Another Land Speed Racing Diesel Truck Build...

COMP461 - Thank you very much for weighing in on this thread! I've been away from this site too long, didn't see the updates.

If you are making 347 HP from under 2L, you will certainly have enough power to set a new record in G/DT. The guy who built my pump has made up to 280 HP with a 1.9L VW diesel (Mercedes inline pump, etc). I thought that was impressive, but 347 is phenomenal.

I have had a few conversations with team members who are the current G/DT recordholders. The current record was set with a 1.9L AAZ in a D50 pickup.

Are you at liberty to share any more info about your engine and/or truck? Sounds like you are going to bring a VERY serious effort to the salt. Hope to meet you there.

Steve.

COMP461 - Thank you very much for weighing in on this thread! I've been away from this site too long, didn't see the updates.

If you are making 347 HP from under 2L, you will certainly have enough power to set a new record in G/DT. The guy who built my pump has made up to 280 HP with a 1.9L VW diesel (Mercedes inline pump, etc). I thought that was impressive, but 347 is phenomenal.

I have had a few conversations with team members who are the current G/DT recordholders. The current record was set with a 1.9L AAZ in a D50 pickup.

Are you at liberty to share any more info about your engine and/or truck? Sounds like you are going to bring a VERY serious effort to the salt. Hope to meet you there.

Steve.

Billet Diamond pistons , Manley rods . ZZ custom Fab intake and Cylinder heads . I use a MTDI VE pump , and a Industrial Injection HY35 turbo with a HX 30 exhaust .
I have started on a Chevy 2.0 Cr diesel for the stream liner and a Chevy Cruze.
We went 132.44 and lost 400 rpm before the mile mark when a stock piston let go

I would stay away from compounds and go with a BW EFR turbo , and work on moving water in the cylinder head

Last edited:
Thanks. I'm still getting myself educated on a lot of this stuff. This site is an excellent wealth of knowledge. I have a lot of reading to do.

I "liked" your MaxSpoool Engineering Facebook page yesterday, and saw that Rick Yacoucci's Nebulous Theorem 'liner is pictured there. If you are putting a diesel in that 'liner, good things will follow. You guys have some very impressive projects going on.

As I thought about the power levels you have achieved, I wondered if you were doing something like running 2 cylinders of a 5.9L Cummins, or something similar. That's thinking outside the box for sure.

There seems to be a lot of interest in diesels within the USA, lately, which is great. I wasn't even aware that the Chevy Cruze diesel was available yet - that platform (small diesel engine, small car) should be the wave of the future.

Thanks again,

Steve.

I have already entertained daydreams of running in the G engine class, with an MTDI / 1.9L VW based combination. It seems like that's an excellent basis for building power in that class. I'm a newbie to the LSR scene, even though it's been a lifelong dream of mine to run at Bonneville.

The fact that you have been able to make so much power is groundbreaking. Your experience and expertise are obvious.

I feel like a kid in a candy store - hope you don't mind me asking a bunch of questions. Since you mentioned moving water through the cylinder head, do you have any specific recommendations that you might be able to provide? Are there gains to be had from porting the water jackets in the head, or does the increased flow come from somewhere else? I was planning to use a stock VW water pump on my 1.5L engine, but had considered running an electric water pump. I'd like to put my best foot forward on this project.

Steve.

Thanks. I'm still getting myself educated on a lot of this stuff. This site is an excellent wealth of knowledge. I have a lot of reading to do.

I "liked" your MaxSpoool Engineering Facebook page yesterday, and saw that Rick Yacoucci's Nebulous Theorem 'liner is pictured there. If you are putting a diesel in that 'liner, good things will follow. You guys have some very impressive projects going on.

As I thought about the power levels you have achieved, I wondered if you were doing something like running 2 cylinders of a 5.9L Cummins, or something similar. That's thinking outside the box for sure.

There seems to be a lot of interest in diesels within the USA, lately, which is great. I wasn't even aware that the Chevy Cruze diesel was available yet - that platform (small diesel engine, small car) should be the wave of the future.

Thanks again,

Steve.

If you need any help let me know the common way that the tipical TDI people try making power is not going to work in Land Speed racing.

Rick came to me to help with the diesel program. I am changing over from TDI to the Cruze 2.0 diesel . We are going to go after 1.5 liter with a destroked engine as well as 2.0. the 3.0 motor will me a half of a Dmax bolck done by CN blocks with the new Brodex head .
we are hopefully that we can run 350 + with the 3.0 diesel , this car is the best streamliner on the planet

here are a few pictures ,

552461_4949585227287_1327957068_n_zps355e353a.jpg

and this lets you know how slick this car is . that is the VW caddy that I am putting my motor in , we hope to rase the record from 129 to 180+

531699_10200591769426543_293574322_n_zpsc0aace9d.jpg

I certainly know of the Nebulous Theorem III streamliner, and Manghelli's WGB pickup has been the role model I'm hoping to follow in H/DT. You have teamed up with one of the very best LSR teams (arguably THE BEST) on the planet. That #2111 truck is an extremely well sorted out machine with a prolific track record, and the Nebulous Theorem is undeniably world-class as well. Compared to the existing 1.5L recordholding streamliner, the Nebulous Theorem is in a completely different league.

