07 6.7 w/ 230k miles. Worth $15k?

diesel_importer

There's a 2007.5 Laramie Mega Cab 4x4 for sale locally. The truck has been in their family (2 owners) since new. All stock, clean looking (haven't driven it yet).

I've always wanted a mega cab for our family vehicle. It's hard to trade a 70k mile Duramax for a 230k mile Dodge though. Should I be worried, since it's had EGR and DPF? He's asking $15k and that sounds cheap!

I wouldn't worry too much about the EGR and DPF. If they got the recent flashes reliability improved greatly. I think it would be worth it, provided there isn't an underlying reason they are selling it.

I wouldn't worry too much about the EGR and DPF. If they got the recent flashes reliability improved greatly. I think it would be worth it, provided there isn't an underlying reason they are selling it.

I agree if it's for towing and family hauling, no sweat. If you are planning on tossing on a bigger charger and nozzles, and pushing it a bit, that's a lot of mileage with EGR. Seems like they glaze the walls past 100k or so. And it's probably about due for a head gasket either way.

Just something to think about. Otherwise, I'd feel pretty comfortable with that jump.

Oh and if you want to make power, that 68rfe is not going to hold it for cheap ;-)

Yea, this would be for the wife, family trips, pull small trailers, etc. I'd definitely tune it, few small mods, and leave it alone. We could sell the GMC and prob payoff this mega, and be without a payment for a while.

I wouldn't be concerned with it being stock for that long.

Biggest concern is it's a 3rd Gen dodge with 230k on it :eek:

But, if it's been well maintained, it does sound like a lot of truck for the money, I just get cold chills thinking about front end work, ECM, TIPM, transmission health, HVAC issues, etc.

One of these days I'll convince you to drive behind a blue oval. Lots of money in working on them, too!

I wouldn't be concerned with it being stock for that long.

Biggest concern is it's a 3rd Gen dodge with 230k on it :eek:

But, if it's been well maintained, it does sound like a lot of truck for the money, I just get cold chills thinking about front end work, ECM, TIPM, transmission health, HVAC issues, etc.

One of these days I'll convince you to drive behind a blue oval. Lots of money in working on them, too!

That front end has come a long ways since early 2nd gen's! Pretty stout track bar, extremely solid steering setup (very similar to Ford now but I think even a little beefier than what I've seen on 6.4's), and the four link lasts well past 300k.
Ball joints are still eh...

I would leave the tuner on a lower setting with that transmission honestly. I do love how smooth they feel for daily driving, but hate the reliability issues with just a little more power being thrown at them.

Just drove it. Drives nice, exterior is prob an 8, interior is a freakin 10! Heated seats, dual climate, electric rear glass, etc. leather is even nice on the driver's seat. It has a check engine light, and I forgot my laptop. I'm going to let my wife drive it and check the engine light, then make an offer.

Just drove it. Drives nice, exterior is prob an 8, interior is a freakin 10! Heated seats, dual climate, electric rear glass, etc. leather is even nice on the driver's seat. It has a check engine light, and I forgot my laptop. I'm going to let my wife drive it and check the engine light, then make an offer.

If you don't, Post up some info so I can come down there! ;-)

looks nice, and the fact that you've known about the truck helps. it's always nice to know history on a truck.

tailpipe looks like it might have a cracked filter. you might want to address that :)

Yea, the turbo took a dump. They had to replace turbo, egr, and clean dpf. Then computer went out, and he put new tires on it in July. There's one little spot of clear coat peeling, and I'd probably get the tailgate painted. I'm really on the fence, because I don't want to get rid of a flawless truck and end up having to work on this thing all the time. I think it's worth the risk, though.

Back