Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Sled Pulling
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Sled Pulling From Street to Pro-Mod, get your Sled Pulling fix here!

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 09:47 AM   #21
lawnboy01

Name: lawnboy01
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricStaab View Post
I know you don't have an issue with the heads, but being ok with rules that are not bennifiting you is not ok. Yes that is the 2017 as of March. I get that, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be discussing what can be done better. This isn't just about my company or any single person, it is about fair easy to understand impartial rules, and not pulling the rug out from under people. But working with them to improve. That is it.
I was pissed about the 158" wheelbase rule. Where was the outrage there?? I had a perfectly fine crewcab long bed truck that we just built. Guess what, if we wanted to run with Ohio State/PPL we had to "fix"it. Did we throw a temper tantrum about it? No, we contacted Mears and he sent me the 2016 rules before they were published. And we built a new truck. So this year I contacted Mears again in December and he sent me the 2017 rules before they were published. I thought I was doing a good deed by posting them but all I caught was a big pile of **** for doing so. I'll never do that again.

So you're saying everyone that's ok with the 158" rule are assholes for being ok with the 158 rule?

Last edited by lawnboy01; 03-16-2017 at 09:50 AM.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:56 AM   #22
EricStaab

Name: EricStaab
Title: Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
I get that. That should be curved as best as possible. There should be an agenda every year before the meetings, and really sent out to those involved. They also post changes to the rules early on the PPL web site. They actually did do that, and did not post the head changes, and wheel base. Why not right? It isn't a tantrum being thrown. It is serious questions being asked. And yes that is the rule. So that is fine, but it should be enforced fairly. That is also what we are saying. If a head is more than 1 piece, than it is illegal. And if that is a problem lets look at the rule, and available heads, and come up with a better rule.
Facebook: Nolimitmfg
Phone:715-384-4422

Old 03-16-2017, 10:02 AM   #23
EricStaab

Member`s Gallery
The 158" rule was being enforce fair across the board. Is the head rule going to be enforce across the board? How many multipiece Aluminum heads with ductile inserts are being used?

Old 03-16-2017, 10:16 AM   #24
lawnboy01

Name: lawnboy01
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
The 158" rule was being enforce fair across the board. Is the head rule going to be enforce across the board? How many multipiece Aluminum heads with ductile inserts are being used?
I can't answer that one. All I can say is at the state level, it was voted on that in 2017. For the 3.0 class,Ohio State would run PPL rules 100%.

Old 03-16-2017, 01:51 PM   #25
rawdog

Name: rawdog
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I know you don't have an issue with the heads, but being ok with rules that are not bennifiting you is not ok. ( Ones that cost you money to stay competiting.)
Yes that is the rule for 2017 as of March. I get that, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be discussing what can be done better. This isn't just about my company or any single person, it is about fair easy to understand impartial rules, and not pulling the rug out from under people. But working with them to improve. That is it.
They were deemed illegal because the big money sponsors don't sell them. Same with the bo aftermarket block. Big sponsor could not make what they wanted on selling it, so they got it tossed. It's how it rolls fellas. Deal with it or move on. Unfortunate for sure!!!

Old 03-16-2017, 05:58 PM   #26
Undrwr

Name: Undrwr
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
How many trucks does this effect ? Only these two

Old 03-16-2017, 06:13 PM   #27
EricStaab

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undrwr View Post
How many trucks does this effect ? Only these two
Quote:
Here are the facts:
Other heads that are 5-8 pieces are being used. (Wagler Aluminum Heads with steel or ductile iron inserts. And yes that is more than one.) They just eliminated those heads from competition.
That is a lot more than 2 trucks.

Old 03-17-2017, 07:14 PM   #28
jedeka

Name: jedeka
Member`s Gallery
I have no horse in this race, but face a similar situation of another organization wanting to run a box turbo from a certain supplier. What happened to the spirit of competition between manufacturers? As pullers, we are pushing stock parts way past their intended design. The technology and materials available today, were not available at the time these engines were designed. While cost prohibitive for OEM to use on the assembly lines, the new technology that is available today gives us the ability to make parts more reliable that ever before. The initial cost may be high, but any manufacturer worth their salt should understand the "no risk, no rewards" slogan. Produce a reliable part, the parts will sell themselves. If major rules are going to be changed, make them available in November/December, not in March, after everyone has their engine program in place for the season. I don't like it when a pulling association limits the rules to where it allows one manufacturer/supplier to provide a part, whether it is a set of heads or a turbo. Get as many manufacturers involved and get their input before you finalize and pass new rules. Find out what parts are working and what parts are failing. I know some rules may be passed because of sponsorship, but I think that is a conflict of interest. I just hope PPL and other organizations amend the rules to open up these rules before the season starts. As pullers, we have thousands of dollars invested in trucks in our hobby. The pullers and promoters need to work together so we can have fun and put on a good show with reliable parts. Most of us have jobs that require at least 40+ hours/week, which limits how much we can work on the trucks during the week. When repairs get too expensive, the trucks will sit and hurts the most important group that we rely on, which is the fans.

