Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Entrance Gate- Welcome to Competition Diesel > Introductions.
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Introductions. Take a moment to Introduce yourself here. Tell us about yourself and your rig!

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2020, 01:38 PM   #1
USMCShooter

Name: USMCShooter
Title: BrokeandSmiling
Member`s Gallery
Been watching and learning...here goes...

Hi all,

I posted a lengthy intro and when I hit submit, it said I didn't log in...so this one will be a lot shorter

I retired from the Marine Corps 6 years ago after over 30 years active. I live outside Pensacola, FL. I'm on my 3rd Cummins, a '99 bought new from Military Overseas sales in '99....it stayed stock. An '01 Sport that I bought in '07 and I put 4 inch exhaust, cold air intake, 100hp sticks and a Super B on it with a Juice box, and rebuilt the trans.

I traded it and some cash in 2013 to one of my Marines that needed to get out from under an '05 Big Horn, HO. He and his wife had thrown a bunch of parts at it:

Super B Special
BIGger Injectors
BD Intercooler
BD 2 piece manifold
AFE Bladerunner intake
Airdog 150
Southbend Dual disk
Bag of parts CP3
Smarty Jr set on kill
5 inch stacks
Competition Engineering ladder bars

The truck now has 220K on it....I've changed the clutch once, and had Smarty UDC tuning and had to add a Snow Meth Injection to tow my 40 foot 5'er.

I loaned it to a buddy to pull a 15K trailer with and told him to watch the EGT's...he got in some low hills and since "it had been awhile since he'd driven a clutch"....I suspect he clutched under boost or short shifted....he broke rings and spun bearings on #5 and #6....logged a 1685 on the Edge insight...

I'm rebuilding...I've got parts on hand and others coming...thankfully Hardway Performance is 40 miles away!

Stock standard/.010 crank
Wagler Rods
Mahle .020 Pistons and rings
Hamilton 178 Cam, springs, lifters, pushrods
Oil cooler and pump
Mahle gasket kit
ARP Main and 2000 head studs
Fleece 10mm Stroker
S&S 80% injectors
Fluidampr

The Super B special has some play, so I'm going to rebuild. But, it's too big to twin with an S475. I want a dependable truck, that I never have to look at EGT's again, better mileage, and fun to drive....I'm looking for a stock HE351CW now to rebuild for an add-a turbo with the 475 and I'm going to have Ryan from Hardway tune it.

Thanks for reading and I'm open for suggestions!

Semper Fi

Jamie

Old 08-10-2020, 01:57 PM   #2
WUnderwood

Name: WUnderwood
Title: CompD Minion
Member`s Gallery
First and foremost, thank you for your decades of service to this country.

On to the truck, what are your HP goals? Are you going to be towing with the new setup?

Click the image to open in full size.

RIP BFD99, jponder, and Forrest Nearing

Old 08-10-2020, 05:03 PM   #3
Highwayman

Name: Highwayman
Title: bored.
Member`s Gallery
super b is 63mm, right? I wouldn't necessarily say that's too big to play with a 75, but i'd rather have a 60 for towing (have a good shop rebuild and swap compressor side). With a gate, that should handle a good bit, too. on a work/play truck anyways.

also, have you seen cartoons where someone rolls a snowball down a hill?
You're either going to be at the top or bottom of the hill.
Just be prepared to side step at the right time

'Rah
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfreak24 View Post
Lolzzzzzz fakin haters

Old 08-12-2020, 02:44 PM   #4
USMCShooter

Name: USMCShooter
Title: BrokeandSmiling
Member`s Gallery
WUnderwood-thank you...Hardway asked me the same question...lol! I guess it's' common for guys to strive for a HP rating. For me the bottom line is that I don't ever want to see the inside of this engine again. The guys at Hardway asked me the same thing..when we started talking parts and build, with what I wanted, they were talking 750...so that was the original goal...then I reconsidered...I've got a G56, with a South Bend dual disk rated at 1400lb ft....with 750hp, I'm looking at 1500-1600lb ft which won't work as I'll be breaking things...one of the Hardway guys is a friend of a friend and made the statement I was building a 1000hp engine...I corrected and said I'm building a 1000hp capable engine...but it wouldn't ever see that...Hardway was talking compounding my 64mm Super B special with an S475 for 750hp....after a discussion, I've decided I'm going with a pusher set up with the S475 over a stocker for around 650-ish HP...I want it dependable, that I can hook anything to and tow it over a mountain...and potentially surprise the hell out of a corvette occasionally...! But I'm open to suggestions! I'm STILL waiting on parts and machine work.

Highwayman-it's a 64.5/71/14, and I want to be able to hook up to the nearest tank and drag it over a mountain...I don't ever want to look at EGT's again...the Special is a bit laggy...lights at about 1800...I'd like stock spool with the pull of the special on the big end...so I'm hoping an S475 over a stocker will fit the bill...I've got a 40-foot 5'er toy hauler that comes in at around 15K when I'm on a vacation mission and if I want to park it on top of a mountain and drink whiskey, I don't want to have to watch EGT's on one side or break things on the other...

'Rah Back!

s/f

Jamie

Last edited by USMCShooter; 08-12-2020 at 02:46 PM.

Old 08-12-2020, 09:09 PM   #5
thatguy69

Name: thatguy69
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
62/65/14 over a 475/96/1.10 here with 6x13s and a sovp. It tows great and daily drives even better. Egts might hit 1400 on a tall steep grade with 26k+gcvw. Spool up is quick, I think it's about as good as it gets unless you go common rail

Old 08-13-2020, 07:03 AM   #6
zachu812

Name: zachu812
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
I think an HE351 over an S475 will do just what you're looking for. Ran that setup for a while on a VP truck and a kept it for a bit after it was ppumped too. Very responsive, almost impossible to pull it under the chargers on a short shift. If you do go that route I'd recommend opening up the wastegate passage on the HE351 turbine housing, there's a few threads about it out there.

Closed Thread