Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Articles
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Dodge Articles Write your own Dodge Articles

Closed Article

Article Tools
94-02 Sport Headlamp Conversion wiring. 94-02 Sport Headlamp Conversion wiring.
roachie
02-14-2009
Sice every time this is discussed the question of how to wire the dual bulbs arrises. This is how I done mine. You could just tap into the factory wires but, it dosent seem wise to subject the wires to twice the load they were ment for. This setup allows the inboard bulbs to function as normal. The outboard bulbs will only function on high and will come on with both fillments. I recomend buying the Sylvania Silver Star ULTRA. Those were the brightest halogen lamps I could find. Put those in all 4 holes and these will turn night into day. Literaly, its insane how bright they are on high.

**Disclaimer:
If your truck burns down as a result of doing what I show you. Too bad, you done it wrong. It not my fault you cant read a wiring diagram and jerry rigged it. It is not mine nore CompD's problem.**

Ok, here is what you need:
  1. Sport head lights (duh) with corner lights (they dont interchange)
  2. 12v relays x2
  3. 9007 bulb plug with pigtail x2
  4. 18 ga. wire aproximatly 3ft.
  5. 8 connectors to attach the wire to the relays
  6. eyelet style connectors x2
  7. solder butt connector x2
  8. connector to attach power wires to the battery or other source
  9. 9007 bulbs 2x
  10. 9005 bulbs 2x

All of thses thing can be purchased at your local parts store excluding the headlights.

Before procceding, I recomend using solder and heat shrink on all connections. Crimps will work but, it sucks when you lights quit at night and you have no tools.

Ok, now the vehicle specific part. My truck is an 01 the wires may be different than other years. If your truck is a 94-98 the headlamp hole in your fender will need to be enlaged to clear the new bulb.

Here is the wiring diagram:

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

wire color___________relay location_______________connects too

WHITE......................85..................... ..................O.E. Bulb plug

RED..........................86................... .....................Battery

RED..........................87................... .....................Battery

Black x2.....................87......................... ...............9007 Bulb connector

The single wire that runs from the center of the 9007 connector is the ground. Just find a good place and ground it. A sheet metal screw in the body will work fine.

The power wires that run to the battery can be a single wire that just splits when it reaches the relay. You can use you batteries or any other 12v source that is key hot and will carry the load.

You will need to splice in to the O.E. harness to wire in the relay. The way Dodge's wiring work is it trips a ground to turn on the lamps. lamps off and all the wires go hot. The wire you are splicing is the wire that grounds when the high beams are on. On my truck its red, check yours to be sure.

This is the wire.

I highly recomend using a crimp-solder-heatshrink connector on it.

The whole mess whoud look like this. when finished:

Just mount the relays and double check all your connections.

Now after these have tested and are working fine, proceed to burn your stock headlights.  
Article Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Featured Articles

Test Article

Test Article
diesel_importer on 08-12-2009, 03:39 PM
good write up. This is definately the most economical way. I bought a harness from some website(cant remember now) but it has 4 relays ( to take all load off the headlamp switch) and it allows both bulbs to be lit on low and high beam.
RamblinFever01 on 08-12-2009, 11:03 PM
I could be way off but I think what you bought is called a Brite Box that lets low and high beams and even fogs to be on all at once and if you buy that they recommend the HD wire kit that they also sell I got em at Genos Garage catalog good instruction and pictures listed above from our other member by the way
diesel_importer on 08-23-2009, 10:42 AM
No it wasn't the Brite Box. My low beams and high beams are still seperate. It was just a HD wiring kit to convert my truck to sport headlamps
dmaxexpress on 11-28-2009, 05:33 PM
whos orange truck is that. what rims n tires are on that. size? that truck is sick looking
Closed Article

Article Tools