160 or 180 bottom end?

K204DR

I'm the Driver
Going to be putting a different motor in my truck soon I hope, I'm running a built and maxed 215 pump, and I'm curious if there's any advantage to running the 180/215 bottom end, vs the 160? I know the pistons are slightly different, just wondering how that equates to power?
I've got well over 400K on my current 160 bottom end, and I'm wanting to put a hx35/ht3b in for towing, and need to freshen up stuff when I take it apart. Thanks

If it just for towing And don’t want to change anything you won’t see any difference . In the couple hundred 12v builds I done changing pistons and cam seems to be the best towing mods if you wanted to buy parts ..

I use first gen with 155 degree pistons when towing with mild power single turbo , performance or towing compounds I use marine/aftercooler 16.5 compression pistons. Match it with a 155 5x.012 injectors

Last edited:
I have the 1st gen pistons, don't thing I'd want marines in the daily but most I've read about where 15 compression or less

Eep Marine cam , If price is your main selling point it’s not terrible , insitalled one for a customer and surprised how cool the egt was . I would not use one in a 24v, the lobes are narrow and won’t like The added spring pressure .

What about for the 95’ in my signature?

Sorry op not trying to totally hijack

Last edited:
Back