HO 6.7 Powerstroke 500-HP 1200-FTLB

Powerstroke Cowboy

Boost is energy held back
Fords playing rams game with a new "HO" 6.7.

They say 500hp@2800 and 1200ftlbs@1800.

They are saying they added a water cooled turbo, new
cast exhaust manifolds and changed pcm tunning to get there.

Hp and torque is nice. Where is it going to end? I wish the big three would focus more on longevity and efficiency.

The new engine combined with the F450 is rated for 40,000 pounds. Crazy.

I get you, in one way those advertised numbers don't excite me. Give me 375-400hp with no torque management is more intriguing to me.

Thought the same though, one does 400, next one 420, then one does 475, and now 500, do we have some one with 550. Kind of like an auction :hehe:

Curious how they do actually working up a grade with that power. Must be a super efficient cooling system or ecm is detuning. Don’t most big rigs have 400-500hp?

I get you, in one way those advertised numbers don't excite me. Give me 375-400hp with no torque management is more intriguing to me.

Thought the same though, one does 400, next one 420, then one does 475, and now 500, do we have some one with 550. Kind of like an auction :hehe:

I hear you. Limiting torque in the lower gears can is annoying. On the other hand I know why they do it. After all pickups do not have the drive train of a semi.

Yea where's it going to end?? Warranty work needs to be took into account as well.

Curious how they do actually working up a grade with that power. Must be a super efficient cooling system or ecm is detuning. Don’t most big rigs have 400-500hp?

That would be interesting to see as well. I am sure it's a combo of both things you mention. They have good cooling, plus the more efficient the engine is, the less heat it makes. ECM defining is They for when it can't do it under safe parameter.

Turbos have always been water cooled and manifolds have always been cast.

Water cooled turbos have been around for a long time and are not a new concept. But the use of them on a diesel pickup in OEM form is. Not sure how much they gain by it though. Maybe just longer turbo life?

Yea, cast manifolds have been around forever in the diesel world. They just stated they changed the manifold design for then HO model. One place claims cast stainless, another claims aluminum.

I can see a water cooled turbo being more efficient but I don’t buy into them being more durable. Ball bearing I’m guessing. Journal bearing holsets and such out there with half a million miles on them. 350k of absolute abuse on my hx35. I’ve destroyed every garret ball bearing I’ve owned. Not in a diesel app but journal bearing Precisions eliminated that prob.

I’m not ever going to be in a brand new truck so I’m just talking smack ha. Just curiosity and impressed with the numbers they put up nowadays.

Wonder what they will put down with a good tune and no emissions junk. If that’s even possible.

They have always been water cooled, almost every VGT is. I’ve had three 6.7 fords and all were 600hp+ and zero issues from any of them. The first one developed a coolant leak from the turbo but was fixed under warranty with $8 in parts. 500 isn’t a huge jump, the stock 2022 is 475hp and you can add 25hp by accident with tuning.

Still has a CP4 though. Wonder if they addressed the other laundry list of issues that engine has. When they run, they are nice though. Just seem like a cheaply built throw away engine.

They have always been water cooled, almost every VGT is. I’ve had three 6.7 fords and all were 600hp+ and zero issues from any of them. The first one developed a coolant leak from the turbo but was fixed under warranty with $8 in parts. 500 isn’t a huge jump, the stock 2022 is 475hp and you can add 25hp by accident with tuning.

Well, I was mistaken then. The 6.0and 6.4 turbos are not. I thigh the same of the 6.7, but I was wrong!

I do not own a 6.7. But there are three in the family. The one is a little 300k now. Same engine and tranny. Still runs and shifts good.

Still has a CP4 though. Wonder if they addressed the other laundry list of issues that engine has. When they run, they are nice though. Just seem like a cheaply built throw away engine.

Not from our experience. I have seen the cp4 go out though. It's not any fun or cheap.

They are for sure one of the nicest running diesels I have been around. Quite and smooth. Excellent cold starters as well.

But, as with all engines. There will be problems.

Care to expound?

Friend is manager at Ford dealer and I’ve never heard of any major common issue with them. It is amazing to stop in and see the number of trucks torn down because people put something other than diesel in the tank. Like at least once a month someone puts gas in one.

But another friend runs a shop and it almost exclusively Duramax repair and the CP4 thing is blown way out of proportion. And for some reason the Chevy one fails at a higher rate than the others so not sure if the fuel supply is the issue or what. However it’s not that common, do they fail? Yes, but it’s a very high probability that you won’t ever have an issue. Brother in law had his fail on a 2015 Dmax but it was over 500k miles and it wasn’t a big deal because the injectors needed replaced anyway.

Friend is manager at Ford dealer and I’ve never heard of any major common issue with them. It is amazing to stop in and see the number of trucks torn down because people put something other than diesel in the tank. Like at least once a month someone puts gas in one.

But another friend runs a shop and it almost exclusively Duramax repair and the CP4 thing is blown way out of proportion. And for some reason the Chevy one fails at a higher rate than the others so not sure if the fuel supply is the issue or what. However it’s not that common, do they fail? Yes, but it’s a very high probability that you won’t ever have an issue. Brother in law had his fail on a 2015 Dmax but it was over 500k miles and it wasn’t a big deal because the injectors needed replaced anyway.

I'm well aware of the fact cp4's can potentially fail. I'm mostly curious to hear the other items on Tobin's "laundry list."

Care to expound?

Injector hold down bolt failures
Rocker arm failures
Vacuum pump leaking oil
Upper oil pan leaking
CP4 failure
Early VGT failures
Horrible exhaust brakes
Terrible fuel filter designs
Rear oil seal leak

I had a 2020, and it was a beast. They are very capable powertrains when running right. I don't think there is a huge failure rate in them, just not as stout as a Cummins. Seems like they are more of a cheap throw away design that doesn't last as long.

Half of me wants to get a new HO Powerstroke when they are out.

Last edited:
Rocker arm failures
Vacuum pump leaking oil
Upper oil pan leaking
CP4 failure
Early VGT failures
Horrible exhaust brakes
Rear oil seal leak

I had a 2020, and it was a beast. They are very capable powertrains when running right. I don't think there is a huge failure rate in them, just not as stout as a Cummins. Seems like they are more of a cheap throw away design that doesn't last as long.

Not sure “stout as a Cummins” is a term I would use.
5dc25dcd9bad9cf9ce73aae08853fec8.jpg

They should either stop building shit or use something other than plastic for the valve covers because they won’t handle cylinder pressure a cracked piston. Lmao

Rocker arm failures
Vacuum pump leaking oil
Upper oil pan leaking
CP4 failure
Early VGT failures
Horrible exhaust brakes
Rear oil seal leak

Disclaimer : I have had a few cummins as well as a couple six sevens.

My last 6.7 PS was the first one I had experienced any oil leak on out of a total of four. It had 189,000 miles. The CCV appeared to be original, and it also didn't have the greatest service history.

I am genuinely curious to know how many upper oil pan/rear seal leaks can be directly related back to the CCV not being serviced, or is there another underlying cause?

The '12-19 trucks used an RTV gasket on the upper oil pan, but in '20 they went back to the o-ring design similar to the 2011. Maybe this will prove to be superior?

A lot of the other issues you mentioned (possibly rocker arms aside) have been taken care of with redesigns/updates.

Servicing the Ford fuel filter is a heck of a lot easier then getting to the oil filter change on the '13+ Cummins trucks.

Gotta remember Cummins has been on the market for 22 years more then the Scorpion. I'd say the 6.7 PS has stacked up to be a pretty good competitor, but with that said it seems all the Big 3 have their own issues.

Back