A/C rebuild.....still no A/C

9 LIVES

Demolition Expert
So I just had the A/C re-done in my 95 dually. They put all new components in and the truck made it half way home and the A/C quit blowing cold and was only blowing warm air.

I brought it back and they found that the low pressure sensor had failed it was bad from the factory.

Pick up the truck and the A/C worked until half way home AGAIN!

Dropped the truck off for the 3rd time and they said that the A/C is working great and they tried many times to get it to fail and they couldn't get it to not work. So I picked it up and ran to a local home depot and it worked all the way to the store. Get back in to head home and NO A/C again! This shop is an honest shop, they just can't replicate my issue. Sure if they drove the truck for a little while it would start acting up again. I checked the lines and they are not freezing over. What else could cause it to work momentarily?

Before the last time I dropped it off I used the truck for a solid week before I had an opening in my schedule to drop the truck off. I would check daily to see if the A/C was working and could never get it to blow cold....only ambient temps. I've looked under the truck and the compressor isn't kicking on...but every time I drop it off it works for them!

I have lived with no A/C in the truck for the last 5 years. I just hate that I dumped $700+ into fixing the A/C and it doesn't work. Kinda wish I just left it alone:doh:

Sure sounds aggravating.

So, you pick it up and it works, then quits after a few minutes and then it works again when you take it back without them doing anything to it?

Have you driven straight back to them when it quits working for them to check it then or are you having to take it back the next day?

I'm usually bringing it back several days later. I pick it up right as they are closing, so unfortunately driving right back isn't an option.

Yeah, you need to somehow pick it up when you have a chance to drive it a bit and still have time to return before they're gone.

With intermittent issues we always had to ride with the customer to verify the fault. It's frustrating as a customer, and nothing worse than having someone call BS on your diag

Turned out to be a failing relay under the hood. Tech pulled relay, took it apart and could tell some contact points were heavily worn on an angle.

I don't know about that, I know I still had a horn and no A/C. Mine is a 95....maybe it is so with another year.

All the relays in the PDC are interchangeable on the ‘95. To test a relay, swap a known good one, such as the horn relay, with the one you think is bad. If the horn still works, it wasn’t the relay.

Back