Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Drag Racing
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Drag Racing Where ALL Racers are Welcome- From ET Bracket, all the way to ProStreet and Top Diesel!

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 10:45 PM   #21
lorendiesel5.9

Name: lorendiesel5.9
Title: OG Hunnybadger
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAmiller View Post
I wasn't planning on losing because I didn't put enough power into it

It was bad, i was a little rattled from the thrash we did in the pits right before the pass and was trying to bang a light, the lights didn't drop when they normally would and i was creeping up on boost and got to the point where it was either let off or go. 100% driver error either way.

Lavon
Considering the truck didn't have a head on it half an hr before this pass I'd say you get an exception.

97 #12vqclbmafia slipping auto

00 Pete 378 12.7 Detroit 10spd

03 Pete 379 6NZ Caterpillar 18spd

Old 05-24-2016, 06:35 AM   #22
97rada

Name: 97rada
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorendiesel5.9 View Post
Considering the truck didn't have a head on it half an hr before this pass I'd say you get an exception.

Any details on that ? I didn't attend

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex...it takes a touch of genius- and alot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:41 AM   #23
4x4dually

Name: 4x4dually
Title: Moderator
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Truth. There was at least 9 people under that hood....whether they were supposed to be or not. It's one thing to help out when asked, it's another to be in the way of the crew that built the truck.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:42 AM   #24
BRE

Name: BRE
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dually View Post
Truth. There was at least 9 people under that hood....whether they were supposed to be or not. It's one thing to help out when asked, it's another to be in the way of the crew that built the truck.

This...
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
There really is nothing better than OEM. That goes for anything from turbos to boobs.
RIP Dex KCCO

Old 05-24-2016, 08:05 AM   #25
oldestof11

Name: oldestof11
Title: Drag racer
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dually View Post

I stood there and watched most of the time. They were not letting Lavon near the engine... For good reasons I might add. Lavon was there to hit the starter button. they just got it started and running right about 10mins before he needed to be up there. The guys working yelled at Lavon to get dressed while they put the valve cover, intake, lines, bumper, front clip, and a couple other little things back on. By the time he was dressed, the truck was ready to run looking like nothing ever happened. I saw only 2 people in there that weren't employed by Firepunk.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:09 AM   #26
LAmiller

Name: LAmiller
Title: THE KT-BOUNDARY
Member`s Gallery
We cracked the head in the exhaust ports and between rounds i left the water pump running to cool it down, not realizing I was filling a cylinder with water, so we first thought the starter took a crap, and after a new starter still didn't crank it, we pulled injectors, blew all the water out of the cylinder and ran the last pass dry.

We are running way too hot for 1/4mile racing without water injection, something we learned on the engine dyno. We'll be getting a big water injection setup on the truck as soon as possible but it takes a datalogger and time to get setup correctly. I've been trying to hold off on the Racepak order until I recover financially from shutting the shop down for a week to go to UCC, but will probably just need to get it here so we can get the water on it before we take out another head.

Click the image to open in full size.
http://www.shop.firepunk.com

Old 05-24-2016, 08:34 AM   #27
Timbeaux

Name: Timbeaux
Title: Administrator and Head Thread Derailer
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
We cracked the head in the exhaust ports and between rounds i left the water pump running to cool it down, not realizing I was filling a cylinder with water, so we first thought the starter took a crap, and after a new starter still didn't crank it, we pulled injectors, blew all the water out of the cylinder and ran the last pass dry.

We are running way too hot for 1/4mile racing without water injection, something we learned on the engine dyno. We'll be getting a big water injection setup on the truck as soon as possible but it takes a datalogger and time to get setup correctly. I've been trying to hold off on the Racepak order until I recover financially from shutting the shop down for a week to go to UCC, but will probably just need to get it here so we can get the water on it before we take out another head.

Sorry about the bad luck, but your team's determination is unreal. You guys set a fine example.
NO LIMIT FAB, DIESEL SOUTH, DC CUSTOMS
Quote:
"I just love everything about racing. I wanna race every single day. Its nothing for me to be cutting grass and the neighbor hoss the gas on his mower, and there we are, lined up in the the middle of the street." - Stevie KillinTime Jackson
"Against stupidity, the gods themselves fight unvictorious."

Old 05-24-2016, 06:00 PM   #28
LAmiller

Member`s Gallery
This was on a moderate tune and it would max out the Pyro at 1798* through the whole run.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:08 PM   #29
LAmiller

Member`s Gallery
Water injection should take care of it, but Drew is leaving a little more material in the exhaust port too for a little more durability to extreme heat.

