2018 Desert Diesel Nationals

How did the pdd truck run?

This event was the very first passes with the fresh engine and trans setup. We are trying to be better prepared for UCC this year and possibly chase Super Street points in the NHRDA.

First pass a -12an fitting on the Waterman lift pump vibrated loose spraying fuel everywhere. Also had a turbo drain fitting come loose from the block and spray a little oil from escaping crank case pressure.

Second pass the RPM trigger on the controller for the shift noid acted up and short shifted the truck. It also had some violent torque steer at the hit.

Third pass, the tierod bent down several inches presumably at the hit and truck went violently toward the wall, popped the Hoosier Quicktime Pro tire off the passenger front bead and Todd narrowly missed the wall. The rim scratch path on the track came within inches of the wall.... great save!!!

We got some data, fixed a few gremlins, had great success with the transbrake setup on both trucks and it was a great test n tune.... for UCC!

Probably need to upgrade the tierod assembly, beadlocks or similar for the front tires, maybe a few other upgrades! What's neat is we were able to spool up fuel-only with the DPC slut converter despite the large GTX55 on the manifold fed by 2 more GTX55's. We decreased the engine displacement, cam size, and War Head flow a bit on the new engine setup, but still making excellent power!

PDD hot lapped that "junker" truck... pretty badass if you ask me... really wish I would have just ran sportsman but sitting at the starting line for Industrial's fastest pass was something..

This event was the very first passes with the fresh engine and trans setup. We are trying to be better prepared for UCC this year and possibly chase Super Street points in the NHRDA.

First pass a -12an fitting on the Waterman lift pump vibrated loose spraying fuel everywhere. Also had a turbo drain fitting come loose from the block and spray a little oil from escaping crank case pressure.

Second pass the RPM trigger on the controller for the shift noid acted up and short shifted the truck. It also had some violent torque steer at the hit.

Third pass, the tierod bent down several inches presumably at the hit and truck went violently toward the wall, popped the Hoosier Quicktime Pro tire off the passenger front bead and Todd narrowly missed the wall. The rim scratch path on the track came within inches of the wall.... great save!!!

We got some data, fixed a few gremlins, had great success with the transbrake setup on both trucks and it was a great test n tune.... for UCC!

Probably need to upgrade the tierod assembly, beadlocks or similar for the front tires, maybe a few other upgrades! What's neat is we were able to spool up fuel-only with the DPC slut converter despite the large GTX55 on the manifold fed by 2 more GTX55's. We decreased the engine displacement, cam size, and War Head flow a bit on the new engine setup, but still making excellent power!

Pictures of the setup? Sounds like enough air for stupid power

Pictures of the setup? Sounds like enough air for stupid power

It's essentially the same air setup we ran last year at UCC other than the manifold charger is now a GTX55 88mm vs GTX50 88mm. Same Bell coolers, Farrell Diesel 16mm pump, Hamilton Solid 6.7 Block, etc.

28827815_1197563137046171_3543667638763945878_o.jpg

28698749_1197538937048591_3167545308676827622_o.jpg

Last edited:
PDD hot lapped that "junker" truck... pretty badass if you ask me... really wish I would have just ran sportsman but sitting at the starting line for Industrial's fastest pass was something..

That Cummins powered Chevy from II sounds mean on the top end, it sounds like 6200 RPM or even a touch more!

The Junker was holding it's own doing the hot laps, if the driver would have done his part, might have won a couple of those classes. That HT80 over 364.5sxe combo seems to pull hard all the way through the traps despite T3 manifold, internal gated housing, and 12mm 215 injection pump setup. I had 8 launches on the transbrake between 10 and 22psi boost it seemed to handle the abuse just fine, but the rear suspension setup was returning poorer 60' times with the transbrake so we'll have to dial in the bar settings and maybe finally add some adjustable shocks to the truck.

It was fun to watch. I think you actually came up and talked to us while waiting in line for the gate to open. Regardless it was a solid weekend for racing minus all the delays. Hopefully you guys get the UCC truck dialed in. I'll hopefully be out in Indy to watch.

Were the nitro guys able to get down behind the radial ET classes?

The nitro guys took literally 20 minutes at the staging lanes PER CAR. That’s not including all the prep prior to the cars running. Real annoying, stopped watching and filming after realizing they were going to take an hour to run 4-5 cars.

They weren’t able to get down the track, most shutdown early 300-500ft, the rail did alright. Couple 300mph passes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I figured they might have issues on that surface....... 20 Minutes per car is stupid.

Event recap video from PDD about testing our UCC truck:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWTUQJQ7rKM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWTUQJQ7rKM[/ame]

Back