Pulling a 32' Enclosed Trailer '95 Dodge Ram 2500 RCLB 4x4 12v Cross Country!?

1slowhatch

I've got a '95 12v Ram 2500 4x4 RCLB 5 speed. I'm moving cross country and considering pulling a bumper pull 32' enclosed V nose trailer. Am I crazy? Will I have sway problems?

I've pulled a 22' enclosed loaded and it felt like it wasn't even there. I routinely pull a 18' open car trailer loaded with big trucks, suv's and cars.

The truck has a 3k gsk kit, 0 fuel plate, full gauges, 5x.014 injectors, 13" 350 hp clutch kit, 1 3/8 input shaft, 3.55 gears with 33" tires.

The trailer will have a 3200 lb car in it plus 1000-1500 lbs of household items, around 9000+ lbs total loaded. Will I have a hard time? Too much for a 3/4 reg cab long bed truck?

Just load it right and I wouldn't think anything of it.

I know the weight won't be a problem, more worried about wind related sway issues. I'm going from East TN to Northern NV.

Trailer has dual 7k 8 lug braking axles. What kind of mpg can I expect at 65 mph? The truck gets around 14 pulling a Jeep on an open 18' trailer in the hills at 75mph+.

I wouldn't worry about it. If it gets bad just stop and check a truck stop out for a while :hehe: with a car in the trailer you should be heavy enough.

With a good hitch system between truck and trailer I wouldn't worry. I pulled a 27ft from southern Ohio into Michigan and back. Had load stabilizers and sway bars. Little to no sway when empty but was perfect once I got some weight in it. I never would do it with just a drop hitch and chains.

With a good hitch system between truck and trailer I wouldn't worry. I pulled a 27ft from southern Ohio into Michigan and back. Had load stabilizers and sway bars. Little to no sway when empty but was perfect once I got some weight in it. I never would do it with just a drop hitch and chains.

Any recommendations for sway control (brand and type)?

Make sure you have addressed the 5th gear nut. Other than that I wouldn't be scared.

Last edited:
I know the weight won't be a problem, more worried about wind related sway issues. I'm going from East TN to Northern NV.

Trailer has dual 7k 8 lug braking axles. What kind of mpg can I expect at 65 mph? The truck gets around 14 pulling a Jeep on an open 18' trailer in the hills at 75mph+.

Stop being a puss!

Grandma and grandpa snow bird drive through here all the time with their 30' campers behind 1/2 tons and small SUV's headed back and forth to FL from Canada. You should be fine.

I pulled a 34' bumper pull camper on a 10,300 mile trip from TN to Alaska and back with a SRW 3500. I used a Blue Ox sway control hitch, and it came in handy coming across the open windy states. I never had a problem, even in an emergency maneuver to try to avoid a bear (I didn't...but that's another story).

Back