Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 03-07 3rd Gen.
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 08:27 AM   #61
jasonc

Name: jasonc
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
I added an inline heat sinc tube, I guess youd call it. Round finned tube, adds a couple qts to the fluid capacity also. I was outrunning a dual stack trans cooler with fan. I don't have an exact number by how much it dropped temp, but did make a big difference.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:57 AM   #62
RockinRam96

Name: RockinRam96
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sleeper View Post
I’m not entirely sure what would be needed to make your 03 trans similar to an 05 electronically. Keep in mind the 04.5-05 trans were the only year of the tow haul only with no third gear lock out like your 03 has. It also has a Throttle Valve motor on the side of the case which electronically controls the throttle valve. Your 03 trans doesn’t have this nor the wiring and electronics to support the TV motor. My 05 has the tow haul mode, I would much rather have 3rd gear lock out instead. Though a simple electronic box from BD fixes this issue.

For the temperature issue, more cooling capacity would be needed via an auxiliary cooler. I’ve been shopping Derale auxiliary coolers for my 05. I can fit their 15960 between my transfer case and rear of the cab under my truck. It’s their largest auxiliary trans cooler I have found with a stacked fin plate design.
What temperatures are you seeing at peak?

A deep pan gives you more fluid capacity. Meaning it will take a longer amount of time for the fluid to reach operating temperature. I run a PML deep pan mainly for draining fluid easily and a rigid machines flat sealing face. Yet, my pan gasket still leaks.

Glad your rebuild is working for you. A good converter makes a world of difference with these transmissions.
I probably don't haul loads with the truck enough to warrant a trans tuner or the effort involved to convert my trans to enable the tow/ haul mode. I'd like to hear some reviews on the Anteater Tuner Firepunk offers. With 3 settings and lock up capabilities it seems like it would be a nice addition. But for $850 I don't know I can justify it.

I'm guessing that fluid temperatures that I see aren't to worry about. Last night (ambient temps were about 85*-90*) I was slowed down in traffic for a few minutes and saw about 192* fluid temperature. Crusting down the highway at 65-70 it runs about 172*. It will float between those temps depending on the driving conditions.

I'd be curious to see how this trans shifts and the firmness of the shifts with just the torque convert and then couple the torque converter with the shift kit. Doing both at the same time, along with the kit from Firepunk, I don't know what made the biggest difference, but it all put together works great and shifts great.

Old 08-07-2018, 04:16 PM   #63
Red Sleeper

Name: Red Sleeper
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonc View Post
I added an inline heat sinc tube, I guess youd call it. Round finned tube, adds a couple qts to the fluid capacity also. I was outrunning a dual stack trans cooler with fan. I don't have an exact number by how much it dropped temp, but did make a big difference.

The one from Derale?

What do you mean by outrunning a stacked fan cooler? Out cooling?
'91 Cummins w350 5spd

Old 08-07-2018, 05:22 PM   #64
jasonc

Member`s Gallery
Yes Derale, it's on my drag truck. It would get hot after a couple passes. I added the biggest tube heat sync tube from jegs and it made a good difference. Temp was checked with a temp gun on the cooler while running and was like 220, stayed about 190 to 200 after the tube sinc was added. It's made by Russell.

Old 08-07-2018, 05:23 PM   #65
jasonc

Member`s Gallery
It is ran along with the Derale cooler. Not replacing

Old 08-08-2018, 07:20 AM   #66
Red Sleeper

Member`s Gallery
Understood.
My 05 gets hot when towing with minimal air movement. I bypassed the heat exchanger when installing the coolant bypass. Overall coolant temp dropped, but trans heats up a little more. I think a large Derale cooler with fan should fix the problem. Don’t see a tube heat sink working for my application.
'91 Cummins w350 5spd

Old 08-08-2018, 08:12 AM   #67
RockinRam96

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sleeper View Post
Understood.
My 05 gets hot when towing with minimal air movement. I bypassed the heat exchanger when installing the coolant bypass. Overall coolant temp dropped, but trans heats up a little more. I think a large Derale cooler with fan should fix the problem. Don’t see a tube heat sink working for my application.
By heat exchanger, are you referring to the coolant water oil cooler on the back side of the block?

