Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Competition and Performance
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Dodge Competition and Performance General Dodge Competition and Performance Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 09:15 AM   #1
Rollincole

Name: Rollincole
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
47re line pressure

How much line pressure in a 47re is to much line pressure i built my own tranny and would like to crank it up as much as i can without blowing seals.........

Old 05-20-2010, 02:18 PM   #2
Big Blue24

Name: Big Blue24
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
I'm running about 160psi max on my Junker 47rh and I've been told by more than one person that 200psi is just fine on a race tranny.

When my tranny gets a billet input and upgraded flexplate, I think I'm going to firm up the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts, open up the lock-up circuit so it locks to torque converter faster/firmer, and turn up the line pressure to about 210psi.

Is this question about line pressure for a daily driver?
OEM 12v Block

Old 05-20-2010, 02:50 PM   #3
Rollincole

Member`s Gallery
no not a daily driver and the whole valve body thing is kinda above my head how do you firm up the 1-2 shifts and adjust shift points cool i think im at 170 pounds of line pressure now ....and since i did the trans i keep throwing it inot limp mode i keep reading i need to install a resistor in the wiring harness by the pcm do you know where and what wire

Old 05-20-2010, 03:28 PM   #4
Kronic_187

Name: Kronic_187
Title: Mekanical injection junky
Member`s Gallery
i thought u just popped a fuse and inserted a jumper in the under hood fuse box ??

Old 05-20-2010, 03:34 PM   #5
Rollincole

Member`s Gallery
i know you do that for a lock up switch but as far as preventing the tranny going into limp mode im not sure

Old 05-20-2010, 04:11 PM   #6
BlackSkyRacing

Name: BlackSkyRacing
Title: Living Under a Rock
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollincole View Post
i know you do that for a lock up switch but as far as preventing the tranny going into limp mode im not sure
I'll have to look at my book for which wires, but every Trans-Go kit I've ever installed had instructions and even supplied the resistor. Firming up the shifts involves taking the VB out, taking it apart and drilling a couple of choice holes a little bigger in the serperator plate. It's all in the instructions in the Trans-Go kit... I'd imagine that if you built your own trans that you spent the $100 for at the bare minimum a shift kit.

08 QCSB 4x4 stock (ish) - 68RFE parts test pig

49 Dodge 2.6 pulling project "Gold Digger"

Old 05-20-2010, 04:45 PM   #7
Rollincole

Member`s Gallery
yes i did do the transgo tfod shift kit but it did not explain anything it said to drill holes but it didnt say why or what it did and it did not come with the resistor or instruction to do a resistor if you could find out what wires that would be awsome

Old 05-20-2010, 05:14 PM   #8
BlackSkyRacing

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
yes i did do the transgo tfod shift kit but it did not explain anything it said to drill holes but it didnt say why or what it did and it did not come with the resistor or instruction to do a resistor if you could find out what wires that would be awsome
It should have said why, it should have gave you three choices for different levels of shift firmness and where to drill them to to get it. That's strange that it didn't say where to put the resistor and what size that you need to keep your PCM happy... I'll look around the shop, I'm sure I have the leftovers of an old kit laying around

Old 05-20-2010, 05:18 PM   #9
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
I don't know why folks use the transgo kits check around with tranny builders and you can see. As far as line pressure 210-220 will collapse the forward clutch return spring.
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 05-20-2010, 05:20 PM   #10
Rollincole

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zstroken View Post
I don't know why folks use the transgo kits check around with tranny builders and you can see. As far as line pressure 210-220 will collapse the forward clutch return spring.
so how high would you go???

Old 05-20-2010, 05:21 PM   #11
Rollincole

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSkyRacing View Post
It should have said why, it should have gave you three choices for different levels of shift firmness and where to drill them to to get it. That's strange that it didn't say where to put the resistor and what size that you need to keep your PCM happy... I'll look around the shop, I'm sure I have the leftovers of an old kit laying around
thanks a ton

Old 05-20-2010, 06:21 PM   #12
XLR8R

Name: XLR8R
Title: Crew Chief
Member`s Gallery
Transgo kits are a great way to roach a tired tranny.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:15 PM   #13
scott2001

Name: scott2001
Title: Its never fast enough
Member`s Gallery
how do you turn up the line pressure and how to guage it

Old 05-20-2010, 07:25 PM   #14
BlackSkyRacing

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zstroken View Post
Dave G and Tony from Dunrite both had nothing bad to say about Trans-Go kits... They`re a heck of a lot better than stock and 1/3 the cost of a full VB which for the average guy with minor mods is a nice alternative.