2005 3500 4x4 dually, auto, KORE leveling coils, 19.5 wheels, Smarty Jr

Old 03-17-2017, 08:51 PM   #29
jhumpe

Name: jhumpe
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedeka View Post
I have no horse in this race, but face a similar situation of another organization wanting to run a box turbo from a certain supplier. What happened to the spirit of competition between manufacturers? As pullers, we are pushing stock parts way past their intended design. The technology and materials available today, were not available at the time these engines were designed. While cost prohibitive for OEM to use on the assembly lines, the new technology that is available today gives us the ability to make parts more reliable that ever before. The initial cost may be high, but any manufacturer worth their salt should understand the "no risk, no rewards" slogan. Produce a reliable part, the parts will sell themselves. If major rules are going to be changed, make them available in November/December, not in March, after everyone has their engine program in place for the season. I don't like it when a pulling association limits the rules to where it allows one manufacturer/supplier to provide a part, whether it is a set of heads or a turbo. Get as many manufacturers involved and get their input before you finalize and pass new rules. Find out what parts are working and what parts are failing. I know some rules may be passed because of sponsorship, but I think that is a conflict of interest. I just hope PPL and other organizations amend the rules to open up these rules before the season starts. As pullers, we have thousands of dollars invested in trucks in our hobby. The pullers and promoters need to work together so we can have fun and put on a good show with reliable parts. Most of us have jobs that require at least 40+ hours/week, which limits how much we can work on the trucks during the week. When repairs get too expensive, the trucks will sit and hurts the most important group that we rely on, which is the fans.

Well said !!

Old 03-17-2017, 09:20 PM   #30
pick017

Name: pick017
Title: ohio sled puller
Member`s Gallery
Amen

Old 03-19-2017, 10:12 PM   #31
TCDiesel

Name: TCDiesel
Title: Home of the Gold Pumps
Member`s Gallery
On 3-14-2017 We drafted a formal letter on administrative review that relevant and admissible evidence and knowledge of facts were not disclosed. We await PPL response.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:46 AM   #32
jhumpe

Name: jhumpe
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCDiesel View Post
On 3-14-2017 We drafted a formal letter on administrative review that relevant and admissible evidence and knowledge of facts were not disclosed. We await PPL response.
Thanks for the update !!

Old 03-22-2017, 08:58 AM   #33
TCDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Update, the Letter was drafted on the platform of contingent liability, good will intent, as the rules state NOW it exposes the greater majority of pullers to actual loss, many of the Duramax heads produce for pulling are multi pieces, (inserts). It’s necessary that prospective balance be enforced.
The letter requires a timely response, all parties should be interested in resolving this matter Quickly.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:49 PM   #34
nwpadmax

Name: nwpadmax
Title: Turbo Geek
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WI Huck View Post
The Lucas Oil Pro Pulling League is supposed to be the national standard, which it is.
When it comes to rules, PPL is a pile of crap, not worthy of a "national standard" IMO. They could be considered as such for tractors maybe, but for diesel trucks....what a disaster.

They make politically influenced decisions, write verbiage a middle school student would laugh at, and change things behind closed doors with horrible or NO distribution. And they have ZERO internet presence.

It would be hard to imagine an organization being worse than PPL.

Old 03-23-2017, 06:46 AM   #35
TCDiesel

Member`s Gallery
There has been progress, This is not the official announcement, As it stands the head will NOT get you DQ form pulling at PPL sanction events, Placement and Prize money can be pursued , YOU CANNOT COMPETE FOR PPL POINT STANDINGS.

NTPA,BSTP THE HEAD IS ALLOWED, Waiting confirmation with other associations.

The Duramax crowd pulling against Cummins iron is a battle that will continue.

Power plant builders and Owners of Duramax pulling trucks need more options. When you tear down your Engine mid-season BC of failed heads is just NOT acceptable to Me, Than to wait weeks for replacement BC your choices are limited, Just FUBAR your season in many cases. It takes time just to dial in the weight distribution on the truck, Hitch direction, Clutch settings, Gear, etc WTH who wants to tear down your power and spends $1000s in repairs, on any device/component that should stay together until off season freshening, inspection.

