Anyone use the new contained straps?

Brilliant. I like the ones that self rewind...but not for $40+ each. The manual winders I'm going to order are $23 plus about $5 each to ship. So $28 ain't bad and they are 30 ft instead of the normal 27 ft ones. Hauling round bales stacked two tall with 5' x 6' bales makes the 27 footers almost not reach. I think I'll order 6 and report back on them. :D

Personally can't stand wrachet straps and try to always spec the trailers with winches. Then your just putting straps on the winders.

I have never heard of them, but I don't think I will need any new straps for a while. One thing I do make sure to order is chain end straps instead of flat hook or the other options. Here are the one's I have, and I have never had an issue with them at all.

2" Chain Extension Ratchet Straps | 2" Chain Lead Tie Down Straps

50-CE-Yellow.jpg

I have some small ones that I use for wheelers and sleds. They are the auto retract. I can't really tell how these work, but when I haul bales I like to pull as much through as I can before I winch, and theres no way to do that with the ones that I have. This is the one I have.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/material-handling/dock-truck/cargo-load-binders/15-x-1-retractable-tie-down-strap?utm_source=google_pr&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Cargo-Load-Binders-google_pr&infoParam.campaignId=T9F&gclid=CKDi0brP8LgCFYxcMgodpzEAeg

I got 'em, but haven't got to try 'em yet. I hate the hook type. The chains are the best, but the most expensive. The flat hooks work the best on trailers with a rub-rail. After I get back from SDX I'll make a few trips to deliver the rest of this hay and try them out.

for my uses, I went overkill

I bought the kinedyne ones at my local truck shop, expensive as all hell, not self winding, but they hold even equipment down really well for short hauls.. no replacement for chains tho.. even though I have strapped down vehicles with them.. THEY ARE TOUGH...

I also have the goodyear ones from sams for lighter duty, and three similar to what 06Diesel has....

Jody, I have some smaller ones in my 12v similar to the ones that you want.. and they work ok... but it seems to me that if you do overload them they are likely to get stuck.. a band winder can easily be made from scrap metal and is a time saver... I got mine from the road to work.. found it on the floor and picked it up....

Last edited:
I like them. You'll pinch the holy crap our of a finger or two the first time you use them (at least I did) but I really like them. It took some figuring out but once I figured out how to unroll them easily and wind them up, it was great.

A must have for flatbeds. :D

Hey was just thinking of this. Do you have winter conditions there? I'm wondering if they
are more prone to freezing up. Tried to find some locally in the article here and buddy across the counter said it was an issue.

I suppose a guy could call them winter conditions. Maybe ill try out a pair of them and see how they do. Most of the time it's cold enough the snow doesn't really stick to anything.

If you bought the self-retracting ones, I could see where they could seize. The ones I got are cheaper and manual retractable. I think as with any strap, if you keep them out of the weather and lubed up with PB Blaster, they'll work great. After use, maybe blow the crap off them with air and shot a little junk on them. I used them for some hay but it was warm and dry.

When I take them out, I hook the end on the rub rail. Then walk backwards to unspool how much I need. Then I hook the ratchet end on the rail and throw the other end I had hooked there over the load. Do all the straps then walk back around and tighten them. Pretty easy...but there is a one day learning curve. When you rewind them, what I do is lock the handle all the way open (so it releases it) and use my hand to turn the split barrel straight. Then unlock and just spool them up with the handle. Granted the handle isn't the most bestest of designs....but it is still way faster than rolling the tails up by hand. I used to split the old straps and hang the ratchets separate from the coiled up straps. This is way faster.

I'm about due for straps as the ones on my trailer seem to sneak away, i'll see if the boss will go for those manual rollup straps.

At $26-$28 bucks each...they really aren't un-affordable. I have seen that the old style are feeling the pain since Northern Tool has them now for $12 each. LOL

Back