Mine is holding up pretty well considering I`ve just got a good rebuild with borg-warner clutches, one of Dave G`s triple disc TCs, and a Trans-Go kit. 3 years old and close to 70,000 on the rebuild and it`s didn`t skip a beat laying down 422/903.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLR8R View Post
Transgo kits are a great way to roach a tired tranny.
This is true, I`ve seen a lot of people try to "cure" a tired trans with either a shift kit or a quick crank on the line pressure only to have it blow out an apply piston seal or one of the seals on the input for lock-up...

Old 05-20-2010, 08:35 PM   #15
mondtster

Name: mondtster
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Dave G and Tony from Dunrite both had nothing bad to say about Trans-Go kits... They`re a heck of a lot better than stock and 1/3 the cost of a full VB which for the average guy with minor mods is a nice alternative.

Mine is holding up pretty well considering I`ve just got a good rebuild with borg-warner clutches, one of Dave G`s triple disc TCs, and a Trans-Go kit. 3 years old and close to 70,000 on the rebuild and it`s didn`t skip a beat laying down 422/903.
I'd agree with this too.

I think a lot of the perceived issues with the transgo valve body kits stems from installation errors and/or putting them into valve bodies that are worn out to begin with. I've seen burnt up trannys due to these issues several times, including multiple failures of the same trans because the valve body issues were overlooked.

I've used the transgo kits with no issues in a variety of different apps, including the overdrive torqueflites.

Quote:
This is true, I`ve seen a lot of people try to "cure" a tired trans with either a shift kit or a quick crank on the line pressure only to have it blow out an apply piston seal or one of the seals on the input for lock-up...
I'd agree, if a tranny is on its last leg and/or slipping to begin with no valve body is going to help it.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:15 PM   #16
Big Blue24

Name: Big Blue24
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:

If you buy the more expensive $120 TFOD-HD2 reprogramming kit, you get directions on drilling holes to make the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts firmer. I assume all kits give directions about firming up lockup to help the torque converter last longer.

To turn up the line pressure, you need to drop the pan and turn the pressure adjustment allen-head bolt clockwise 1-2 turns. While you're in there, make sure all the hex head bolts are tight and readjust the low/reverse band. If it's too loose and you raise the line pressure, I believe is when it's possible for the servo to get cocked in it's bore.

I don't think it's recommended to run high line pressure with the stock intermediate: apply lever, band strut, and anchor.
OEM 12v Block

Old 05-20-2010, 11:07 PM   #17
Rollincole

Member`s Gallery
i have billet apply levers and upgraded apply servos and accumulator piston and the billet strut i called transgo and they said i need the tfod-diesel kit so i went with that does anybody have the directions to the HD2 kit they can post up or email to me

Old 05-21-2010, 11:27 AM   #18
BlackSkyRacing

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
i have billet apply levers and upgraded apply servos and accumulator piston and the billet strut i called transgo and they said i need the tfod-diesel kit so i went with that does anybody have the directions to the HD2 kit they can post up or email to me
Trust me re-read your TFOD-Dsl instructions, if there were a couple of holes that you drilled in the separator plate then that was what you do... Even the TFOD Shift Kit Jr's have the instructions for firming up 1-2 and 2-3

I am not having any luck finding any of the instruction booklets laying around the shop... It seems someone went on a cleaning spree and decided they weren't important I'll see if I can find some info on it, but if you've already contacted Trans-Go directly, why don't you simply call and ask them

Old 05-21-2010, 03:39 PM   #19
NEsmoker

Name: NEsmoker
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Heres the instructions if it doesint work ill type them out tonight. AS for the resistor i dont know its number, the one i have layin here is blank from dave g.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan resist.jpg (71.1 KB, 34 views)

Old 05-21-2010, 03:43 PM   #20
Rollincole

Member`s Gallery
thanks a ton man that helps alot

Closed Thread