Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Drag Racing
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Drag Racing Where ALL Racers are Welcome- From ET Bracket, all the way to ProStreet and Top Diesel!

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 11:20 PM   #1
SMOKIN-U

Name: SMOKIN-U
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
front coil spring

i have heard of guys putting coil springs out of a half ton on their trucks. i was wondering what the difference is? are they shorter, softer? whats the benefit of doing this? thanks

Old 02-21-2010, 11:25 PM   #2
SKYNYRD

Name: SKYNYRD
Title: "Drunkard"
Member`s Gallery
the coil springs out of the 1/2 tons is a softer spring and will lower the front end of the truck about a inch or two. lowering the front end will help with keeping the weight down on the front of the truck and pull more level. kinda like blocking the rear.
01 & 03 VW Golf TDI
05 rcsb 2wd (in progress)
ROSKOE115: "It's ain't avatar material but I'd hit it!"

Old 02-21-2010, 11:27 PM   #3
Lucky Jeff

Name: Lucky Jeff
Title: Stock Sucks
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKIN-U View Post
i have heard of guys putting coil springs out of a half ton on their trucks. i was wondering what the difference is? are they shorter, softer? whats the benefit of doing this? thanks
http://www.coilsprings.com/

I was quoted 228 for a new pair of springs for my truck. 2" lower then stock.. They will make them whatever height you want, and softer or stiffer then stock. A friend on a local diesel forum used them to build a leveling coil on his truck and was very happy with them
02 Grand Cherokee - ummmmm?
http://www.facebook.com/JBrentson

Old 02-22-2010, 12:04 AM   #4
fordcummins

Name: fordcummins
Title: Showoff
Member`s Gallery
I have a 2001 4x4 dodge and i took my leveling kit out but am scared to cut my stock ones down cause as it is my track bar is so close to my diff

Old 02-22-2010, 12:35 AM   #5
SMOKIN-U

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYNYRD View Post
the coil springs out of the 1/2 tons is a softer spring and will lower the front end of the truck about a inch or two. lowering the front end will help with keeping the weight down on the front of the truck and pull more level. kinda like blocking the rear.
i was oping that was the case. are they a direct bolt up? if so i might try and get some from a salvage yard locally and see how it works. thanks

Old 02-22-2010, 07:06 AM   #6
SKYNYRD

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKIN-U View Post
i was oping that was the case. are they a direct bolt up? if so i might try and get some from a salvage yard locally and see how it works. thanks
Yes they are a direct swap for the stock springs.
01 & 03 VW Golf TDI

Old 02-22-2010, 07:08 AM   #7
DSLWSL

Name: DSLWSL
Title: diesel nut
Member`s Gallery
I ran half ton coils in my pull truck last season and I will tell you that if you are DD this truck you will have next to no suspension travel. In fact mine sat right on the bump stops. The only travel I had was the deflection from the front tires. I put these in because where I pull we weren't allowed to hang weights and wanted to keep the front end down. It is a good set-up for what I had though. Hope this helps

Kris

Old 02-22-2010, 07:14 AM   #8
willtravel

Name: willtravel
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordcummins View Post
I have a 2001 4x4 dodge and i took my leveling kit out but am scared to cut my stock ones down cause as it is my track bar is so close to my diff
Did you have to replace the steel ring that was originally on top of the coil?
My truck came with the leveling kit and I want to lower it for drag racing.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:19 AM   #9
DSLWSL

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by willtravel View Post
Did you have to replace the steel ring that was originally on top of the coil?
My truck came with the leveling kit and I want to lower it for drag racing.
The steel ring usually has to be removed because the levelling kit has the bolts attached to it. At least mine did, but there may be other kits out there that you dont.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:34 AM   #10
willtravel

Name: willtravel
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSLWSL View Post
The steel ring usually has to be removed because the levelling kit has the bolts attached to it. At least mine did, but there may be other kits out there that you dont.
So, do I need to replace it to remove the lift kit or do I just take the spacer out?

