Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > General Diesel Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Diesel Tech Farm equipment, Medium Duty, Big Rigs, and other General discussion can be found in here.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2017, 05:14 AM   #21
jfaulkner
 
jfaulkner's Avatar

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ohio
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 4,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevota84 View Post
Has anybody ever isolated the jwac from engine coolant and ran it with a separate cooler? I started pondering on it the other day while I was piecing a cummins together.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk


Yea it’s been thought about but electric pump wasn’t appealing so decided to just go CAC. I mean the new Fords do it and it seems to work well.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RascalMafia View Post
Do you work at a full time dealer or TEPS, and whereabouts geographically?


Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Small fleet owner that also helps a friend at a independent shop when I’m not driving. No way I could put up with the dealer shop politics.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessRRA View Post
Flipping your mirrors up when you don't tow? That serves no purpose other than to let me know that you are a douche, from a distance.
 
Old 11-09-2017, 06:18 AM   #22
Tobin
 
Tobin's Avatar

Name: Tobin
Title: 5.7 IDI Powaa!
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 1,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
Watch out now he’s “cat certified”. Certified by the same DF’s that thought cutting the relief groves in the heads was a good idea. How could this ever be an issue?

Click the image to open in full size.

Oh and yes Jared’s 800hp B still has the original white paint on the cooler from 1985.

Carry on.
Is that what I think it is? A cut between the fire rings??? Who? What??
__________________
2006 Dodge QCLB 4x4 Goerend 48RE

1977 F250 "High Boy" 12 valve, 180 pump, 5x.014 injectors, Goerend 47RH, NP271, 2007 F250 axles....swap in progress

1995 Dodge 2500 4x4 47RH SCLB
 
Old 11-09-2017, 06:23 AM   #23
biggy238
 
biggy238's Avatar

Name: biggy238
Title: Too Much Time
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Just North of Wrong
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 7,663
Yes, cylinder to void breach.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
__________________
Quote:
People tend to be tribal
05.5 Campanella White TDi Jetta 5spd 45.5MPG
-Little Sexy
'10 Silver F250 CCLB 4X4 5.4L Auto
-Janus
 
Old 11-09-2017, 06:30 AM   #24
jfaulkner
 
jfaulkner's Avatar

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ohio
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 4,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
Is that what I think it is? A cut between the fire rings??? Who? What??


Yea the heads have cuts between the cylinders for the gasket to get pushed up into. Detroit started it and Cat thought it was such an idiotic idea they needed to try it. We fill them and o ring the heads and solved the cat HG issues. Of course a local “cat” mechanic caught wind of it and his head popped off, swore those have to be in the head. He wasn’t around for the 3406 flat heads that would occasionally pop a gasket out the back of 6. Blowing every 3 weeks between 5-6 is just normal to him with the new stuff.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessRRA View Post
Flipping your mirrors up when you don't tow? That serves no purpose other than to let me know that you are a douche, from a distance.
 
Old 11-09-2017, 07:15 AM   #25
Rig Wrench
 
Rig Wrench's Avatar

Name: Rig Wrench
Title: Wannabe Tech
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: In the ditch
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
Yea the heads have cuts between the cylinders for the gasket to get pushed up into. Detroit started it and Cat thought it was such an idiotic idea they needed to try it. We fill them and o ring the heads and solved the cat HG issues. Of course a local “cat” mechanic caught wind of it and his head popped off, swore those have to be in the head. He wasn’t around for the 3406 flat heads that would occasionally pop a gasket out the back of 6. Blowing every 3 weeks between 5-6 is just normal to him with the new stuff.
I've got an original e-model head on the shelf without the cuts in it, but its got the typical cracks between the valves. Any fix for that or put it in the scrap pile?
 
Old 11-09-2017, 03:48 PM   #26
mhuggler

Name: mhuggler
Title: One piece at a time
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Uno, Pa.
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinCAT View Post
So all the 587hp generator set engines have the paint burnt off of their JWAC?

Look up 5kj8073, 515hp truck engine, has a JWAC.
Now we're comparing apples and oranges. That 587hp engine will have a different turbo than the truck engine. Keep in mind that gen. engine only ever runs at 1800rpm. It's a lot easier to size a turbo/housings that keeps cool that way. Besides that, "high hp" is a relative term and we're obviously far apart on this one. Depending on what HP it started out as, I've already taken one up to 525hp without a problem. I made the mistake of assuming the op would compare the power to the more common turned up 4mg's that really lay it down. I also didn't want to sound cocky about it; I'm just pissed off because I've been working in rain and snow in a stank mulch field all week!
__________________
2002 2500 4x4 ETH/DEE-F1 Mach 5's/62/65/12/Smarty/ATS Ex.manifold/AFE intake/TST Comp./.020 marine gasket/o-ringed/ARP studs/5"stacks/Airdog 150/Isspro guages/Southbend 3600 DD/3.54 gears/leveling kit/Bilstein 5100frt,5150rr/37" BFG A/T's on 18" Eagle 114's/Borgeson SS/DSS
 
Old 11-09-2017, 04:16 PM   #27
chevota84
 
chevota84's Avatar

Name: chevota84
Title: Too Much Time
Status: Here
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Prineville, OR
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 4,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
Yea it’s been thought about but electric pump wasn’t appealing so decided to just go CAC. I mean the new Fords do it and it seems to work well.





