Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Competition and Performance
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Dodge Competition and Performance General Dodge Competition and Performance Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 11:44 PM   #1301
Bodacious

Name: Bodacious
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NakeDiesel View Post
While I'm thinking about it, any recommendations on an air filter? I keep sucking this big AFE one in....

Click the image to open in full size.
Is it plausible that I am looking at what caused your piston warmth????

Old 05-23-2017, 07:06 AM   #1302
NakeDiesel

Name: NakeDiesel
Title: Smoke'n in the Mud
Member`s Gallery
It probably played a part of the issue, but don't think it's fully to blame.

Thanks to my sponsors: CP-Carrillo, Air Dog, Muldoons Diesel Performance, Power Driven Diesel, Diesel Performance Converters

Old 05-23-2017, 01:32 PM   #1303
DieselWrencher

Name: DieselWrencher
Title: 6cyl Vette
Member`s Gallery
Your gardens and trees do look very nice. Those new PDD filters look very nice. I need to check their sizes to get rid of the afe ones I have on a few vehicles.
1972 K30 Longhorn P-Pumped 24v 47RH Compounds

Old 05-24-2017, 09:29 PM   #1304
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Well, haven't spent much time out in the shop since not much I can do at the moment, waiting on parts.

Rings should be in at Austins, waiting on him to get my pistons cut, shooting for them to be done friday night.

Turbo shipped out yesterday, so it will probably in sometime next week.

Ordered a filter from PDD yesterday and they were out of them, but after talking with Will, he is sending me the one he's been using on the Junker so I can make this race on the 3rd and will ship me a new one when they get in. Been really happy working with them and they have really helped me out.

Ordered a couple of things from stainless to weld up a flange to pipe for the compressor out and join it to the pipe going into the intercooler.

Bodacious is sending me flanges for a new part I'm adding to the truck and will post pics and info about it once I start mounting it on the truck.

Also ordered new 6" aluminum pipe and boots for the air filter from air flow systems.

Tonight, I planted 2 new pecan trees to replace 2 that died, one of the ones I replaced has some new growth at the base, so I planted both of those I pulled out into containers to see if they are going to try and come back, if they do, then I will replant them. Also planted 4 more blue berry bushes to replace some that didn't make it over the winter.

Then off to the shop where I mounted the 2 sensor nodes into the cab of the truck and got the pressure and temp sensors mounted into the transmission.

Need to weld bungs into the in and out pipes for the intercooler for temp on both sides and another pressure sensor on the out side of the intercooler. Also rolled up 10' of 1/4" copper tubing. Need to pick up a piece of pipe and some reducers and will make a soot trap out of it and some stainless steel wool to fill it up.

Thanks to my sponsors: CP-Carrillo, Air Dog, Muldoons Diesel Performance, Power Driven Diesel, Diesel Performance Converters

Old 06-01-2017, 07:35 AM   #1305
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Not any real updates on the truck. Still waiting on my pistons, supposed to finish up the last one last night so hopefully they are done. I have everything in except the air filter from Will and PDD, and my turbo. Turbo should be here today.

Haven't gotten to finish honing the cylinders, have 2 done but have been spending a ton of time at the hospital with my mom since last friday night. She thought she had pneumonia and ended up having congestive heart failure, had had a major heart attach and found dead areas in her heart. She's been in there since then, gone through the cath lab, mri's, cat scans, xrays, etc... she's having a pony motor installed for her heart today (balloon pump) and a doppler on her neck and then in the morning will be going in for triple bypass surgery.

Probably a good thing the race this weekend was cancelled, I wouldn't be ready for it.

Old 06-01-2017, 05:53 PM   #1306
DieselWrencher

Member`s Gallery
Sorry to hear about your mom! I hope everything goes as smoothly as it can for her, and may she have a speedy recovery!

Old 06-05-2017, 01:48 PM   #1307
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Thanks

Mom is doing good, recovery is taking a lot longer than thought though. She had a triple bypass friday, found a huge anurism (sp?) on the front of her heart to the rib cage about the size of a tennis ball, so they kept her sedated for 24 hours and ended up on the balloon pump 1 1/2 days and vent for 2 days till her systems started functioning good on their own. She's off both now and sitting up and eating food in ICU. Ended up working on their house Saturday and Sunday with spending the night at the hospital with Mom sat night, got 1 1/2 hours sleep once I got home. We were able to clean up quite a bit there, put new laminate flooring in the dining room and den, and then I tiled the bathroom floor and little hallway floor as well yesterday afternoon. Still have to grout it tomorrow sometime. Staying with her again tonight.

Pistons are supposed to be ready today and given to my FSIL to bring to the house after work along with the new turbo that was supposed to arrive there today. Soooo, hopefully tomorrow sometime I can start getting the engine back together.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:17 AM   #1308
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Picked up my pistons and turbo monday night. Slight issue on the turbo, it's a t6 housing instead of a t4 like was ordered.... So called stainless yesterday and have an adapter shipped as well as an exhaust outlet and clamp for T6 housing. Should be here Thursday.

Mom should be moving out of ICU today and seems to be doing great.

Spending the next 3 nights working on the truck trying to get it back together for the race on Saturday. Still don't have an air filter, don't know if the shipment was lost or what. Don't have a tracking number for it.

Any ideas what I can cobble together for some kind of filter till it gets here? Thinking about just putting a piece of screen material on the end of the pipe and clamping it on to filter out large pieces. Can't use my old filter as it wouldn't flow enough air for the s475, let alone this new s480.

Old 06-07-2017, 12:20 PM   #1309
jasonc

Name: jasonc
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Rig up a Y pipe and run two of your regular filters.

Old 06-07-2017, 12:48 PM   #1310
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
There isn't a whole lot of room in there to y off and add a 2nd air filter.