Old 02-22-2010, 09:38 AM   #11
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYNYRD View Post
will lower the front end of the truck about a inch or two. lowering the front end will help with keeping the weight down on the front of the truck

I would like to see the FBD that shows this is the case.
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 02-22-2010, 10:14 AM   #12
SKYNYRD

Member`s Gallery
the weight of the truck is pivoting around the rear axle so if the front spring is pushing up on the front end then the hitch in the back is lowered as the weight is added. the lower you can keep the front end and the hitch height up you are not pulling the sled straight you are lifting up on the pan. the higher that you can keep the hitch height the more lift you are putting on the pan therefore reducing the drag force of the pan.
01 & 03 VW Golf TDI

Old 02-22-2010, 10:17 AM   #13
j-rod

Name: j-rod
Title: Up to no good
Member`s Gallery
Are we talking about using these for drag racing or pulling?

14 CC LB
99 QC LB
01 TDI

Old 02-22-2010, 10:22 AM   #14
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
While it "sounds good" while your explaining it, it doesn't appear to work that way.

The weight is still pivoting around the rear axle regardless of how low the front end is correct?

They are both starting from a 26" hitch height correct?

I am open to learning on this, but the chain doesn't care how it is hooked, all that it cares about is hitch height.

Given the same drawbar length if you pull down x inches on the back it will raise the front y inches. This is determined by wheelbase.

There are lots of other tricks to use, lowering the front end to get a different angle of attach probably isn't a big one.
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 02-22-2010, 10:57 AM   #15
DSLWSL

Member`s Gallery
I only did this to lower the front because we werent allowed to add weight ahead of the box. This worked well for me in my set-up as it picked the front up about 6" and truck ran level down the track. This set-up would not be very nice for a DD though.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:59 AM   #16
DSLWSL

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by willtravel View Post
So, do I need to replace it to remove the lift kit or do I just take the spacer out?
If your leveling kit has the bolts attached to it for the shock tower then yes you will have to get the ring.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:31 AM   #17
SKYNYRD

Member`s Gallery
sorry got side tracked there as for drag racing the advantage of the softer spring up front is when you launch from the line the rear wheels lift the front of the vehicle dude to the torque. with the longer springs from our trucks which allows it to sit level also pushes up on the front end while the torque is lifting on the front end transferring the weight to the rear. the object is to get the weight transfer to the rear wheels in a 2wd but in a 4wd leaving the line level is ideal due to all 4 wheels biting for traction. allowing the front end to drop also cuts the air from under the front of the truck and pushes it over the top. if you ever watch a dragster leave the line in slow motion the weight does not seem to shift very far to the rear axle also their wheelie bars are set to only a few inches off the ground cause they do not want the front end to lift.
01 & 03 VW Golf TDI

Old 02-22-2010, 12:26 PM   #18
SMOKIN-U

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zstroken View Post
While it "sounds good" while your explaining it, it doesn't appear to work that way.

The weight is still pivoting around the rear axle regardless of how low the front end is correct?

They are both starting from a 26" hitch height correct?

I am open to learning on this, but the chain doesn't care how it is hooked, all that it cares about is hitch height.

Given the same drawbar length if you pull down x inches on the back it will raise the front y inches. This is determined by wheelbase.

There are lots of other tricks to use, lowering the front end to get a different angle of attach probably isn't a big one.

i was thinking of it as leverage especially since i have a shorter wheel base than a 4 door truck. My thinking is if the front were 2" lower it would be that much more leverage and make it harder for the rear to lift the front up when the pan drops on the sled. that inturn would keep the pan higher and gain footage. i dont know what i am talking about so please explain if i am wrong. thanks

Old 02-22-2010, 12:36 PM   #19
SKYNYRD

Member`s Gallery
the sled is going to put the same force on the truck no matter what it is going to cause the truck to lift the same distance. but if you start with the front end lower to the ground it will not lift the front end as far off the ground therefore keeping the weight out over the front of the truck and not on the rear axle.
01 & 03 VW Golf TDI

Old 02-22-2010, 12:45 PM   #20
SMOKIN-U

Member`s Gallery
thats what i was trying to say. and that would in turn give the front tires more traction. im sold

Closed Thread