Purple People Eater Sh*t itself today

Cruise control at 60 for about 2 hours, and then it felt like I blew both front tires at the same time. At the same time I saw something fly out from under the hood and hit the car next to me. Pull over, truck is still shaking, so I kill it.

a196d89b90a7e9accd55db3def84fd37.jpg

897ab47473bf7ad26a8ff46864eba53f.jpg

cbb09ad56b1e6ee2ad383dd1d69cd19a.jpg

So plans now are to go back to basics. Stock cam, same valvesprings/locks/retainers, stock pushrods if these ones are shot, same pump and injectors after seth checks them out. i will be keeping twins and secondary water cooler, but dropping the intermediate water cooler, and dropping from a 78 back to a 67mm as I originally planned. She's gonna be an awesome tow rig and sunday driver, and leave it at that.

So, anyone have a t6 67mm and want to trade up for a 78/92/1.10? After I get it checked out of course.

Last edited:
I guess you found the ticking noise... dang
dude, thats no fun at all....

Funny thing, the noise had gone away for a bit LOL. I figured it was the exhaust leak I was fixing bit by bit.

Do you need a block or anything? I have a stock shortblock I could bring down thru Missouri with me today.

I have no way to meet you lol. Thanks though.

Have the cam and injection pump been wanting to be closer friends?

Yeah they have actually, I kept telling them they were too young, they'll understand when they're older. I guess they showed me. Sucks because you can't just discipline them anymore, and stuff like timeouts and taking their video games just doesn't work.

Sorry to hear this man.

That sucks man, sorry to hear/see this happen to you.

Really I can't say it's not expected. This block had a really really good run. The last 80,000 miles were hard miles, except the last 3000. All over 600hp, and all of that used weekly having fun. I'm sure adding a 2nd charger didn't prolong anything.

That's sucks!! Bet a tappet broke.

I'll bet a few of them are broke now! LOL We were talking about that last night though. Thinking a cam lobe wore or a valve bent slightly and then just snapped, maybe creating unequal pressure on one or more lobes, and it just gave out. i was just making stuff up trying to figure it out, but those seemed like the best possibilities. I'll get pictures of everything as it comes apart though. I really want to narrow it down.

I have a gt4202 I would trade you for that 78

text me when you wake up! you know I'm garrett stupid.

If you had texted me when it happened I would have brought a trailer and drug your broke stuff home. ;) I saw your facebook post too late.

I don't have any parts to help you out but you are always welcome to the shop and tools.

Dang it, man. Sorry for your loss.

I'm just saying she was old, wore out, rode hard, etc.... Bound to blow out a hip eventually, but now she can get those new titanium hips she's always wanted!

If you had texted me when it happened I would have brought a trailer and drug your broke stuff home. ;) I saw your facebook post too late.

I don't have any parts to help you out but you are always welcome to the shop and tools.

It's ok. It worked out good the way it happened. It's on my trailer in my driveway now. Joe has a block if I'm not able to get one from brian today. Which means Mr. Mumau will be getting an order from me.

Back