Old 06-07-2017, 02:04 PM   #1311
DieselWrencher

Member`s Gallery
Could you go to a junk yard and get an external filter assembly from an older semi or even a tractor for the time being? With as much mud/water/sludge you run in, I'd sure hate to run without a filter. Especially with a freshened up engine. (Like that matters) A shiny SS one from a Pete would be sweet but may not be cheap. Haha

Old 06-07-2017, 05:38 PM   #1312
Big Blue24

Name: Big Blue24
Member`s Gallery
We shipped a "temporary" 6" inlet 9" long performer filter today, it will arrive Friday via USPS. I just made a couple dyno pulls last night with the filter and it had no issues with my 89mm HT80 turbo compounded with a 364.5 SXE up to 4000 RPM. Hopefully the bigger filter you ordered will arrive soon from the filter manufacturing facility so we can get your permanent filter sent out.

Good luck at the races this weekend!
OEM 12v Block

Old 06-07-2017, 08:32 PM   #1313
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue24 View Post
We shipped a "temporary" 6" inlet 9" long performer filter today, it will arrive Friday via USPS. I just made a couple dyno pulls last night with the filter and it had no issues with my 89mm HT80 turbo compounded with a 364.5 SXE up to 4000 RPM. Hopefully the bigger filter you ordered will arrive soon from the filter manufacturing facility so we can get your permanent filter sent out.

Good luck at the races this weekend!
Will, you're the man. Just wanted to throw that out there. What insane customer service!

Old 06-07-2017, 10:55 PM   #1314
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Thanks Will, appreciate it.

Got to spend a little time out in the shop tonight after seeing my mom at the hospital and installing a new toilet at the parent's house. Still need to put door transitions in and 1/4 round around the walls to finish off the flooring, but I'm in no hurry to get that done.

Finished honing the cylinders, they aren't perfect by any means, but should work for a couple of runs till the new motor is ready. Also got the rods and pistons cleaned, and assembled and will get the rings filed down tomorrow so we can get them in the block and start getting it assembled.

Old 06-08-2017, 10:52 PM   #1315
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Rings filed, installed on pistons, pistons in block, girdle and pan on, adapter plate on, flexplate on and dropped into truck and trans bolted up.

Tomorrow is going to be a long day to get it done....

Old 06-08-2017, 11:45 PM   #1316
Bodacious

Name: Bodacious
Member`s Gallery
Let me know if you need a PDD filter Johnnie. I have one from one of their compound kits I will not be using if it is big enough.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:17 AM   #1317
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Well, didn't get the truck done to go racing saturday. Worked till after midnight friday on it and just still had too much to do to finish it, and after some of the issues we ran into, just said it wasn't meant to be.

First issue, broke a lip on a push rod baring the engine over. I know I checked them all before it was started baring over, but the 6 exhaust got out and broke the lip on it as someone was baring it over to set valves. Put a stock one in place temporarily till I can get another one.

Send issue, I ordered a t4 based s480, got a t6 in, so ordered an adapter with 2 day shipping since there wasn't enough time to get the t4 housing in time. Well, that threw it out to hit the shock tower. Pulled a shock off my 99 and put the fleece flat plate on that I'd planned on using but couldn't with the way the remote resivoir shocks came out of the shock body. Bolting the shock in, son broke one of the tower studs...

Managed to get the intercooling piping and sensor bungs welded into the intercooler to intake side. Still have to build the turbo to intercooler side, and install the bung for the thermo couple.

Going to move my timing to 25 degrees as well while I'm at it.

Also need to finish setting up the back pressure sensor and secure the tubing coil to the firewall.

Also need to program all the sensors into the config file and make sure they are recording.

Hoping to have it all done for the race this saturday.

Old 06-14-2017, 02:18 PM   #1318
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Got mom out of the hospital monday night and dad proceeded to fall that night and is now in the hospital. Spent Sunday night with mom at the hospital and last night with dad at the hospital....

I did manage to get the turbo to intercooler pipe made monday evening.

Have the following items to try and get done before Saturday:
Install the intercooler pipe
Hook up oil return for turbo
Wire up temp and pressure sensor after intercooler
Wire up temp sensor for incoming air
Wire up trans temp sensor
Build exhaust pipe to stack
Bolt front on the truck
Change timing to 25 degrees from 20 degrees
Build incoming air piping
Program sensors into logger config file.

Old 06-14-2017, 06:58 PM   #1319
DieselWrencher

Member`s Gallery
Man, sorry to hear about your Dad. When it rains it pours huh? My brother in law has been in the hospital for over a week with kidney failure and an intestinal tract infection/disease. Last Saturday night their house burnt down. They can't catch a break. Seems bad ju ju is all over lately.

Old 06-14-2017, 11:05 PM   #1320
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Nothing broken on Dad, but he either tore his glute or hamstring. Surgeon is reviewing his MRI and will get with Dr, but sounds like he is going to a rehab place to work back to walking. He's going to love that....

I'm up at the hospital staying with him tonight, but got to put some time in on the truck while I was watering the garden this evening before heading up here. Fixed the shock tower mount ring. Replaced the push rod and set the lash. Finished cutting out the firewall for the 6" pipe going into the cab for the filter.

Hoping someone else can stay with him tomorrow.

What's left:

Install gas pedal
Set timing to 25 degrees
Cut 6" pipe and drill hole for air temp sensor and attach it with epoxy
Make gasket for oil return for turbo
Attach oil return for turbo
Install turbo to intercooler pipe and hook up temp and pressure sensors to it
Wire up new sensors to the nodes
Attach front grill and hood
Build new exhaust stack
Add Water
Add Powersteering fluid
Start Truck
Install side engine covers
Install front fenders

Closed Thread