From my perspective, I think my best (only) shot at setting a record in H/DT is before you get around to putting the destroked diesel engine into the WGB #2111 pickup and running it as a 1.5L. I'm working towards getting out to the WOS meet in September. That will be my first trip to the salt.

Allow me to lay out my thoughts about how I'm building the 1.5L engine, and please don't hold back about correcting my thinking on this deal. I'm using a 1.6L Turbo block (hydraulic, and with the piston cooling squirters), with a stock 1.5L crank, OEM pistons and rods, ARP main, and head studs, along with ARP rod bolts. This is all pretty standard stuff, although it's not really common to put the 1.5 rotating assembly into a 1.6 TD block. I expect the bottom end to be solid.

I'm running a mildly ported AAZ (1.9L IDI) head with 7mm valve stems, Techtonics double valvesprings, Teflon coated lifters, and a custom cam by Performance Diesel Injection in Canada. With the AAZ head and the 1.5L bottom end, the static compression ratio will be in the range of 17.5:1. The head should flow much better than a stock 1.5 or 1.6L head, but not as well as a fully ported and worked-over 1.9L head.

The pump has been built by Dieselmeken AB in Sweden, and has been tested to 6,000 rpms (90cc's).

I will be running the GT2056 turbo, through an icewater-to-air intercooler and into a modified factory VW intake (the top cut off the stock intake, and a 2" aluminum tube welded on horizontally).

I'll also be running an oil cooler, trying to keep the oil temps and inlet charge temps down as much as possible.

At this point, my budget and time constraints are all pushing towards my current plan. I'm all ears when it comes to recommendations for improvements and/or to adjust my way of thinking.

As always, any advice is appreciated. I have a lot to learn, but I'm very excited to be "in the game" for World of Speed 2013.

Steve.

Airflow is everything in any performance engine , no matter the fuel. if the manifold is the one I am thinking of , it is not a bad. I had Greg at ZZ build me one as well as port the head. I would go with a BW EFR single turbo . turn the motor hard , and get away from torque. I would use a big water pump to move water around the exhaust port. I would also look at a dry sump, diesel motors make a lot of blow by and you need to address that.

this is a tale of two turbo's , the first is the biggest turbo you can put on a factory frame . and the next the Industrial Injection HY35 / HX30 hybrid

bigturbo2.jpg

431396_337410436295494_212116095491596_901808_1820268524_n_zpsee1e25e1.jpg

Let's see if I can figure out how to post some updated photos. For some reason, my photobucket links weren't being friendly.

Anyway, World of Speed is rapidly approaching. I will have the truck ready to run, but won't have much spare time between now and then...

null_zps1a10934c.jpg

null_zpsc123f6f0.jpg

null_zpsdc95fd4e.jpg

null_zpsd5c7f6ea.jpg

Bedbatteryandcooler_zps3bfb5426.jpg

batteryholddown_zpsf45b3389.jpg

disconnecthandle_zps53017aed.jpg

DSC_1779_zps17ecebd9.jpg

DSC_1766_zps5ec9a15a.jpg

Here's a quick video - I got the truck fired up for the first time yesterday...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLIB_fcg0Is"]1st drive return - YouTube[/ame]

Here's another short, low resolution video, showing that even the little guys can "Roll some coal"

This is 1.5 Liters of power, headed to Bonneville next weekend.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p8EYJ7BfH8"]Rollin Coal - YouTube[/ame]

I'll be headed to Bonneville next Thursday, should be on the salt late Friday, or first thing Saturday.

I've got a great crew of friends and family going along, brining several video and GoPro type cameras. I'll definitely be posting updates and videos.

Loring maine is in the next week or two... Might not be 3 miles, but 1.5 on pavement ought to produce similar results.

Current record in the class (1.5L Diesel Truck) is right at 106 mph through the mile. I'm shooting for 110.

Planning for 125hp, which is almost 3X the original power of a VW 1.5 diesel.

Sorry Steve, i have to share this here too.
167whp at 4600 rpm!!!!

i would say you surpassed every goal so far!

Here's a video link to one of the dyno pulls....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NYikOly9S0"]Dodge Rampage 1.5L Diesel on Ranken Tech Dyno - YouTube[/ame]

Back