Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > Towing and Hauling
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Towing and Hauling Towing, hauling, hitches, and trailer discussion can be found here

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 03:20 PM   #21
97rada

Name: 97rada
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wideopen View Post
Just give me the Shell.....Problem solved.
know how I know your getting old?

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex...it takes a touch of genius- and alot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Old 02-27-2017, 03:24 PM   #22
wideopen

Name: wideopen
Title: Slum Lord
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97rada View Post
know how I know your getting old?
You seen my Birth Certificate?

Hellmann Performance ~ Keating Machine ~ Engineered Diesel ~ Mumau Diesel ~ GoGo Diesel ~ Hamilton Cams ~ Diesel Innovations ~ Grand Rock Exhaust ~ Smarty

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Molon labe
#FTCS

Old 02-27-2017, 08:24 PM   #23
GAmes

Name: GAmes
Title: Retired Apache pilot
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorendiesel5.9 View Post
If you're really worried about swaying put a weight dist hitch with an anti sway bar on.
Too funny. Ever heard of leverage? Those puny little gimmick "anti-sway" friction pads or cams or what ever couldn't control any trailer that weighs more than a thousand pounds.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:32 PM   #24
lorendiesel5.9

Name: lorendiesel5.9
Title: OG Hunnybadger
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAmes View Post
Too funny. Ever heard of leverage? Those puny little gimmick "anti-sway" friction pads or cams or what ever couldn't control any trailer that weighs more than a thousand pounds.
Son, I have spent my whole life towing trailers. How about you gimmick on out of here?

97 #12vqclbmafia slipping auto

00 Pete 378 12.7 Detroit 10spd

03 Pete 379 6NZ Caterpillar 18spd

Old 02-27-2017, 08:52 PM   #25
GAmes

Name: GAmes
Title: Retired Apache pilot
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorendiesel5.9 View Post
Son, I have spent my whole life towing trailers. How about you gimmick on out of here?
First, I'm not your son. If my dad had pulled trailers all his life he'd be smart enough to know that "sway control" is a myth perpetuated by hitch manufacturers to make more money. I have about a half million miles logged pulling pulling tag trailers with a pickup, and it took a lot less than my whole life. A simple weight distribution hitch is all that is needed for heavy tag trailers. If one sways it is either loaded incorrectly or has a mechanical fault. Neither will be cured by a gimmick hitch. L-E-V-E-R-A-G-E, get it?

Old 02-27-2017, 08:53 PM   #26
BigPapa

Name: BigPapa
Title: Truckless
Member`s Gallery
Mark, if you'll remember, Joe pulled Bandit hundreds of miles on a bumper pull behind that old red OBS F350 for years. Never had any real problems and you know how he drives......

2003 Avalanche Z71

Common sense is like deodorant. The people that need it most never use it.

Old 02-28-2017, 12:28 PM   #27
cquestad

Name: cquestad
Member`s Gallery
That premier is junk...look how small the tongue channels are!

TAG is great as long as it is loaded correctly. You really need extra deck space or custom axle placement to make it work with a non uniform load (IE heavy front end Dodge truck).

10-15% OF TOTAL LOAD should be your towing tongue weight. Have an engineering buddy run a static load distribution based on the truck location to see if it works.

I have 100k driving 90 plus with my race trailer (10k loaded)...never an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpadmax View Post
I'm pretty sure your awesomeness gets in the way of seeing anyone else's results.

Old 02-28-2017, 12:35 PM   #28
4x4dually

Name: 4x4dually
Title: Moderator
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wideopen View Post
Just give me the Shell.....Problem solved.
Send it to Phil. Tag trailers make my skin crawl.

Old 02-28-2017, 12:36 PM   #29
4x4dually

Member`s Gallery
BTW, if you can tell me axle placement from the ball for both trailer axles and both the truck on top axles, I can calculate your tongue weight for you. I made an excel spreadsheet for this years ago.

I made it for round bales but can be modified easy enough.

Click the image to open in full size.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (118.0 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by 4x4dually; 02-28-2017 at 12:38 PM.

Old 02-28-2017, 01:09 PM   #30
Bodacious

Name: Bodacious
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
...and to think all along you were just as dumb as me.

A tag or bumper pull trailer creates a bending moment around the rear axle. The force down behind the rear tires acts to create the moment and pull weight/mass from the front wheels (I.E. sled pulling) The purpose of the load leveling bars/stabilizer bars is to counteract this moment. Therefore, the more tongue weight/mass the stronger the moment.

A gooseneck trailer does none of the above. It simply creates a force down on between the front and rear axle.

Last edited by Bodacious; 02-28-2017 at 01:15 PM.