Small fleet owner that also helps a friend at a independent shop when I’m not driving. No way I could put up with the dealer shop politics.
Yeah. I guess you could just carry a spare. I was thinking a belt drive pump and a thermostat if you could find one low enough.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
__________________
99 Dodge 2500 with stuff
 
Old 11-09-2017, 04:17 PM   #28
SmokinCAT
 
SmokinCAT's Avatar

Name: SmokinCAT
Title: Cheap and Easy.
Status: Here
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hillsboro, Oh
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 2,690
Different turbo maybe, but at full load it still has a turbo outlet temp of around 375* and that is at only around 31psi.

My 855 still has the original style cooler, I see upwards of 90psi when pulling and it still has its paint on it...
 
Old 11-09-2017, 08:07 PM   #29
chevota84
 
chevota84's Avatar

Name: chevota84
Title: Too Much Time
Status: Here
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Prineville, OR
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 4,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinCAT View Post
Different turbo maybe, but at full load it still has a turbo outlet temp of around 375* and that is at only around 31psi.

My 855 still has the original style cooler, I see upwards of 90psi when pulling and it still has its paint on it...
I thought I saved the picture of it all split apart but I guess not lol.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
__________________
99 Dodge 2500 with stuff
 
Old 11-09-2017, 10:46 PM   #30
SmokinCAT
 
SmokinCAT's Avatar

Name: SmokinCAT
Title: Cheap and Easy.
Status: Here
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hillsboro, Oh
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 2,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevota84 View Post
I thought I saved the picture of it all split apart but I guess not lol.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
It may be broken, but there is still paint on it. LoL
 
Old 11-10-2017, 02:48 AM   #31
jfaulkner
 
jfaulkner's Avatar

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ohio
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 4,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig Wrench View Post
I've got an original e-model head on the shelf without the cuts in it, but its got the typical cracks between the valves. Any fix for that or put it in the scrap pile?


Scrap unfortunately
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessRRA View Post
Flipping your mirrors up when you don't tow? That serves no purpose other than to let me know that you are a douche, from a distance.
 
Old 11-10-2017, 03:14 AM   #32
jfaulkner
 
jfaulkner's Avatar

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ohio
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 4,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhuggler View Post
Now we're comparing apples and oranges. That 587hp engine will have a different turbo than the truck engine. Keep in mind that gen. engine only ever runs at 1800rpm. It's a lot easier to size a turbo/housings that keeps cool that way. Besides that, "high hp" is a relative term and we're obviously far apart on this one. Depending on what HP it started out as, I've already taken one up to 525hp without a problem. I made the mistake of assuming the op would compare the power to the more common turned up 4mg's that really lay it down. I also didn't want to sound cocky about it; I'm just pissed off because I've been working in rain and snow in a stank mulch field all week!

I don’t want to come across like an a-hole it’s just some of the dumbest mechanics I’ve ever met are factory trained. It’s because they get a continuous IV drip of factory Kool-Aid and they preach it like a zombie. All they know is “factory spec” and anything outside of that is WRONG!!!


The performance market proves that crap wrong daily, you think Detroit and Eaton would approve of turning a DDEC5 to 1500hp and dumping the clutch at 2000rpm hooked to a trailer weighing 100k? They will tell you how you have to change all the internals and complete driveline to turn a 500 to a 550. We’ve become numb to that chit anymore. Leon Smith - YouTube
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessRRA View Post
Flipping your mirrors up when you don't tow? That serves no purpose other than to let me know that you are a douche, from a distance.
 
Old 11-10-2017, 03:29 AM   #33
mhuggler

Name: mhuggler
Title: One piece at a time
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Uno, Pa.
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
I don’t want to come across like an a-hole it’s just some of the dumbest mechanics I’ve ever met are factory trained. It’s because they get a continuous IV drip of factory Kool-Aid and they preach it like a zombie. All they know is “factory spec” and anything outside of that is WRONG!!!


