Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Drag Racing
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Drag Racing Where ALL Racers are Welcome- From ET Bracket, all the way to ProStreet and Top Diesel!

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 07:52 PM   #1
John Robinson

Name: John Robinson
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Mahle Monotherms,2 years later.

As many of yall know we have been running these pistons for 2 years now. There was alot of unknowns when we first put them in. The extra weight of an all steel piston spinning at 5800 rpm was a little scary at first but 2 years later i can safley say that it isnt a problem. The set i have is 380 grams heavier than a stock piston. The next generation monotherms are around 100 grams lighter. After the first season on them we tore it down & measured for rod distortion & found none!!We put it all back together rings..bearings & all & ran them all last year. We tore it down for this season & all was still good. I am changing the rings this time but everything else is going right back in there. Keep in mind that year before last we had a n2o backfire while spooling up & midway down the track the cylinder wall blew out. We re-used that piston as well. I dont care what anybody says....Nitrous is HOT!! We saw at least 2200 degrees on each & every pass & they are still flawless. This will be year 3 & I am impressed. No they are not cheap...Good stuff never is, you get what you pay for. My Mahle pistons were worth the investment in every way. They let you get by with murder as far as your tuneup goes. The next generation pistons will be a little higher compression & are aimed at the common rail market but should do just fine for the older 24 valves. They can be ran in a 12 v with some injector fiddleing but i dont know what exactley. The pistons i have are .026 below a stock deck height. The new ones will be a little higher. Here are some pics after 2 years of pure hell. There are some shiny spots between the rings on some but its cosmetic. The micrometer says no metal is missing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg securedownload.jpg (34.6 KB, 307 views)
File Type: jpg securedownload1.jpg (35.5 KB, 294 views)
File Type: jpg securedownload2.jpg (36.5 KB, 262 views)
File Type: jpg securedownload4.jpg (40.6 KB, 263 views)

Old 02-08-2010, 08:07 PM   #2
JasonCzerak

Name: JasonCzerak
Member`s Gallery
Is this kind of piston ok for a daily driver?

Old 02-08-2010, 08:09 PM   #3
SKYNYRD

Name: SKYNYRD
Title: "Drunkard"
Member`s Gallery
john what rods are those??
01 & 03 VW Golf TDI
05 rcsb 2wd (in progress)
ROSKOE115: "It's ain't avatar material but I'd hit it!"

Old 02-08-2010, 08:13 PM   #4
Begle1

Name: Begle1
Member`s Gallery
I think that you're proving the value of these things. If they can make them lighter than stock while maintaining the strength,,, it's an exciting proposition at least.

How many sets are out there? Last I heard they weren't currently making them. If somebody called up Mahle with several thousand dollars, could they get the pistons off the shelf or be put on a short list?

Old 02-08-2010, 08:27 PM   #5
John Robinson

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCzerak View Post
Is this kind of piston ok for a daily driver?
I havent done it but i cant see why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYNYRD View Post
john what rods are those??
Regular old brazilians.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Begle1 View Post
I think that you're proving the value of these things. If they can make them lighter than stock while maintaining the strength,,, it's an exciting proposition at least.
Ive sure asked about that several times. It`s got something to do with the tooling it requires to make them. As i understand it they would have to start all over & build new moulds. The new design will be around 220 heavier but i have yet to see the weight be a problem of any kind. I will take reliability any day.
How many sets are out there? Last I heard they weren't currently making them. If somebody called up Mahle with several thousand dollars, could they get the pistons off the shelf or be put on a short list?
The sets like i am running are all gone. I believe there were 4 or 5 sets made of the first batch. They are supposed to be making many more of the new generation pistons. They have been very pleased with what we have shown them with our set. The response has been very good for them. The new ones should be ready pretty soon. Keep in touch & i will get you some more info.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:32 PM   #6
Joesixpack

Name: Joesixpack
Title: Pull'n it.
Member`s Gallery
Couldn't agree more, love my monotherms and they are running in a CR engine. Its not my daily driver, but as far as I'm concerned I don't see why not.
I put them in my last build after quizzing John up on them.

And damn! 5800 rpm.....balls of steel I say.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:33 PM   #7
SKYNYRD

Member`s Gallery
if they made a set for a 6.7 i might run them in my new build.
01 & 03 VW Golf TDI

Old 02-08-2010, 08:34 PM   #8
John Robinson

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesixpack View Post
Couldn't agree more, love my monotherms and they are running in a CR engine. Its not my daily driver, but as far as I'm concerned I don't see why not.
I put them in my last build after quizzing John up on them.

And damn! 5800 rpm.....balls of steel I say.
Did you actually cc them & figure out the true compression ratio?

Old 02-08-2010, 08:36 PM   #9
John Robinson

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYNYRD View Post
if they made a set for a 6.7 i might run them in my new build.
Yea no kidding! There is prolly a market there but not enough to justify the cost of production.....Yet

Old 02-08-2010, 08:40 PM   #10
paint94979

Name: paint94979
Member`s Gallery
may i ask what the ballpark price was for them?

