hot street build

pipewella

I have a stock 2005 ram 2500 5.9 single cab lwb, stock other than a fass 165 and typical gages. Boost, EGT, Fuel PSI.
I would like to make the truck a fun street truck, its not a daily driver but a toy. Take it out on weekends. Will never haul anything with it. The truck has 250k miles, nothing really major wrong with it other than it needs the head gone through from leaky valve seals and trans cooler is leaking. I have about 30k I want to put in the truck. I will do all the wrenching myself. Ive spent the last two months assembling tools from engine stand, torque wrenches, trans jack, bore gages and micrometers. I will never take this truck to a track( I Think ). There are a few areas I'm very indecisive on at this point. One being the rods and the other being the cam. Is it worth the time and money to put a 188/220 in and run the risk of having clearance issues and needing to cut pistons or should I just leave it stock. Same with the rods, is it worth it to pull them and put in say some wagler street fighters or just stick with stock. I know the engine is a little broke in at this point and probable running a little looser than stock tolerances on things which is more ideal for high hp builds.
For the time i just plan to run a single 467.7 due to budget, but ultimately I'd like to have a 467/488 setup.
Would you take the time now to put new rods in along with the cam, or put that money into other areas of the build and do rods and cam when it comes time for compounds.

ultimate goal somewhere down the road is a 1k hp build
I dont want to roal coal
Just want a fun truck that stomp on some of the local cars time to time

mm3 not sure on who yet
467.7 Stainless Diesel
Hamilton 103# Valve Springs
Hamilton ED Pushrods
Arp 625's
Stainless Diesel 2nd gen manifold
exergy or ddp injectors and cp3 ( 150's with a 12mil single)
I was thinking about tackling the trans myself, but i think im just going to take it to firepunk and get a stage 2 or 3 48re
Mish intercooler and trans cooler ( would i also need an auxiliary
trans cooler?)
Billet Freeze plugs, probably the power driven diesel ones.
needs a new fuel rail with feed lines
needs new trans lines
new ac condenser

Anyway, with budget being the limiter here. Would just like to get some opinions on what route to take from the start to set things up for the future. I've emailed and asked a couple bigger named companies and honestly I feel like they just threw a list of parts down at random. Like you should run this big compound setup but don't do rods or studs.. :bang I feel like the best advice I've gotten from anyone has been trans builders I've spoken to.
Its my first diesel build, its a lot of money ( to me ) so I want to skin this cat right. I was going to start this project already but postponed it bc of being so unsure on what route to take. Anyway sorry for the long post, thanks for any advice.

semper,

First, welcome to CompD!

1000hp in a regular cab should get you in the mid 10's if my math is sound, that makes for one helluva fun street truck.
As for the build I'd do it right the first time. Stock rods will survive for a while with a big single but once you go compounds you're going to want billit rods with an upgraded engine girdle and all ARP fasteners.
I'm no expert mind you, just my own opinion.
When I had my engine gone through 7 years ago I had a 900ish HP goal using just a single charger with no spray. Billit rods weren't in my budget at the time so I went with peened 12v rods. I've put over 40k on that engine now with several dyno pulls and countless passes at the drag strip and it is still running hard.

Good luck! :Cheer:

Helluva first post, and kudos to the 'I don't want to roll coal', especially. Welcome to the forum, and I think you have a solid build sheet so far.

I did 909 hp on factory CR rods with spray a long time ago, and then went with shot peened cryo'd 12 valve rods when I did a rebuild, just a heads up.

I am in the same boat as you,

I just bought a 04.5 regular cab long box that I'm wanting to build. Want 1200 hp now and then do an engine build to 1500 hp later. My build list is going to be similar: MM3, gauges, ARP 625s, Flux diesel injectors, DDP 12mm cp3, fuel lab lift pump, single turbo, etc etc

I would go with a set of 100% over DDP injectors and a 12mm cp3 from them. If you want to save money, I would wait until there are sales, but those are usually in the fall around black Friday.

If you aren't following these guys, I would Horsetorques Diesel - YouTube

You can build an engine with wagler street fighter rods for a few hundred dollars more than 12v rods and they will hold 1500hp.

As someone who has done this very thing (although not with a "fun truck", mine is my daily) my first advice would be to talk to Craig at Hardway and tell him what you're looking to do...between he and Ryan, you'll get what you're looking for. I built the engine myself and did a lengthy post on it a few months ago.

I'm running ARP 2000 Main and Head Studs, Hamilton 178/208, springs, pushrods etc. I'm running S&S 10mm pump and 80% injectors...new oil pump, new oil cooler...I bought new rockers as well since some of mine had signs of galling....At Craig and Ryan's advice, I bit the bullet and put Wagler rods in it...a direct Ryan quote "Small turbos and a lot of fuel on stock rods tends to window blocks quickly"....but if you've got 30K to spend, I'd highly recommend Pusher's High Mount twin kit...I'm running a Tater-Built 62/65 under an S475 setup and frankly it's a bit ridiculous...lol! Going from a 46/71 single that didn't light until 1800 RPM's to instant spool really shocked me....I had to re-learn how to drive the truck. I spent around $18K for the build...I balance the Rods and Pistons myself as well as blueprinted the engine clearances.

I can't imagine running my max tune in it, and definitely not with the G56, but with the street tune, I'm smoke free, and it's' useless to stand on the truck in 2nd gear, or 3rd for that matter below 2000 RPM's....It will absolutely turn the 35 x 12.5 tires into instant smoke....and the truck weighs 8700lbs....I never knew a diesel engine could come on as fast and hard as this thing does....instant spool and tire smoke...it pegs the boost gauge at 60psi, so I don't actually know what it's boosting...yet...new, 100psi gauge is inbound. It will spin to 4500 RPM quickly if you're not paying attention....

I have an AFE bladerunner intake on it, but have been told by several people there's no need to upgrade intakes unless there is some fairly significant port work done to the head....700hp in a daily driver, 8700lb truck is fun!

Back