Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > General Diesel Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

General Diesel Tech Farm equipment, Medium Duty, Big Rigs, and other General discussion can be found in here.

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 08:56 AM   #1
DirtyMaxx03

Name: DirtyMaxx03
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
2 blown Cummins 450 ISX motors in 2 weeks...

We run 9 KW's here at work, all have a 450hp ISX cummins in them. Trucks are 2012's with around 250,000 miles on them. About a week ago we tow a truck in from Vanning to San Antonio with a rod hanging out of the block. Last night another truck died, spun bearing (we think) and seized the motor, wont turn over.

The KW truck itself is great, the motors in all of them are garbage. Since brand new they have all burnt 2-3 gallons of oil on a 3300 mile trip and none of them seem to hold coolant for very long. I give it another week until we blow another motor.

Anyone else running these trash ISX 450's?

Old 12-19-2013, 05:01 PM   #2
cumminstech2010

Name: cumminstech2010
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
The ceramic plungers in the fuel pumps are known for going bad and breaking apart and going thru the oil side and trashing literally the entire engine see it all the time at work right around the 250k mark. As to burning water they also have counter bore issues and liners are dropping requiring the block to be cut and add liner shims to get the liners back up high

They call me Barney

Old 12-19-2013, 05:09 PM   #3
DirtyMaxx03

Member`s Gallery
So they're all pieces of ****. I **** y'all not, the money we spend every week keeping oil in these motors could fund another 145k truck payment easily.

They have some serious oil problems. We lose turbos all the time too. Major dpf issues every week.

A broken DEF heater hose stopped our truck for 3 days, bull****

Okay rant over

Old 12-19-2013, 05:25 PM   #4
cumminstech2010

Member`s Gallery
You can blame all his on the EPA.

They call me Barney

Old 12-19-2013, 05:30 PM   #5
DirtyMaxx03

Member`s Gallery
Well our last batch of freightliners with Detroits were dpf'dand egr'd motors. Not a single major motor problem in 500,000 miles. Only got rid of that batch cause the truck around the motor was falling apart.

700 gallons of def a month is getting old quick tho. And DEF heater hoses

Old 12-19-2013, 05:36 PM   #6
cumminstech2010

Member`s Gallery
I know paccar has known issues for def heater hoses. I know where you're comin from i see these issues everyday. There are some updates to help with regen issues. Have to go to cummins dealer for it. They have changed the fuel pumps to a better design. It's hit miss on the fuel pumps tho I've seen them last 600,000+ to 180,000. I think fuel cleanliness has some to do with it but I'm sure there is more.

They call me Barney

Old 12-19-2013, 06:30 PM   #7
DirtyMaxx03

Member`s Gallery
They're fully serviced every 24,000 miles. And each truck has been to the dealer multiple times for dpf related issues alone. We take a truck in and they clean the dpf and put it back in, we take the same truck in a week later with a clogged ass dpf and they'll replace it. They won't warranty a new one without doing a cleaning first. About another month and all these trucks are gone. My father has never gotten rid of a fleet with under 400k miles but he wants Detroits back under the hoods.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:39 PM   #8
97rada

Name: 97rada
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyMaxx03 View Post
They're fully serviced every 24,000 miles. And each truck has been to the dealer multiple times for dpf related issues alone. We take a truck in and they clean the dpf and put it back in, we take the same truck in a week later with a clogged ass dpf and they'll replace it. They won't warranty a new one without doing a cleaning first. About another month and all these trucks are gone. My father has never gotten rid of a fleet with under 400k miles but he wants Detroits back under the hoods.
Take it back to a Better shop. Dpf's are plugging for a reason. Coolant and oil issues all could have been taken care of under warranty

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex...it takes a touch of genius- and alot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:42 PM   #9
DirtyMaxx03

Member`s Gallery
Most of the trucks have been to several different Dealerships from Texas to California. The service manager at our local French Ellison is well aware of all the issues.

Is there a lemon law for heavy duty trucks?

Old 12-19-2013, 06:53 PM   #10
biggy238

Name: biggy238
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Most of the trucks have been to several different Dealerships from Texas to California. The service manager at our local French Ellison is well aware of all the issues.

Not one that can't be defeated by a dealership.

Your dealership should have already had you filling out oil consumption logs to validate a warranty claim.
Are you going to Cummins dealers or chassis dealers?

Monkey Fist Rage

05.5 Campanella White TDi Jetta 5spd 45.5MPG
-Little Sexy
'10 Silver F250 CCLB 4X4 6.4L cummins Swapped
Insta @trash.panda250

Old 12-19-2013, 07:13 PM   #11
cumminstech2010

Member`s Gallery
Sounds to me like someone ain't doin their job or don't know what they are doing. Cleaning the Dpf does not keep It from being plugged up again there are upstream failures possibly oil or coolant contamination or turbo / egr valve high or low pressure fuel system or hydrocarbon injector. Or possibly a stuck in range Dpf differential pressure sensor or exhaust pressure sensor.

