meter but the body separates from the heating filament. But it would have to be 4 of more cylinders not working for it not to start, these engines will run on one bank. I’m guessing the fuel line orings are the actual suspect, but without looking at the truck, it’s hard to say.

Back