pulling a gooseneck with a 66mm

2wd_sled_puller

K&P Diesel House
i dont make it a habbit but everynow and then i do hook to a gooseneck and weight in around 20k give or take a little. My truck is a 5 speed it has 5x18 injectors in it now. Air dog and a dd clucth if u was to go with a 66 im no it will be smokey but will it heat up really bad

trucks a 97 12va

We have a 97 5 speed that had 5x18 dual feeds, 21* timing and a silver bullet 66. We towed **** all over with that thing. Unhook from the trailer and sled pull then hook back up to the trailer and go home if it didn't break. I hauled all sorts of crap like I motorhome back from ft Wayne IN, tractors, hay and my Pullin truck everywhere. With the 3.55 gears it would have trouble finding a sweet spot when hauling heavy and trying to pass or climb big long grades. We put 4.10 gears in and it made a world of diff on accelerating and egts. The downside was its unhooked performance became kinda lackluster. It didn't seem to pull as hard and just seemed overall slower. Plus when sled pulling now you had to run low 4th and with a 650hp street truck a 11.11 gear was a bit much. With 3.55 it would run easy 1200-1250 egt while cruising down the interstate. With the 4.10 it dropped to about 1050 egt

In summary, i wouldn't do it too much anymore. Crappy mileage, smoke and now that I look back, a freaking chore to drive. Lol but it can be done

I've got a 97 12 valve with a 68 on it. Like someone said above, 4th gear most of the time if you are below 75 mph. My truck has DDP4's (5x14 I think) it smokes like everything. It will haze pretty good even while cruising on flat ground with an empty 30ft. PJ trailer. So long as i keep the RPMs up and keep mine moving at a good speed it doesn't get terribly hot going up hills.

Back