They call me Barney

Last edited by cumminstech2010; 12-19-2013 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Misspelled words

Old 12-20-2013, 12:36 PM   #12
97rada

Member`s Gallery
Quote:

You say dealership as in kenworth? Your better off to go to a cummins shop. Like said above, all those issues are easy to
Take care of.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex...it takes a touch of genius- and alot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Old 12-20-2013, 02:23 PM   #13
lorendiesel5.9

Name: lorendiesel5.9
Title: OG Hunnybadger
Member`s Gallery
Get yourself some Western Stars if ya want the Detroit motor. Much sturdier built truck than Freightliner. Or better yet order some KW gliders w/12.7L Detroits thru Fitzgerald.

97 #12vqclbmafia slipping auto

00 Pete 378 12.7 Detroit 10spd

03 Pete 379 6NZ Caterpillar 18spd

Old 12-20-2013, 04:32 PM   #14
Leiffi

Name: Leiffi
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cumminstech2010 View Post
You can blame all his on the EPA.
No, just blame those greedy manufacturers who want to save money at every part of production. Caterpillar went too far and lost all of their market share. Is Cummins next ? Only europeans will be left.

Old 12-20-2013, 04:38 PM   #15
DirtyMaxx03

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97rada View Post
You say dealership as in kenworth? Your better off to go to a cummins shop. Like said above, all those issues are easy to
Take care of.
As in French Ellison Truck Center. Paccar and Cummins dealer. All their techs are cummins or paccar cert.

I feel like they know what the problem is and can afford to replace these little things (egr coolers, dpf's, turbos) under warranty rather then actually spend the significant amount of money to basically rebuild 9 motors. Once the warranty is expired it's no longer their problem

Old 12-20-2013, 04:41 PM   #16
97rada

Member`s Gallery
Hey man just giving suggestions. I see these engines daily and what your talking about shouldn't happen. When in doubt get the 500k coverage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 12-20-2013, 04:47 PM   #17
DirtyMaxx03

Member`s Gallery
They're gettin traded in way ahead of schedule. Whole new fleet coming beginning of the year.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:01 PM   #18
jfaulkner

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiffi View Post
No, just blame those greedy manufacturers who want to save money at every part of production. Caterpillar went too far and lost all of their market share. Is Cummins next ? Only europeans will be left.
Lol because we all know Europeans never build junk.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:29 PM   #19
95towrigdodge

Name: 95towrigdodge
Title: sorta a sleeper
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
We run 9 KW's here at work, all have a 450hp ISX cummins in them. Trucks are 2012's with around 250,000 miles on them. About a week ago we tow a truck in from Vanning to San Antonio with a rod hanging out of the block. Last night another truck died, spun bearing (we think) and seized the motor, wont turn over.

The KW truck itself is great, the motors in all of them are garbage. Since brand new they have all burnt 2-3 gallons of oil on a 3300 mile trip and none of them seem to hold coolant for very long. I give it another week until we blow another motor.

Anyone else running these trash ISX 450's?
lemme tell you a few things about the ISX being as i work at Cummins.

Ceramic plungers- shatter, go thru the oil system take out everything, literally, i have pictures and have seen this many times. i approve engine swings because of this failure.

the coolant usage- 2 things that are very common, EGR cooler of course, the 2nd one is counterbore fretting, the liners are rotating inside the counterbore and taking out the machining marks aka fretting, the first sign would be a blown head gasket, tech measures protrusion and says hey got tilted liners, pull all 6 cut the counterbores and put the new updated liners in it.

oil usage- THE MOST COMMON thing that happens to these things is what is called carbon packing. what happens is carbon will pack inside the ringlands, pushing on the rings, making the rings have full face wear and polishing the liners. Cummins has come out with a reduced diameter piston to fix this issue, however they do re carbon pack every so often.

THE NEW CM2350s since theyve been released, they have issues with the oil pump drive gear cracking. instantanious loss of oil pressure from this, and turbo sector shafts seizing up.

if you guys ever need anything feel free to pm me or call, text i dont care. i do this every day and theres not a whole lot i havent seen on all the engines cummins produces.

Cummins is coming out with a new engine that will not have a DPF and still meets tier 4 emissions. i can help you keep these things on the road if you can hold off a couple years till it comes out. im not releasing any information for my own sake.

Old 12-21-2013, 10:35 AM   #20
97rada

Member`s Gallery
^^^ what do you do for them? Dfse?

Closed Thread