PPL is considering changes in 2018, Progress is being made, Please keep supporting changes that benefit the league and pullers.

Last edited by TCDiesel; 03-23-2017 at 06:48 AM.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:17 AM   #36
takedown95

Name: takedown95
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
There has been progress, This is not the official announcement, As it stands the head will NOT get you DQ form pulling at PPL sanction events, Placement and Prize money can be pursued , YOU CANNOT COMPETE FOR PPL POINT STANDINGS.

NTPA,BSTP THE HEAD IS ALLOWED, Waiting confirmation with other associations.

The Duramax crowd pulling against Cummins iron is a battle that will continue.

Power plant builders and Owners of Duramax pulling trucks need more options. When you tear down your Engine mid-season BC of failed heads is just NOT acceptable to Me, Than to wait weeks for replacement BC your choices are limited, Just FUBAR your season in many cases. It takes time just to dial in the weight distribution on the truck, Hitch direction, Clutch settings, Gear, etc WTH who wants to tear down your power and spends $1000s in repairs, on any device/component that should stay together until off season freshening, inspection.

PPL is considering changes in 2018, Progress is being made, Please keep supporting changes that benefit the league and pullers.
Todd if you run a crappy engine platform don't be pissed when you have to fix it all the time. haha

Old 03-23-2017, 08:58 AM   #37
TCDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Have no problem with fixing, have problem with wasted time and Money. The other rule that applies is ,if your not breaking Stuff your NOT making power. "Who said that"
2018 is goona be a great year I hope, 2017 I ran out of Time and $$$$$$, Being deathly Ill for over 6 weeks in Dec, Jan, Feb was a set back I didn't plan for, that's not going to Happen in 2018. l have Power plants looking for Homes in 2017 .No takers so Far... Just Enough looking like 2018 and the No limit motor Maybe late 2017... Just the way it is.heeeheeee

Old 03-23-2017, 10:00 AM   #38
takedown95

Name: takedown95
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Have no problem with fixing, have problem with wasted time and Money. The other rule that applies is ,if your not breaking Stuff your NOT making power. "Who said that"
2018 is goona be a great year I hope, 2017 I ran out of Time and $$$$$$, Being deathly Ill for over 6 weeks in Dec, Jan, Feb was a set back I didn't plan for, that's not going to Happen in 2018. l have Power plants looking for Homes in 2017 .No takers so Far... Just Enough looking like 2018 and the No limit motor Maybe late 2017... Just the way it is.heeeheeee
Wish you the best of luck Todd. I'd love to see another truck out there.

Old 03-23-2017, 10:01 AM   #39
TCDiesel

Member`s Gallery
I'll take it, I need all the help I can get.

Old 03-23-2017, 10:17 AM   #40
AllIn2010

Name: AllIn2010
Title: Here to Stir the Pot
Member`s Gallery
Personally I've experienced both sides of the issues and I can say that whole heartedly going from a Duramax platform to now a Cummins Deckplate build. Everyone knows Duramax cylinder heads no matter who the manufacture is, are vulnerable to the conditions that high horsepower classes subject them to. From a reliability standpoint there is no harm/no foul to the cylinder head that Eric Stabb has built. Eventually meaningless rules will take committed pullers out of the class, then there will be less hooks due to low turnouts. Lets face it unless your a complete and utter moron there is one and only one contributing factor to how much horsepower any cylinder head can make if paired with the right short block, and that's the turbo in front of it. Each class has their own turbo rules so how about we let that be the determining factor. Like any major motor sport, if there's no reliability to how long or well a performance part can hold up, then there is a group of very dedicated like minded people who get together and figure out how to solve the issue. These guys have done just that with this 2 piece design. They've taken the right material and met every specification (limiting factor) that a stock cylinder head possesses. The only thing gained here is reliability. Its been mentioned before but this entire issue has been driven from a political issue behind multiple failed attempts to manufacture a long lasting performance cylinder head to service a Duramax Platform and now that someone has found a way to run all season competitively with a better product at a very reasonable price, it has pissed them off for spending money on their own product that's flaws are inevitable due to the material of which they are casted. Unless you have a problem with keeping competitors on the track and the sport of pulling in good graces with promoters, fans, and our own wallets then I suggest PPL to have a little more common sense. Battle of the Bluegrass would happily have you to the track for more numbers im sure. Just call the Vice President Kevin Fulks he will talk to you. Anyone who's reading, bring your gutted cabs, beds, and firewalls too cause that's all meaningless **** that they don't enforce starting 2017 for the Smooth Bore 3.0 class.

Closed Thread