Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area-Ford > Ford Tech > 6.0 Powerstroke
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

6.0 Powerstroke Discussion of the 03-06 6.0

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 06:31 PM   #41
UNBROKEN

Name: UNBROKEN
Title: Ezekiel 25:17
Member`s Gallery
...great minds...

Old 01-27-2008, 06:36 PM   #42
ralphinnj

Name: ralphinnj
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
I guess that calculation was too heavy for you guys.....

Old 01-27-2008, 07:20 PM   #43
ralphinnj

Member`s Gallery
One correction, where it says "nozzle" it should say "injector size" in the table I created above. It won't let me edit it.

Josh, I was re-reading and maybe you were answering my original question? That makes sense. That is, if you want to limit amount, a contrictive nozzle can limit the flow given a certain time of opening. Thanks.

Ralph

Old 01-27-2008, 07:25 PM   #44
bones

Name: bones
Title: certified n bovine defctn
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre32
Ummm if the air is colder then it is denser. Thus when it goes through the compressor you get a higher eff. out of it. Higher efficiency translates to more boost because the air is already denser than at ambient temp. When the compressor does work on the system it will raise the temp of the air, which is why we have intercoolers. CFM would be the base part of trying to estimate all that is being done here. You kind of need to know what the max volume of air a compressor can do work on to estimate how much more NOX you would need to completely burn whatever unit of fuel your shooting for.
yeah i understand how it works i was asking if he had figured that into his findings or was this a point were variation could arise

Old 01-27-2008, 07:44 PM   #45
Mooring Product

Name: Mooring Product
Title: I just don't care
Member`s Gallery
You guys make me feel dumb....

2012 3500 Mega Dually Laramie loaded 3:73

Speed never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you. Jeremy Clarkson.

[url]www.mooringproductsworldwide.com[url]

Old 01-27-2008, 07:46 PM   #46
ralphinnj

Member`s Gallery
I did not factor it. I was trying to develop a rough guide to max power available for a certain injector size. Since HUEI injectors can only deliver a fixed amount (the size of the reservoir), I thought it was worth trying to estimate it. A lot of factors will influence the true numbers, but we have to start somewhere.

Ralph

Old 01-27-2008, 08:15 PM   #47
Dalpilot

Name: Dalpilot
Title: Joe Nobody!
Member`s Gallery
Sounds good to me Ralph.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:45 PM   #48
BogginF350

Name: BogginF350
Title: Never Satisfied
Member`s Gallery
Ralph alot of guys sell an injector that they say is a 190mm. It is mechanicly a 190 for sure. It will flow that but it might take 4ms. Thats fine on a 7.3 but with the 6.0 we only have a max of about 2.6ms. You can use a custom pogramed ficm but trust me thats not for everyone. I have seen alot of guys 190 injectors with the wrong nozzles and they flow less than our 150`s. I have had so many people call me wanting huge sticks and I try to explain that Someones 190`s dont flow like someone elses. They are not all created equal. Also sizing the nozzle to the Ficm flash has neted some pretty interesting results. Toby remember me trying to talk you out of the 225`s?
08` reg cab 588/1180

Old 01-28-2008, 07:38 AM   #49
ralphinnj

Member`s Gallery
So, you mean that in 2.6 milliseconds, the injector is open and whatever you get in during that time is all there is to get, right? So if the "piston" that pushes the fuel in doesn't move fast enough, you don't get the full 190, even though the chamber holds 190. I think I get what you are saying. Correct me if I am wrong.

That just adds another level of complexity, that being that not all 190's or 225's or whatever, are the same. Other than lower power levels, how would one know whether a particular injector was designed right to deliver all of its contents when requested to?

Ralph

Old 01-28-2008, 09:58 AM   #50
UNBROKEN

Member`s Gallery
That's going to get into oil pressure availability...and a good fuel system.
The best 225 on the market isn't gonna push out all the fuel if it never gets filled all the way.
It's also not gonna fire all the fuel if there's not enough oil pressure to accomplish the task....which as we all know is the reason these huge injectors aren't for much more than bragging rights right now....with a few exceptions.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:03 AM   #51
UNBROKEN

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphinnj
, that being that not all 190's or 225's or whatever, are the same. Other than lower power levels, how would one know whether a particular injector was designed right to deliver all of its contents when requested to?
Not much to designing one....cut down the plunger so it'll hold more fuel, weld up one of the oil holes and match the hole size in the nozzle to empty the given amount of fuel in the given amount of time. Oversimplified of course...but you get the idea.

