6.7 injectors into a 5.9 head?

This is partly speculation on my part but from what I've read from bosch the solenoid is faster acting, and the control end of the injector is standing up better. Look in the forums very few failing c
ompared to that inglorious bastard CRIN1.6 injector.

The control side is faster. It has less area to fill. A smaller control chamber and everything is lower in mass.

The problem is currently the nozzle available is a 146 degrees. Not good for a 04.5+. For you - the mono Mahles would be great for this injector.

The control side is faster. It has less area to fill. A smaller control chamber and everything is lower in mass.

The problem is currently the nozzle available is a 146 degrees. Not good for a 04.5+. For you - the mono Mahles would be great for this injector.

Yeah that's exactly what I'm thinking.

I heard that bosh has changed things around for the 5.9 injectors again and are shipping non SS bodies with new orders for replacement injectors.

Here are some pictures of the 6.7 head and injectors.

Attachments

• 6.7 head (Medium).jpg
    6.7 head (Medium).jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 85
  • 5.9 head (Medium).jpg
    5.9 head (Medium).jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 5.9 injector in 5.9 head (Medium).jpg
    5.9 injector in 5.9 head (Medium).jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 113
  • 6.7 injector in 5.9 head (Medium).jpg
    6.7 injector in 5.9 head (Medium).jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 109
The pics are 6.7 head, 5.9 head, 5.9 injector in 5.9 head, and 6.7 injector in 5.9 head. It looks like they would fit but would require some machining to fit.

5 degree difference in spray angle I think. The bowl is wider on the 6.7 piston (although the same design as an 03-04). It's close enough that I think an 03 injector in a 6.7 engine should be fine (like what I am going to do - with 03 electronics).

I was told that the pintle is much lighter in a 6.7 injector (moving parts are smaller too) and that it was a balancing act by the solenoid to operate the pintle correctly. You change the weight of the moving parts and the timing of the pintle opening and closing would be off from the factory specs and could cause problems. This is also assuming you could machine the parts as necessary to make an earlier nozzle/pintle fit onto a later injector.

146 degrees on a stock 6.7 nozzle 144 degrees on a 03-04 nozzle if I remember right.

I think the jury is still out on if a 5.9 ecu runs them....Zach said he's done it.

I'm still waiting on my CRIN3's from Bosch, but I'm going to try it with the stock ecu for kicks.

I'll be finding out here shortly, hopefully next weekend we're going to attempt to fit the 6.7 injectors in my 03 head. I'm fairly confident it will work. I've been wanting a 6.7 block to do the same thing GOT-Torque, that will be an amazing motor! Once I can afford it' I'll do it.

I cant say if the 6.7 injector will drop into the 5.9 head from memory. It has been 3 years since I went down this road. I seem to recall that it will NOT fit. The 6.7 has a radius on the bottom of the body. The 5.9 is flat. I dont see a reason for the radius other than to help avoid getting the wrong injector into the wrong engine.

Further, we could not get the 6.7 injector to run with the 5.9 ECM. This may be another issue we had though. I would like to visit this again one day. I have a ton of available information on the 6.7 injectors.

I try to run the 6.7 injectors on all of my builds these days 5.9 or 6.7l. I have not had a single one fail in about 2 years of service or rather 2 years of straight abuse. On the 04.5 and up guys I machine .040" off of the head to put the injector deeper in the bowl and they work fine with the piston design, hold downs and the electronics. All of the ones I have tried OHM out to the same resistance as 5.9 injectors even if the actuator is different the function is the same. They are without a doubt the cleanest performance injector I have seen. On the H2 vs. 181/210 comparison I used the 6.7l injectors on an '06 5.9l with an E.D. 66mm with an external gate. Fuel wise it had a smarty tnt-r, mp-8, and a bag of parts. It ended up making 760 I think after some tuning. And btw after the initial spoolup it was smoke free!

I try to run the 6.7 injectors on all of my builds these days 5.9 or 6.7l. I have not had a single one fail in about 2 years of service or rather 2 years of straight abuse. On the 04.5 and up guys I machine .040" off of the head to put the injector deeper in the bowl and they work fine with the piston design, hold downs and the electronics. All of the ones I have tried OHM out to the same resistance as 5.9 injectors even if the actuator is different the function is the same. They are without a doubt the cleanest performance injector I have seen. On the H2 vs. 181/210 comparison I used the 6.7l injectors on an '06 5.9l with an E.D. 66mm with an external gate. Fuel wise it had a smarty tnt-r, mp-8, and a bag of parts. It ended up making 760 I think after some tuning. And btw after the initial spoolup it was smoke free!

Whoa, stock 6.7 tips? If not what hp rating? Being that I have the same bowl design no maching is needed correct? The 2 degree spray patter difference is no concern is it? I'm going to attempt to toss them in my 03 this weekend.

So if i follow this correctly, I can put a set of 5.9 injectors into my 6.7? and If I can do this, What other mods would be required?

So if i follow this correctly, I can put a set of 5.9 injectors into my 6.7? and If I can do this, What other mods would be required?

I wouldnt do it I think the advantage is for 5.9 guys to run 6.7 injectors, last longer and if Im not mistakig I can get them for a hell of alot cheaper..lol

Back