4020 took a dump. Ideas?

4x4dually

Driving the 4020 the other day. Just left the cattle lot after putting out a hay bale. Mid RPM's in 5th gear, just cruising through the pasture road.

The engine let out a squeal, locked up, shut the entire tractor down in a quick second. After getting my ass back in the seat, I put it in park. I hit the starter and it turns over, just slower than normal....and seems a little out of balance.

What should I check first? Think I lost the cam gear off the front end? It acts like I don't have any fuel now. It won't even try to fire. Seems cam related.

Any advice before I spin my wheels on it?

If you lost the can gear I would imagine there would be a lot of valve contact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The last 4020 i looked at that was fubar'd ended up being the rivet that holds the oil pump pickup screen onto the tube broken and half now wedged inside the oil pump. Oil pump is cam driven. You can see the drive gears on the passenger side ofhe engine by removing a plate or something else (i forget now) but they will be chewed to heck.

Cam gear spun on cam. It got a new cam and gear, oil pump, pickup, Broken rocker shaft and injector tip. I dont recall any valves needing replaced, but would figure on that as well.

Oh God....I hope it don't turn into a full engine break down. I'm not savvy to all that jazz. I'm the king of bold on parts.....I ain't got time for internals. LOL

Mine spun a #4 rod bearing one day running up the road with the discbine attached... pretty much same scenario... Pull the oil filter out first, then pull the pan and look for where the heat is concentrated

Found a 4020 repair kit for ya!

international-1066-09.jpg

LOL actually liked our old 4020 besides the rock shaft leaking like crazy and the other small issues we had.

Sounds like its a bigger problem than you hoped though. :( 4020 are generally pretty reliable old tractors. Drain the oil and cut the filter open. Look for shiny scrap goodies.

Hydraulics still work? I've seen hydraulic pumps lock up and kill tractors. Hard to imagine losing a cam gear and there not be any premature signs of failure.

4020 injector oil pump drives from the rear of the cam , the drive gears tend to wear out and the oil pump and injector pump don't turn. there is a cover on the side of the injector pump with 2 flat head screws on it ( about 1/2 in. x 1 in.) . remove the cover . remember diesel fuel inside will spill out , you will be able to see if the pump rotates thru this small slot when the motor is turned , another thought broken crank. Dane

Thanks. I'm leaning toward the hyd pump since the steering wheel gave me a shake when it died. Just a hunch. I'll drag it up to the shop in a day or two after I get T-ball practice over with. I need to work on my batting.

Thanks. I'm leaning toward the hyd pump since the steering wheel gave me a shake when it died. Just a hunch. I'll drag it up to the shop in a day or two after I get T-ball practice over with. I need to work on my batting.

That's where I would start. Pumps are notorious for causing issues on those tractors. They either kill the engine or the engine keeps running and the splines are broken off the input shaft. And they are easy to rebuild and parts aren't horribly priced.

unbolt the coupler for the hydraulic pump and see if it will run. its an aluminum 2 piece clamp on the crankshaft pulley with 2 bolts through it.

sidenote our 4020 has 18,000 hours on the original motor and yes she is tired lol

Back