There are some injectors out that I don't understand...like bigger nozzles only...that makes no sense to me. Why would you just dump all the fuel at once instead of at a controlled rate for the size of injector ? These aren't common rail motors where that line of thinking works just fine.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:21 AM   #52
ralphinnj

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNBROKEN
There are some injectors out that I don't understand...like bigger nozzles only...that makes no sense to me. Why would you just dump all the fuel at once instead of at a controlled rate for the size of injector ? These aren't common rail motors where that line of thinking works just fine.
Isn't that what WAO Racing says he does (just takes a stock injector and put a bigger nozzle on it)? I don't get it either. The only explanation would be if the stock nozzles are too restrictive and are not allowing the full 135 to be shot in.

Ralph

Old 01-28-2008, 03:08 PM   #53
BogginF350

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Not much to designing one....cut down the plunger so it'll hold more fuel, weld up one of the oil holes and match the hole size in the nozzle to empty the given amount of fuel in the given amount of time. Oversimplified of course...but you get the idea.
Cutting the plunger will do nothing, the stroke is increased with the intensifier piston.

You do not weld or plug any oil holes.

Quote:
You cannot empty the factory injector with a stock nozzle. They increase nozzle size to utilize the extra mm^ of fuel. I feel a stock injector holds 500rwhp if we could tune pulsewidth.

08` reg cab 588/1180

Old 01-28-2008, 03:10 PM   #54
WAO Racing

Name: WAO Racing
Title: Get Smoked
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphinnj
Isn't that what WAO Racing says he does (just takes a stock injector and put a bigger nozzle on it)? I don't get it either. The only explanation would be if the stock nozzles are too restrictive and are not allowing the full 135 to be shot in.

Ralph

I have never said that or anything like that. I have already told you I have stock injectors and stock turbo. That means not modified in any way other than what the SCT can do with them. Now If you still dont believe it get your cash and your a$$ down here and i will prove it. ENOUGH SAID!
RFPR
Zex

Gone but not forgotten, may you rest in peace my friend!

Old 01-28-2008, 03:56 PM   #55
barry1me

Name: barry1me
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogginF350
Cutting the plunger will do nothing, the stroke is increased with the intensifier piston.

I have also heard of injector builders pluging the hole. I believe with weld.

Old 01-28-2008, 04:04 PM   #56
Morepower02

Name: Morepower02
Title: diesel junky
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAO Racing
I have never said that or anything like that. I have already told you I have stock injectors and stock turbo. That means not modified in any way other than what the SCT can do with them. Now If you still dont believe it get your cash and your a$$ down here and i will prove it. ENOUGH SAID!

Previous: 2002 F-350 476 RWHP WRECKED 8-05

Old 01-28-2008, 04:47 PM   #57
ralphinnj

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I feel a stock injector holds 500rwhp if we could tune pulsewidth.
Do you think 500RWHP (~600 crank HP) can run 12.5 quarters at 7K or more pounds?

Ralph

http://www.web-cars.com/math/qtr_mile.html

Old 01-28-2008, 04:53 PM   #58
UNBROKEN

Member`s Gallery
Wrong forum guys...leave the pissing contests where they belong.

If this 12.5 with stock injector crap comes up in this thread again....say goodbye to the thread.

Last edited by UNBROKEN; 01-28-2008 at 05:09 PM.

Old 01-28-2008, 05:00 PM   #59
UNBROKEN

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
My mistake with the word 'oil'...but there's a hole inside that's welded up...or plugged...and I did say oversimplified.

Old 01-28-2008, 05:04 PM   #60
BogginF350

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by barry1me
I have also heard of injector builders pluging the hole. I believe with weld.

I weld, just alot different than most.

http://competitiondiesel.com/forums/...ad.php?t=21683
08` reg cab 588/1180

Closed Thread