The performance market proves that crap wrong daily, you think Detroit and Eaton would approve of turning a DDEC5 to 1500hp and dumping the clutch at 2000rpm hooked to a trailer weighing 100k? They will tell you how you have to change all the internals and complete driveline to turn a 500 to a 550. We’ve become numb to that chit anymore. Leon Smith - YouTube
You didn't read my entire post. I just told you I took one to 525hp without any issues. And while I do get training from Cat, I was an established engine technician long before I was hired from a Cat dealer. The first engine I ever built was an 855 small cam.
__________________
2002 2500 4x4 ETH/DEE-F1 Mach 5's/62/65/12/Smarty/ATS Ex.manifold/AFE intake/TST Comp./.020 marine gasket/o-ringed/ARP studs/5"stacks/Airdog 150/Isspro guages/Southbend 3600 DD/3.54 gears/leveling kit/Bilstein 5100frt,5150rr/37" BFG A/T's on 18" Eagle 114's/Borgeson SS/DSS
 
Old 11-10-2017, 03:39 AM   #34
mhuggler

Name: mhuggler
Title: One piece at a time
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Uno, Pa.
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinCAT View Post
It may be broken, but there is still paint on it. LoL
Yup, I think I'm done. You just successfully took me down to your level; I actually just wished I could reach through the screen and grab your little keyboard warrior neck. That's pathetic, just like you. I don't even know why I'm getting so defensive. This was my favorite forum for 10 years now, what a shame.
__________________
2002 2500 4x4 ETH/DEE-F1 Mach 5's/62/65/12/Smarty/ATS Ex.manifold/AFE intake/TST Comp./.020 marine gasket/o-ringed/ARP studs/5"stacks/Airdog 150/Isspro guages/Southbend 3600 DD/3.54 gears/leveling kit/Bilstein 5100frt,5150rr/37" BFG A/T's on 18" Eagle 114's/Borgeson SS/DSS
 
Old 11-10-2017, 03:51 AM   #35
SmokinCAT
 
SmokinCAT's Avatar

Name: SmokinCAT
Title: Cheap and Easy.
Status: Here
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hillsboro, Oh
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 2,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhuggler View Post
Yup, I think I'm done. You just successfully took me down to your level; I actually just wished I could reach through the screen and grab your little keyboard warrior neck. That's pathetic, just like you. I don't even know why I'm getting so defensive. This was my favorite forum for 10 years now, what a shame.
You specifically said it would burn the paint off if turned up, I own both a 3406 and 855, both are built to way outside the stock parameters, when you make a claim that turning up an engine with JWAC to someone that owns them and both are well north of anything close to stock and probably have turbo outlet temps in the 400-500 range on the 3406 and even higher on the compound turbo 855 and neither have ever burnt the paint off of them.
 
Old 11-10-2017, 10:56 AM   #36
jfaulkner
 
jfaulkner's Avatar

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ohio
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 4,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhuggler View Post
Yup, I think I'm done. You just successfully took me down to your level; I actually just wished I could reach through the screen and grab your little keyboard warrior neck. That's pathetic, just like you. I don't even know why I'm getting so defensive. This was my favorite forum for 10 years now, what a shame.


Don’t trip on your lip on the way out. Come to the non-oem side and you’ll see how the real world functions. Then when you hear “you can’t do that” about stuff you’ve been doing for years you will understand where we’re coming from.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessRRA View Post
Flipping your mirrors up when you don't tow? That serves no purpose other than to let me know that you are a douche, from a distance.
 
Old 11-10-2017, 11:43 AM   #37
Snedge
 
Snedge's Avatar

Name: Snedge
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Western Pa.
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 15,289
Truck fight !!!
 
Old 11-10-2017, 11:51 AM   #38
Rig Wrench
 
Rig Wrench's Avatar

Name: Rig Wrench
Title: Wannabe Tech
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: In the ditch
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
Don’t trip on your lip on the way out. Come to the non-oem side and you’ll see how the real world functions. Then when you hear “you can’t do that” about stuff you’ve been doing for years you will understand where we’re coming from.
Its funny, friend of mine workin at the local kw house said just this year (i believe) mother cat said they want liner portrusions set at 5-6 thous now. And new headbolts on any engine gettin a warranty. He told the rep that he'd been doin that for 20 yrs. (Sense the 5ek days). Thats how he tought me 10 years ago. Lol.
 
Old 11-10-2017, 11:53 AM   #39
BRE
 
BRE's Avatar

Name: BRE
Title: Too Much Time
Status: Here
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Southwest MO
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 12,301
Wait what?! Actual liner protrusion?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
__________________
Rick
07 Dodge 3500 - Tow mirrors, silencer ring MIA, Spectra air filter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
There really is nothing better than OEM. That goes for anything from turbos to boobs.
RIP Dex KCCO
 
Old 11-10-2017, 12:16 PM   #40
Snedge
 
Snedge's Avatar

Name: Snedge
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Western Pa.
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 15,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRE View Post
Wait what?! Actual liner protrusion?

Umm... yes.
 
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:40 PM.

 


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2006 - 2018, CompetitionDiesel.com
all information found on this site is property of www.competitiondiesel.com