Old 02-08-2010, 08:50 PM   #11
Joesixpack

Name: Joesixpack
Title: Pull'n it.
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
Did you actually cc them & figure out the true compression ratio?

Yeah, after decking the block .010 and using a thicker MLS with the .044 crush thickness, it worked out right around the 15.1:1. Which is were I wanted to be for that 1k+.

Balanced it to 0grams and it is amazing how smooth it runs at 4k (Damned Electronics).

The extra weight has to cost some hp, did some calculations but didn't get to far.

Running a common melt down rail I'll take the HP hit for peace of mind.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:57 PM   #12
John Robinson

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by paint94979 View Post
may i ask what the ballpark price was for them?
above 500 & below 700 each. I know thats alot but they are well worth it IMO. If it means waiting a little longer & saving up for the purchase i would still buy them. It will more than likely be the last set of pistons you buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesixpack View Post
Yeah, after decking the block .010 and using a thicker MLS with the .044 crush thickness, it worked out right around the 15.1:1. Which is were I wanted to be for that 1k+.

Balanced it to 0grams and it is amazing how smooth it runs at 4k (Damned Electronics).

The extra weight has to cost some hp, did some calculations but didn't get to far.

Running a common melt down rail I'll take the HP hit for peace of mind.
Sounds good Joe.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:05 PM   #13
SKYNYRD

Member`s Gallery
like i said john they need a set of 6.7 pistons and i would be breaking the bank. you have made me feel better about the rods i have now.
01 & 03 VW Golf TDI

Old 02-08-2010, 10:27 PM   #14
paint94979

Name: paint94979
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
above 500 & below 700 each. I know thats alot but they are well worth it IMO. If it means waiting a little longer & saving up for the purchase i would still buy them. It will more than likely be the last set of pistons you buy.

Sounds good Joe.
Thank you i appreciate the honesty... that doesn't seem too bad for pistons that have lasted up to what you have put them through. Any idea how many passes you have made with them?

Old 02-08-2010, 11:37 PM   #15
John Robinson

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stock600 View Post
Thier cool thats for sure John, glad thier working well also. Id talked to Eric ealier in the year about doing some for me in a 12v design and he said they'd just be to damn heavy to make, he seen no way at the time 'due to the offset bowl' to make them come in under 11 pounds each -wow-. The same 2200+ degrees ive ran this summer sure tore up more crap 'alum' slugs than your steel units, so ya for the 24v guys that abuse them Id say try them. .026" down... hum Im .028" out of the hole, we'll see.?.
I hear rumors of a guy named Keaton that has the ability to make these pistons work in a 12 valve.....If anybody could it would be him.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:01 AM   #16
TMONEYDIESEL

Name: TMONEYDIESEL
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Micheal Keaton? As in Batman?

I was ordering a set about a year ago or more and they had one set left that someone had called dibs on, when they told the person I wanted them they bought them. So Im waiting on the lighter set now.

YOUR SOURCE FOR:
Camshafts
Pushrods
Valve springs
Custom Turbos
Exhaust Manifolds
Carrillo Connecting rods

Old 02-09-2010, 09:16 PM   #17
Blacksdieselhp

Name: Blacksdieselhp
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Definately keep us posted on the new ones John. I am ready to buy a set as sonn as they are available.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:59 AM   #18
John Robinson

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by paint94979 View Post
Thank you i appreciate the honesty... that doesn't seem too bad for pistons that have lasted up to what you have put them through. Any idea how many passes you have made with them?
We did 10 events last year & 9 the year before. Add up all the test sessions & around 100 would be a safe bet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stock600 View Post
Thier cool thats for sure John, glad thier working well also. Id talked to Eric ealier in the year about doing some for me in a 12v design and he said they'd just be to damn heavy to make, he seen no way at the time 'due to the offset bowl' to make them come in under 11 pounds each -wow-. The same 2200+ degrees ive ran this summer sure tore up more crap 'alum' slugs than your steel units, so ya for the 24v guys that abuse them Id say try them. .026" down... hum Im .028" out of the hole, we'll see.?.
Correction: They are .024 down in the hole. Best i recall they have a set of 12v already?

Old 02-10-2010, 07:34 AM   #19
mikmaze

Name: mikmaze
Member`s Gallery
truly impressive, anything else downstream take a hit from those temps ? seems the blades on the hot side would not be too happy.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:46 AM   #20
Dalpilot

Name: Dalpilot
Title: Joe Nobody!
Member`s Gallery
I think that would Be "Keaton" Shelly. Some folks call him by his name, Keating Shelly, but the Aledo area of Texas tends to not get it right.

John, those pistons look familiar for some reason. There simply is no replacement for a quality part. WIth the beating those have taken, they are well worth the investment.

Closed Thread