Just curious

BlackSkyRacing

Living Under a Rock
Just wondering what you guys think... I am thinking about hooking to the sled this summer and wanted to know a few things. I'll start out with what i plan on running...

450-500rwhp
3.73 posi
33x12.5 TSL thornbirds
47RH with a billet input and some other updated parts
Traction bars

Just wondering if you guys think I will make it anywhere with this set-up and if you think I will break anything. I tried it once a while back with one wheel wonder and a different set of 33x12.5's and only made 60' :bang

Just wondering what you guys think... I am thinking about hooking to the sled this summer and wanted to know a few things. I'll start out with what i plan on running...

450-500rwhp
3.73 posi
33x12.5 TSL thornbirds
47RH with a billet input and some other updated parts
Traction bars

Just wondering if you guys think I will make it anywhere with this set-up and if you think I will break anything. I tried it once a while back with one wheel wonder and a different set of 33x12.5's and only made 60' :bang

Get your rear end blocked up. Drop a little tire pressure get some traction bars and run 1st gear you will do better then u think

Get your rear end blocked up. Drop a little tire pressure get some traction bars and run 1st gear you will do better then u think

Right I forgot about that... How should i block the rear end? I have a unique set of traction bars in mind already and hope to have them installed before spring.

Thornbirds will hurt you, they were made for looks, not traction. Find something with alittle more grip. They will let you keep your wheel speed up though :D

Thornbirds will hurt you, they were made for looks, not traction. Find something with alittle more grip. They will let you keep your wheel speed up though :D

I have a set of 35x13.5 truxxus tires i might be able to borrow.... I would assume those are way too tall for my gears though right??? Would a 285 firestone destination M/T work good?

Give a shout to Kino Fab, He is working on making some pretty good adjustable bump stops. On a good track a good set of AT tires is really all you would need. Running to agressive of a tire will insure that you will break something or not be able to unlock all your power. Better in my book to have just enough traction but still be able to spin out of you are over powered. You have a really good start though. Good Luck.

Fireman450

I have a set of 35x13.5 truxxus tires i might be able to borrow.... I would assume those are way too tall for my gears though right??? Would a 285 firestone destination M/T work good?

Stay away from the 35 your gear ratio is tall enough 1st gear is 2.45 to 1 and 2cd is 1.45 your final in 1st is 9.13 and 2 is 5.40 .1st gear would be my pick your going to need a good amount of HP for 1st.Lynn is running 4.88 and in 2nd his final is 14.83 and gets under the turbo at the end of the track.
I wouldn't use to of agressive of tire so you can keep the tire speed up.JMOI would try BFG a/t they don't throw much dirt in front of the sled and then it won't feel like your pulling a scraper behind you.

Dale

Stay away from the 35 your gear ratio is tall enough 1st gear is 2.45 to 1 and 2cd is 1.45 your final in 1st is 9.13 and 2 is 5.40 .1st gear would be my pick your going to need a good amount of HP for 1st.Lynn is running 4.88 and in 2nd his final is 14.83 and gets under the turbo at the end of the track.
I wouldn't use to of agressive of tire so you can keep the tire speed up.JMOI would try BFG a/t they don't throw much dirt in front of the sled and then it won't feel like your pulling a scraper behind you.

Dale

Should have taken the final drive ratio into effect, thanks for that reminder... That's pretty nuts considering my target ratio for my econo mod (tractor rear end with small block V8's) is 28:1 and I'm going to be using a 550hp 340. Though I suppose the difference would be 4,000rpm vs almost 8,000 :bang

I was kind of wondering about the whole tire thing... That's the big deal about using tires that are almost wore out or cut specifically for pulling, like I am going to have to do for my econo mod.

You know they have no rules on cut tires :evil That and I get to sneak into the 6,000# class with the gassers if I wanted to (they feel sorry for me since I'm 2wd) :kick:

I guess it all depends on the type of track too. Most of the tracks that I would be able to hook on are either red or yellow clay and the guys at those tracks are AWESOME about track prep.

if most of the tracks you go too are hard bitingand tacky, Go with a good set of A/T's. I run 285/70-17 Mickey Thompson ATZ's and I absolutly love them. The BFG's are also a good tire, and the Truxxus STS's. What kind of Traction bar setup are you going with? If your funding allows, it maybe wise to try and find a NP241DHD Transfer case. This way you can run the low side, shift to second and have the converter locked. This will allow you to take off alittle easier to get the tires hooked up off the line, then on the far end you can unlock the converter to keep from getting under the charger.

if most of the tracks you go too are hard bitingand tacky, Go with a good set of A/T's. I run 285/70-17 Mickey Thompson ATZ's and I absolutly love them. The BFG's are also a good tire, and the Truxxus STS's. What kind of Traction bar setup are you going with? If your funding allows, it maybe wise to try and find a NP241DHD Transfer case. This way you can run the low side, shift to second and have the converter locked. This will allow you to take off alittle easier to get the tires hooked up off the line, then on the far end you can unlock the converter to keep from getting under the charger.

I have the trans in my truck tore down right now, so if I could find a 4x4 OD housing it wouldn't be that hard... I think the style of traction bars I plan on running is a CalTrac; the kind that mounts in your front spring perch with a pivot and to the bottom of your axle by the shock mount. I have an old set of 33x12.5R16.5s mounted on some 10" wide rims I could throw on...

How long are those traction bars? Sounds like they are only about 3ft long. Those really will not help you that much. It would be better to have a longer set made that mounts just in front of the center of the doors if not a little further. This way it will try to pick up the front end a little bit and transfer the weight to the back of the truck. I can build you a set of bars and brackets. PM me for more details and price.

How long are those traction bars? Sounds like they are only about 3ft long. Those really will not help you that much. It would be better to have a longer set made that mounts just in front of the center of the doors if not a little further. This way it will try to pick up the front end a little bit and transfer the weight to the back of the truck. I can build you a set of bars and brackets. PM me for more details and price.

From what I've read on the CalTrac design it seems to do a pretty good job of transfering weight... PM sent though, I haven't built anything yet so I'm still open for suggestions.

Just a little bump... I was given a 14-bolt GM with 4.10's and a spool. I'll run it for a little while till I get the money for a posi to go in there. I figured it would be a good idea to get rid of my poor little 60 before I grenade it :doh: I was also given a 208 t-case that had the chain case explode, I figured take it to my friend that can weld aluminum and seal up the case to fill it back up with fluid.

I also came across a 46RE out of a 4x4 and I have been thinking about going with a full manual VB and swapping my 2wd RH OD section for the 4x4 RE OD section and running that 208 gearbox... The problem is, then I wouldn't have that option for my dedicated mod tractor. But that's gonna have a planetary rear end and I should be ahead of the game with that anyway since I'll be running an auto (the 46RE) and everyone else is running slipper clutches

Just wondering what you guys think. :poke:

Back