Old 05-25-2016, 12:43 AM   #30
AHall

Name: AHall
Title: Hobbyist
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Water injection should take care of it, but Drew is leaving a little more material in the exhaust port too for a little more durability to extreme heat.
What route were you planning on going for the water injection system?

Prostreet F-100 Build Thread

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/for...112541&page=24

Old 05-25-2016, 01:26 AM   #31
Ackerdiesel

Name: Ackerdiesel
Member`s Gallery
Quote:

Head didn't come off. But there was one of the maddest thrashes I've ever seen. Those guys kicked ass getting that thing back running.

Ryan
BD Diesel Performance
Diesel Performance Converters
Pro Street Diesel
Drivelines Plus
Done Right Diesel Performance
Firepunk

Old 05-25-2016, 05:03 AM   #32
Woosley

Name: Woosley
Title: Barely was has been
Member`s Gallery
Team Firepunk is a well oiled machine, that works together day in, and day out. They know each others strengths, and weaknesses, and dictate work accordingly, both in the shop, and at the track. The results of that planning are VERY noticeable!
Firepunk Diesel
D&J Precision Machine
Exergy Performance
Diesel Performance Converters

Old 05-25-2016, 07:10 AM   #33
DIESEL_POWER

Name: DIESEL_POWER
Title: NGM Diesel
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
This was on a moderate tune and it would max out the Pyro at 1798* through the whole run.
I'd be very interested to see if your drive psi exceed boost at the same time egts got hot and stayed hot. Other wise more exhaust duration and lift would help.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:40 AM   #34
LAmiller

Member`s Gallery
We kept boost/drive really close to 1:1, after 1900HP we made a manifold charger change that dropped boost/drive by about 10psi and gained HP, but pretty much all the runs over 1900HP would max the pyro at 1798* during the stabilize time and stay pegged during the run. Paul Marlette (dyno operator) comes from the tractor pulling world and couldn't believe how hot it was without melting down, we just didn't come prepared to add a water injection system on the dyno, so we were hoping to get by most of the summer without, but we're seeing that we're just going to wreck heads without it.

On this run, you can see boost/drive on the right two columns. Drive being the far right. This was about as far a spread as we saw on the engine dyno, and after the manifold charger change we still saw 1:1 at max power.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:49 AM   #35
DIESEL_POWER

Name: DIESEL_POWER
Title: NGM Diesel
Member`s Gallery
That explains the high egt and drive psi correlation. Sounds like you got it straight. As far as egt max, we've rune 2100 with our truck down track never a issue, every engine is a bit different I suppose.

Bit more exhaust relief would help you imo. (camshaft duration and lift, lsa, wastgates , valve size, ect

Old 05-25-2016, 12:45 PM   #36
JQmile

Name: JQmile
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
I'd be curious to see how much a big electric kit from Scheid could cool it down.

Old 05-25-2016, 01:05 PM   #37
Ford diesel girl

Name: Ford diesel girl
Title: aka Pinky aka Chemobioite
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woosley View Post
Team Firepunk is a well oiled machine, that works together day in, and day out. They know each others strengths, and weaknesses, and dictate work accordingly, both in the shop, and at the track. The results of that planning are VERY noticeable!
This. So much this. They were amazing to watch both on and off the track - impressive isn't even the word for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostnwalmart View Post
You do realize you're talking to a woman who ate the beating heart of a lion? Has knife fought grizzly bears and has a much bigger set of balls than you and your coal oraling self will ever have.

Old 05-25-2016, 01:05 PM   #38
Bponci

Name: Bponci
Title: rookie
Member`s Gallery
I built my system and it keeps them in check very well. Just have to be creative. I'm sure Lavon wont have a issue in that department.
Daughter with a badass 1st gen 12mm VE 11.64@117mph

Old 05-25-2016, 01:11 PM   #39
AHall

Name: AHall
Title: Hobbyist
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQmile View Post
I'd be curious to see how much a big electric kit from Scheid could cool it down.
There may be better options than an overweight repurposed 12v hydraulic pump.

Prostreet F-100 Build Thread

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/for...112541&page=24

Old 05-25-2016, 01:33 PM   #40
SHughes

Name: SHughes
Title: Too much is never enough!
Member`s Gallery
Such as?

Closed Thread