Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > General Diesel Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Diesel Tech Farm equipment, Medium Duty, Big Rigs, and other General discussion can be found in here.

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 11:16 PM   #1
jimbo486

Name: jimbo486
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
UOA Results

Just got my results back from Blackstone Labs. Having a somewhat high mileage motor, my OCI's have been the ol' 3,000 miles/3 months, whichever comes first. Although, the most recent oil change was postponed quite a while. Before the recent oil change on the 9th of this month, I changed it back in February. According to my odometer, it only saw about 1,300 miles. Which could be a low estimate due to my speedometer not receiving a signal until about 25mph. It's probably a negligible difference though as I have driven at some slow speeds on the freeway quite a few times on my way to work. Probably not a low estimate by very much but I don't know for certain. Since buying the TDI, the truck has pretty well become a weekend warrior. I still drive it once or twice to work as well just to keep fluids running through it and the battery charged.

Anyhow, on to the results. According to Blackstone, my engine is in good shape. Wear metals seem to be at and on the right track to normal levels. However, they noted the high levels of silicon and sodium particles. I read recently on another discussion forum that sodium points to antifreeze. Is this correct? Silicon could be particles from the head gasket which I just replaced only 4 years ago. I've never had UOA run before, so could you guys shed some light on this and help me determine the results? I think my engine's paid its dues and is worthy enough for a rebuild. Especially if the silicon and sodium particles point to antifreeze and parts of the head gasket. Let me know if the picture is too small to read.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 11-20-2013, 11:59 PM   #2
Got Smoke?

Name: Got Smoke?
Member`s Gallery
Silicone could be from using an oiled air filter. I use Oil Analyzer's for my analysis. First sample on the new engine at 4,500 miles came back with a slight amount of fuel (too much idling on my part during winter) and silicate particles which they said my be air intake related. This is not the first case of "silicate levels" being notes with the use of oiled air filters that I'm aware of either. It's actually pretty common for people who preform regular oil samples using AFE/K&N etc filters. I had an AFE filter on mine and switched to a paper BHAF for the time being.

Sent from the command position of my dinosaur.

1997 2500 Jokerfab cyl head, PDR street cam, FDS benched pump, DFI 5x18's, HX35 63/67, FirePunk 47RE & anteater.

2003 Jetta TDI 5spd "DZL WGN" lot's of mods

Old 11-21-2013, 12:09 AM   #3
jimbo486

Member`s Gallery
No oiled filter here. Been using a Fleetguard paper filter ever since I've owned it. I think it had a K&N in it when I got it but those particles have long since been flushed out, I'm sure. As with everything on the internet, don't believe all you hear/read. I found this article which breaks down the specific metals being examined and what they generally indicate if found in the used oil. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/engine-oil-analysis/

Under silicone it describes:
"A very common contaminant most often found in a very abrasive solid form, which causes increased metal wear numbers (especially Iron) in oil samples. Its most common source is insufficient air filtration. However, in my oil analysis report it is actually harmless and due to leaching from a silicone sealant I used to seal a leaking valve cover gasket. Silicon concentrations in such cases as this will typically drop after each subsequent oil change."

Now, I have used RTV on the timing cover when installing a new crank seal. As well as a little bit on the seal of the billet tappet cover I installed. I was and am very conservative with it though. No RTV used in any other places that I can think of. I'm certain of that.

As for sodium:
"This is most commonly used as a corrosion inhibiter additive, and occasionally can indicate a coolant leak into the oil. Concentration levels vary greatly depending on oil brand."

I know this ONE sample after 400-500k miles doesn't quite reveal what exactly is going on but it's still a concern. I'll have to be patient and no so paranoid until I can send it another sample after the next change.

Last edited by jimbo486; 11-21-2013 at 12:14 AM.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:41 PM   #4
jimbo486

Member`s Gallery
I can see what appear to be tiny air bubbles in the coolant with the engine running...

Hunted and pecked from a Galaxy S4.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:18 PM   #5
biggy238

Name: biggy238
Member`s Gallery
Tiny bubbles are not a concern.
Cap the system with a hose exiting it, put the other end of the hose in a container of fluid (water) and operate the engine. If the system has enough force to continuously purge, you have an issue.

Note that as the cooling system expands it will purge. Bubbles after operating temp are the concern.

If you see two more samples with silicon I would suspect an intake tract issue. Trends point to engine problems, single occurrences tend to be errors in maintenance or sampling.

My opinion.

Reaper of Threads

05.5 Campanella White TDi Jetta 5spd 45.5MPG
-Little Sexy
'10 Silver F250 CCLB 4X4 6.4L cummins Swapped
Insta @trash.panda250

Old 11-26-2013, 12:29 AM   #6
jimbo486

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggy238 View Post
Tiny bubbles are not a concern.
Cap the system with a hose exiting it, put the other end of the hose in a container of fluid (water) and operate the engine. If the system has enough force to continuously purge, you have an issue.

Note that as the cooling system expands it will purge. Bubbles after operating temp are the concern.

If you see two more samples with silicon I would suspect an intake tract issue. Trends point to engine problems, single occurrences tend to be errors in maintenance or sampling.

My opinion.

Reaper of Threads
Thanks. As I said, I'm trying to dismiss the results being that it's the first ever analysis from this engine's oil. I plan to send another sample after the next oil change and see what the numbers do then.

As for the bubbles/purging, it did slip my mind that there could be small traces of air in the system that needs to be burped.

Once up to operating temp., could I simply watch for bubbles or excess purging in the overflow/expansion reservoir?

One other thing I noticed is the coolant level in the radiator was lower than the last time I checked which was a while ago now. It was at the bottom of the neck at the cap then and this morning was just below the first row of tubes. Could just be a fluke thing.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:53 PM   #7
jimbo486

Member`s Gallery
Quick resurrection. I was just browsing through all the pictures I took from when I replaced the head gasket about 4 years ago and came across these. I didn't think much of it then but, why is it that the walls on cylinders 1 and 2 remained "wet" in the middle even though this was days after the coolant had been drained? The markings on the oil cooler are in the same position. Could this in fact be a leaking oil cooler and the reason why sodium (antifreeze/coolant) levels are so high in the oil analysis? Although, wouldn't I also see oil in the coolant to some degree? It looked pretty clean to me when I checked after getting results back. I had planned to pressure test the oil cooler first to determine it's condition anyhow before tearing the head off again.

Last edited by jimbo486; 12-05-2013 at 09:02 PM.

Closed Thread