Complete engine/tranny swap

AKDieseL

I have a complete '99 that the engine has been removed and successfully swapped into an '00 (manufacture date 05/00), leaving me with the '00 engine and tranny in its bed.

Now I want to swap the complete power train from an '01 manual(maybe 01.5, has rear discs, limited slip rear end) into the '99 truck which had an auto in it, and vice versa. I plan on swapping engine, tranny, harnesses, pcms, dashes, steering columns, etc. So to clarify, I will have a '99 truck with '01?.5? Manual Power train and a '01 truck with a '00 auto power train.

My question is, since I'm swapping essentially everything, will I run into the same horror stories that I've been reading about on this forum? (Crank sensors, cams, timing covers, sensor voltages, etc.)

Just for clarity sake I do want both trucks fully operational. Just trying to manual to auto swap, and auto to manual swap these trucks.

Side question: now that I put this thought into writing, would a cab swap be easier or less headache free?

Sorry for the complex post. Thanks in advance.

it sounds like the cab swap would be easier...

the other option would have to be verified by you...build date dependent...does both motors have the same sensors ??? ( cam / crank), if not, it can be the more painful route.

the other option would have to be verified by you...build date dependent...does both motors have the same sensors ??? ( cam / crank), if not, it can be the more painful route.

So if all sensors are the same, power train swap would be easier? If not, cab swap is easier? Or I convince my dad to just drive the '99 after i drop the engine/tranny in.

Since I am using proper wiring harnesses for engine years, I shouldn't run into sensor or communication issues will I? Even tho I'm putting an 05/2000 engine in a '99 truck?

Thanks.

Cool. Thanks for the help. I'm not too excited about a cab swap, or a power train swap for that matter. Last winter I had to put a gasser cab on my dad's truck. Not looking forward to that escapade again.

Back