I know we've discussed this before, possibly in a different thread when I was redoing my trans cooler lines. I ended up keeping it. But I wonder how well it keeps the fluid cooler. Someone mentioned it may be wise to keep it to get the fluid to operating temperature during cold weather.

Old 08-08-2018, 08:39 AM   #68
Red Sleeper

Member`s Gallery
Yes, that’s what I’m referring to. Located driver side rear of the block.
The design is to bring the trans fluid up to operating temp consistent with the engine temp. Which in turn also heats the oil quicker in cooler climates. It also helps in keeping the trans fluid at a constant operating temp with the engine coolant temp. Not knowing the effects when I bypassed it, I’m considering plumbing it back in. Which will take some doing. My trans fluid temps are warmer than I’d like when towing. And I’ve heard very few failures of these heat exchangers.
'91 Cummins w350 5spd

Old 10-20-2018, 03:07 PM   #69
RockinRam96

Member`s Gallery
Well I’ve been driving my truck for some time now for about 2,000 with this triple disc converter, fire punks performance rebuild kit and a transformer shift kit. It has been pretty much flawless shifting through the gears and hasn’t missed a beat.

I do have one issue. There is a constant chatter coming from what I believe is the torque converter. The only way I can describe it is, it is similar to a multi-disc clutch when the floater plate chatter. Is this just a noise the triple disc converter makes? It doesn’t seem to matter whether the converter is locked or unlocked. Most noticeable in park or sitting still in gear, but I can hear it going down the road (windows closed, fans off radio off). EDIT: I did recheck all the TC bolts to make sure the flexplate wasn’t chattering.

Other problem I have is a persistent clunking noise just as I’m coming to a stop and the converter unlocks and the trans shifts into 1st. Thought it might be a carrier bearing until I realized I don’t have one being a standard cab. The u-Joints all looked good when I had the trans our.

Any thoughts on either point would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 11-01-2018, 07:10 AM   #70
RockinRam96

Member`s Gallery
Thoughts?

Old 11-12-2018, 02:04 AM   #71
straight 6 roar

Name: straight 6 roar
Member`s Gallery
Converter won’t make any noise, it’s filled with fluid and spinning thousands of times a minute. If I were to put my money on a chatter it would be the exhaust rubbing, trans mount, or maybe a u joint issue but when I had a bad u joint I could feel the high frequency vibrations from 50-60 mph.

Old 11-12-2018, 05:59 AM   #72
Red Sleeper

Member`s Gallery
My DPC triple disk has never made the noise you described. Can you feel any vibration frequency to match the noise?
'91 Cummins w350 5spd

Old 11-12-2018, 08:45 AM   #73
RockinRam96

Member`s Gallery
No vibration what so ever. It is not a dirveline issue either as it makes the noise in park. Plus I checked both the carrier bearing and the u-joints. all are solid.

It doesn't seem to effect the operation of the transmission at all. I might have to get a video to better describe it. As I said, it sounds just like the floater disc chatter I heard in my dual disc clutch.

Last edited by RockinRam96; 11-12-2018 at 08:46 AM.

Old 11-13-2018, 04:53 AM   #74
RockinRam96

Member`s Gallery
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0qiPI-OU_M

This is in park. I don’t believe it is the exhaust. I’m certain it it doming from the transmission. Also, I can’t believe the TC isn’t full of fluid, I put 16 quarts of fluid in it after rebuilding.

Old 11-13-2018, 05:29 AM   #75
jasonc

Member`s Gallery
I've had a conv that rattled similar to what your describing, other than mine would stop the noise after lockup. Never was an issue other than it was annoying.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:22 AM   #76
RockinRam96

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonc View Post
I've had a conv that rattled similar to what your describing, other than mine would stop the noise after lockup. Never was an issue other than it was annoying.

I’ll have to get a video of it in gear. It changes tone.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:28 AM   #77
jasonc

Member`s Gallery
Does it mostly go away after the conv locks?

Old 11-13-2018, 08:42 AM   #78
RockinRam96

Member`s Gallery
Tough to tell. Can’t hear the chatter in the cab with the windows up or going down the road.

Old 01-11-2019, 09:47 PM   #79
Wgluv2hunt

Name: Wgluv2hunt
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
I would get a stethoscope and pin point it down to exactly where it’s coming from.

Closed Thread