What will the stock allison transmission hold

BW Motosports

JUST SOME BROKE KID
Im planning on building up a duramax probly a lmm but im planning on running the ppe hot + 2 with a dpf selete and som other small toys and hopfully be making in the 500 - 550 hp mark the safe zone as some of you call it. So im wondering what i should do to the allison tranny. Thanks for the help.:st:

The transmission and converter are not going to be happy at that level of engine performance. Your going to need to upgrade both. Give us a call and we can help

310-669-8101

I personally have ran the transgo jr kit, it makes a world of difference,, but I dont think that it will make a allison live at 500+ hp. My tranny was complaining at 475. IMO you need to have some more serious work done for those HP levels

Trans Go Jr and a triple disk converter, get a good EFI live tune and you'll be good to go at 550

No chance , it takes better clutch's along with the pressure mods to hold 550 for any length of time , the Suncoast stage 3 is a good kit and would work great for that power level , that kit along with a few other simple mods can hold well over 600 hp , but anything above 600 it will shorten its life a fair bit its best to step up another level at that point.

Trans Go Jr and a triple disk converter, get a good EFI live tune and you'll be good to go at 550

It might have a short life if your easy on it at 450. If your going to pull the trans to put in a triple disk may as well go ahead and built the trans while your there.

With the transgo jr it will handle 450 no problem... past that though, borrowed time. I had one, and went through this so I can speak from experience

GMCLBZ had just a transgo JR and good EFI tunes and was only limped 1 time and he was everybit of 450 to the ground if not more, with plenty of boosted launches, and pulled the sled a few times.

No chance , it takes better clutch's along with the pressure mods to hold 550 for any length of time , the Suncoast stage 3 is a good kit and would work great for that power level , that kit along with a few other simple mods can hold well over 600 hp , but anything above 600 it will shorten its life a fair bit its best to step up another level at that point.

It's all in the tuning and how you drive it, there are several trucks out of the shop I work at putting 550 to the wheels with a trans go and a converter so I know it can be done. If you're gonna go out and just beat on in in every gear from stop light to stop light then yeah, you need a built tranny.

I don't see anyway a transgo jr. and a converter will hold 550 in 5th or 6th. That seems like a good way to get limp mode. Tuning won't make the clutches hold more than they are capable of. What's the point in having 550 if you have to baby it around anyway? Just my $.02

It's all in the tuning and how you drive it, there are several trucks out of the shop I work at putting 550 to the wheels with a trans go and a converter so I know it can be done. If you're gonna go out and just beat on in in every gear from stop light to stop light then yeah, you need a built tranny.
go do some WOT 4-5 shift couple times... tell me what happens
I don't see anyway a transgo jr. and a converter will hold 550 in 5th or 6th. That seems like a good way to get limp mode. Tuning won't make the clutches hold more than they are capable of. What's the point in having 550 if you have to baby it around anyway? Just my $.02

transgo JR is a band aid.. doesnt fix the C2 and C3 problems of bowing the clutches when aplied

SCIII whill hold everything a stock turbo damx can throw at on fuel only.
some have pushed them to 700rwhp for several years...
if you are plannign a bigger turbo anf more fuel... shell out the extrea 200-300 bucks for then SCIV and do the tranny once

well the truck will not be babied, im doing this work to turn it in to a ricer eater. it will not be beat on every day but from time to time i will be doing boosted lauches and full throttle runs. thank you all for your $.02 its a big help to us newer guys.im going to end up doing a sun coast stage V with billit input and output shafts with a 1900 rpm stall converter. :thankyou2: im gonna do the better built tranny now so later on if i decide i wanna try for 650 hp + im all set in the transmission.

Last edited:
well the truck will not be babied, im doing this work to turn it in to a ricer eater. it will not be beat on every day but from time to time i will be doing boosted lauches and full throttle runs. thank you all for your $.02 its a big help to us newer guys.im going to end up doing a sun coast stage V with billit input and output shafts with a 1900 rpm stall converter. :thankyou2: im gonna do the better built tranny now so later on if i decide i wanna try for 650 hp + im all set in the transmission.

Thats alot of coin to drop, props on going for the built tranny though, theres no doubt that a 6 speed can hold power with just a trans go and convertor, its just your on borrowed time, theres nothing wrong with getting a stage V from SC directly and getting billet shafts, but theres alot of big power guys out there that still have stock shafts. The only difference between the the V and IV are the little secret squirell mods, if theres a reputable builder near you, that knows the ins and outs can build a Allison just as good or better than SC, in the NE Big Dipper comes to mind, that would be another great route to take.

Thats alot of coin to drop, props on going for the built tranny though, theres no doubt that a 6 speed can hold power with just a trans go and convertor, its just your on borrowed time, theres nothing wrong with getting a stage V from SC directly and getting billet shafts, but theres alot of big power guys out there that still have stock shafts. The only difference between the the V and IV are the little secret squirell mods, if theres a reputable builder near you, that knows the ins and outs can build a Allison just as good or better than SC, in the NE Big Dipper comes to mind, that would be another great route to take.

billet shaft dont really common into play till ~800hp mark

by then you should at least a built short block.

if 600-700 is you engine will on borrowed time with its rods.

stock turbo lmm can get in low 12s ;) after that your going to need engine mods

go do some WOT 4-5 shift couple times... tell me what happens

I wasn't talking about a 5 speed, yeah do that in a 5 speed and you'll rule it, a 6 speed will do pretty dang good with just a trans go and a converter, will it last like a built one, no. But they will hold their own with just those two mods.

I wasn't talking about a 5 speed, yeah do that in a 5 speed and you'll rule it, a 6 speed will do pretty dang good with just a trans go and a converter, will it last like a built one, no. But they will hold their own with just those two mods.

the 6 speeds will do the same just not as soon as the 5 speed the modified ten c2 and c3 pistons in then 6 speeds.. its better then the 5 speed but nowhere near a SCIII or equivalant setup tranny

Very wise decision, I wouldnt recommend the output shaft unless you plan on doing a helluva alot of drag racing or building your bottom end. Your money would be better spent on a flexplate/deep pan/T-case brace :Cheer:

Back