Old 02-28-2017, 02:27 PM   #31
cerickson

Name: cerickson
Title: fullpull108
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAmes View Post
First, I'm not your son. If my dad had pulled trailers all his life he'd be smart enough to know that "sway control" is a myth perpetuated by hitch manufacturers to make more money. I have about a half million miles logged pulling pulling tag trailers with a pickup, and it took a lot less than my whole life. A simple weight distribution hitch is all that is needed for heavy tag trailers. If one sways it is either loaded incorrectly or has a mechanical fault. Neither will be cured by a gimmick hitch. L-E-V-E-R-A-G-E, get it?

Gotta tell you I tow a 36' travel trailer. Traded a 33' for the 36'. All I used to use was a weight distribution hitch. When I left the dealer with the new 36' trailer, if I even thought about going over 60 mph the truck would start whipping. I now pull with a Reece dual cam sway control distribution hitch. It wiggles just a slight bit when the semis pass me going 75. So you saying sway control don't work maybe you should try something besides the flimsy friction style sway control.

Mine: 2008 Dodge 3500 megacab 4x4 drw 6 SPD stick. Anarchy EFI, Flo Pro egr delete, 5" straight pipe, Edge cts2

Wifes: 2006 Dodge 3500 megacab 4X4 drw goerend auto, 4 inch straight pipe, S&B cai, FASS 150 pump, EFI live by Anarchy

Old 02-28-2017, 02:30 PM   #32
4x4dually

Member`s Gallery
We bought a 34.5' travel trailer.....to save money on a fifth wheel....NEVER AGAIN.

F...TAG TRAILERS.

Distribution hitch with proper set-up or not...they still suck.

Old 02-28-2017, 02:39 PM   #33
lorendiesel5.9

Name: lorendiesel5.9
Title: OG Hunnybadger
Member`s Gallery
I spend less time figuring out where to plop 50k on my semi trailer than you guys do arguing over tag vs GN. FTR if you back on a tag and stop the front axle of the truck over top of the rear trailer axle your weight dist will be close to good.

97 #12vqclbmafia slipping auto

00 Pete 378 12.7 Detroit 10spd

03 Pete 379 6NZ Caterpillar 18spd

Last edited by lorendiesel5.9; 02-28-2017 at 02:42 PM.

Old 02-28-2017, 03:43 PM   #34
cerickson

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dually View Post
We bought a 34.5' travel trailer.....to save money on a fifth wheel....NEVER AGAIN.

F...TAG TRAILERS.

Distribution hitch with proper set-up or not...they still suck.

Jory what kind of problem are you having with the travel trailer? I know fifth wheels are better. I used to have a 33' 5er. Pulling our trailer with the wife's megacab dually it don't sway at all. When I pull it with my company truck (2010 Chevy 3500 non dually) that thing is all over with out sway control.

Mine: 2008 Dodge 3500 megacab 4x4 drw 6 SPD stick. Anarchy EFI, Flo Pro egr delete, 5" straight pipe, Edge cts2

Wifes: 2006 Dodge 3500 megacab 4X4 drw goerend auto, 4 inch straight pipe, S&B cai, FASS 150 pump, EFI live by Anarchy

Old 02-28-2017, 03:52 PM   #35
cerickson

Member`s Gallery

Old 02-28-2017, 04:38 PM   #36
Bodacious

Name: Bodacious
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
This is how we fixed the problem:

I can now haul two pieces of equipment at a time and never come close to doing a wheelie.

This is about as short as I could get it. Here in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains, things aren't always so easy and I can't drive truck worth a crap.

Last edited by Bodacious; 02-28-2017 at 04:40 PM.

Old 02-28-2017, 05:38 PM   #37
jasonc

Name: jasonc
Member`s Gallery
I had a gooseneck flatdeck with single tire axles I used to haul my race truck on and it pulled awesome. I use a tag trailer thats 6 lug axle now (10.5gvw) thats a hole lot lighter and pulls alot better because of that, just hauled a eclb 2nd Gen dually on it and pulled great. Dont get me wrong goosenecks are always going to pull better at weight but if that truck is the heaviest your going to tow do you want to pull all the extra weight. And keep your old man cap.

Old 02-28-2017, 06:33 PM   #38
Chris Tobin

Name: Chris Tobin
Member`s Gallery
Most of the desert race guys use bumper pull trailers and there has been a thread talking about the best with some great samples on Race-Dezert so here it is if it helps...

Best trailers for off-road vehicles | race-deZert

Freelance Editor and Photographer
Working with DIESEL WORLD, DIRT SPORTS, MUSCLE CAR POWER & STREET TRUCKS magazines
tobinemail@aol.com
I might be able to help get you in a mag.
Custom poster size photos available. PM or email for info.

Old 02-28-2017, 07:20 PM   #39
J-Pipes

Name: J-Pipes
Member`s Gallery
A bumper pull, deck over tilt would move the axels forward to lessen tongue weight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Old 03-01-2017, 10:21 AM   #40
cquestad

Name: cquestad
Member`s Gallery
Less tongue weight is not good. Get more truck! 10-15% for bumper pull...period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpadmax View Post
I'm pretty sure your awesomeness gets in the way of seeing anyone else's results.

Closed Thread