T3 vs. T4

Thinking about upgrading to a bigger charger but it has a T4 flange instead of a T3. Im running a T3 HTT manifold that is port matched to my head. Is it worth it to go ahead and buy a T4 manifold or will it be okay to just use an adapter plate? Does the T3 choke it down much more than the T4 would?

You'll gain .030" in height and about .510" in width. That means about 19.2462571% increase in cross-sectional area to flow exhaust through. However, it would be easier to just use an adapter and loose that tiny bit of efficiency.

T3flange.gif

T4flange.gif

joefarmer said:
You'll gain .030" in height and about .510" in width. That means about 19.2462571% increase in cross-sectional area to flow exhaust through. However, it would be easier to just use an adapter and loose that tiny bit of efficiency.

T3flange.gif

T4flange.gif

I calculate a 27% increase in cross sectional area if you are disregarding the center divider. Maybe I messed up equation I used is
D% = 100 (x2 - x1) / x1

Lets do my math here... Big foot manifold from ATS $550. Adpaptor from CDS $50. Thats a difference of $500 that could be spent elsewhere... I vote option 2. I run one and havent had a problem...

It is (T3) 4.6215 square inches compared to (T4) 5.9004 square inches.

To compare in a % it depends on which one you make = to 100%

4.6215 = 100% difference is 21.67%

5.9004 = 100% difference is 27.67%

Red Stroke said:
It is (T3) 4.6215 square inches compared to (T4) 5.9004 square inches.

To compare in a % it depends on which one you make = to 100%

4.6215 = 100% difference is 21.67%

5.9004 = 100% difference is 27.67%

Yes but it would be an increase or a decrease will define that. He is going from a t3 to t4 so that should indicated a 27% increase.

I've run similiar sized chargers with the only difference being T3 and T4 pedestals.

There is not alot to be gained. Money is better spent on other things.

However, if you want every last bit of power, and you are going to spin the engine fast, you will want T4 due to it's superior high RPM flow.

IMO.

joefarmer said:
I can't do math. :(

Good real-world experience feedback Mr. Pat!:rockwoot:

Me neither........I'm a Farmer/Jet Engine Mechanic, I would have to use a hammer and a crayon in that equation.

Jim

Jim Fulmer said:
Me neither........I'm a Farmer/Jet Engine Mechanic, I would have to use a hammer and a crayon in that equation.

Jim

Haha!

What would the spoolup differences be between the same two chargers but one has a .8 a/r T-3 housing and the other has a .8 a/r T-4 housing? I can't imagine it being too much, how much better would the T-4 flow on the upper RPM's?

Not trying to hijack but I feel that question could help contribute to the thread :st:

I believe Pat answered that by saying:

"I've run similiar sized chargers with the only difference being T3 and T4 pedestals.

There is not alot to be gained. Money is better spent on other things.

However, if you want every last bit of power, and you are going to spin the engine fast, you will want T4 due to it's superior high RPM flow.

IMO."

You guys have done very well in the diesel biz...only I never got anything written in crayon Doug. You must save those for the "special" projects:D

After running a T4 GT4088R, I think it did make a small difference in EGT's and spool...we might find out for sure if I can ever get the thing fixed and try it again with the stock manifold!

Chris

teddybear said:
Thinking about upgrading to a bigger charger but it has a T4 flange instead of a T3. Im running a T3 HTT manifold that is port matched to my head. Is it worth it to go ahead and buy a T4 manifold or will it be okay to just use an adapter plate? Does the T3 choke it down much more than the T4 would?

Is there a rule about adaptors at the pulls you're going to?

Back