Say bye bye to Cat in the Big Rigs

Snedge

Comp Diesel Sponsor
Well it's official.
Cat will no longer supply engines to the automotive (Highway truck) market after 2009. Had a meeting today with the Cummins big wigs to let us know. Cummins has wrapped up navistar ( International ) through 2013. Cummins will also become the standard engine for Paccar ( Pete & Kenworth).
So we're down to Detroit, Volvo, Cummins & Mack as far as Heavy Duty Automotive engine go.
I understand that International is going to have a caterpillar branded engine after 2009. Could this mean a yellow powerstroke in the future? This I do not know?

Well ain't that just great. 2009 Peterbilt 386 with a C15 Acert is sitting in the driveway. It's been in the shop 3 times for emissions related problems in less than 15K miles.

When it runs, IT RUNS!

Any word on what CAT will be doing with the engines already out there?
Chris

:rockwoot:They're going to melt them down and sell them to China.

Actually, I'm not sure. I would assume they are still obligated to service the existing equipment.

Yep,just got my letter yesterday from them saying that 2010 they will quit being they do not want to play the emission game any more.All our reman International parts come from Cat for last 6/7 months being they were not paying the royalties for the HUEI injectors that were copied from them sense the first Powerstroke.So for the millions they owed them they aquired Renewed International brand rebuilt parts.No telling on what is going to be in the 2010 trucks?

Wow isnt this funny... I remember reading an article in the Wall Street Journal not even 4 years ago, that Cummins was going to get out of the big rig truck market because they could not compete with Cat. Amazing. In the article it stated the massive losses Cummins was suffering in the rig engines market..... There were figures on how Cat had market share. etc etc... ...

I wonder if I can find that article in the archives....

Just downright comical how so much can change in 4 years in the type of market these yuppie bean counters have created for us all.... talk about short term strategy, and no clue for long term... hell, in our company right now, the upper management makes no bones about stating that anything after 1 year is considered Long term to them, and they will not consider anything past 3 years out....

as for a yellow engine in a pickup, you have to admit that would sell tons... GM would have struck gold had they gone with the Cat deal instead of Isuzu...

as for a yellow engine in a pickup, you have to admit that would sell tons... GM would have struck gold had they gone with the Cat deal instead of Isuzu...

Not if they used the POS 3126E's and C7's...now if they would use the smaller 6.6L Perkins built CR engine, that would probably be gold...a 5" stroke, 402CID engine would probably rival the Cummins;)

Heck, I'd buy one...I can get parts through AGCO, and already have all the service tools and computer:hehe:

Chris

they are gonna start building severe service vocational trucks though which I'm anxious to see. Maybe my next service truck will have a cat label on the hood! I heard it's gonna have an IH engine with CAT labeling on it for a powerplant.

yup, cummins is doing really strong in mid range, and heavy duty, have had very few small issues, we can make the power, and meet emmisions, although 2010 is going to be harder, we will introduce urea injection, and will have major improvements to the large 15 liter ISX engine, which will have common rail fuel injection. still waiting to see how that engine is going to be designed, especially with the DOHC setup. with Paccar going in the peterbilt, and kenworth mid range, that is a good market, and we have a very stong hold on the tranist indutry with alot of the new busses using the ISL, and ISM engines. Freightliner continues to offer the ISB, and ISC engines in thier trucks. overall i think cummins is doing very well, and will in the future from what i have been told.

wes

The 2010 ISX will be offered in 15 and 16 liter, one cool thing is that it wont require the use of Urea for NOX reduction. the midrange engine will require Urea, the ISX will only have one cam, it will look very similar to the exiting one. Freightliner will announce next week that they are not waiting for CAT to exit from the market and start using the Cummins in 2009.

the ISM will be not be used in the USA after 09, a new design ISX in 11.8 liter will be offered, totally new engine from Cummins.

The 2010 ISX will be offered in 15 and 16 liter, one cool thing is that it wont require the use of Urea for NOX reduction. the midrange engine will require Urea, the ISX will only have one cam, it will look very similar to the exiting one. Freightliner will announce next week that they are not waiting for CAT to exit from the market and start using the Cummins in 2009.

the ISM will be not be used in the USA after 09, a new design ISX in 11.8 liter will be offered, totally new engine from Cummins.

soo you saying that there is going to be 2 different isx engines?? how is that possible if they are different displacements? just curious, i know that the isx was going to be changed but where did you get that info on the ISM being gone in the USA, cause i work for cummins, and i dont even know about this new engine.... just wondering

wes

You will still be able to get a cat engine in your Rigs as long as you are willing to pay the 20,000 dollar tariff. Sorry to all who would love to see a yellow diesel under the hood of your pick up (factory) but from what i heard last time i went to IL for factory training was that TOYOTA sealed the deal and will be getting the kitty cat motors as an option in their full size line up

Toyota full size with a Cat?

That will stir things up a bit.

Remember, if it says CAT and his painted yellow, the rednecks will buy it just becasue it matches all those license plates they bought for the Fords.:hehe::hehe::hehe:

I always laugh at Cat plates on any of the 3 brands.

I also thought the Toyota/Cat thing was scrapped.

It was scrapped I talked to a Toyota Dealer at the Ohio Outdoor Expo a couple of weekends ago he said the Hino is on the way but thee will not be a Dually yet. Just going to go in the Half Tons the 8.0 inline now I wanna know who is going to start making perofrmance parts for those. Caus I like Toyotas good little Vehicles.

It was scrapped I talked to a Toyota Dealer at the Ohio Outdoor Expo a couple of weekends ago he said the Hino is on the way but thee will not be a Dually yet. Just going to go in the Half Tons the 8.0 inline now I wanna know who is going to start making perofrmance parts for those. Caus I like Toyotas good little Vehicles.

Toyota trucks look like ass, and not the good kind. The kind you'd find in one of Roskoes avatars kind.

Back