Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Entrance Gate- Welcome to Competition Diesel > Competition Events and Get-Togethers > NHRDA
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

NHRDA Get info on NHRDA events and results here

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 08:06 PM   #21
Runninlean

Name: Runninlean
Title: Say When racing
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlibert View Post
if Super street and Pro street were combined, which class rules would you adhere to?
I would imagine default to PS rules because the PS trucks are already back half'd. The SS guys would not longer have the weight, tire, transmission, hood stack and chassis restrictions.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:08 PM   #22
Runninlean

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tone12V View Post
If you make pro street/super street 1/8 mile it would work easily. At 1/4 mile you kind of leave the super street trucks out to dry. Looks like Super street is going 1/8 mile next year for most of the other events anyways.
How many other events have a SS and PS class?

Old 10-31-2014, 01:43 AM   #23
jlibert

Name: jlibert
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninlean View Post
I would imagine default to PS rules because the PS trucks are already back half'd. The SS guys would not longer have the weight, tire, transmission, hood stack and chassis restrictions.
So, it wouldn't be a merger of the two classes, but rather the elimination of super street.

I'll go against the general consensus and say that a 10.50 index would be better because it would be closer to middle ground between the 11.90 index and 8.80-9.30's that pro street trucks are running.

Old 10-31-2014, 07:36 AM   #24
VMAX

Name: VMAX
Member`s Gallery
My vote for what it matters is to merge SS and PS into one outlaw class and then to make a 10:00 or 10:50 index class. I wil lean towards the 10:50 just because it is a platform that the outlaw guys are using and a few other organizations in the gasser relm.

Benefits going this option.

1 Larger truck count and payouts for Outlaw race.
2 10:50 would be a great middle ground between PS/SS and 11:90
3 I believe truck count will go up due to filling the void between classes.
4 With unified classes between NHRDA and Outlaw events it will make it possible to have trucks that can keep same tune, weight, ect and race all the events. This will be better for racers and the sport.
5 finally a fast class with the ability to run laps! This is what is missing in our sport. Sure PS and SS are fast but they are full of carnage.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:10 AM   #25
dodge girl

Name: dodge girl
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
I would love to see a class that is some sort of middle ground between Super Diesel and Super Street. Like Vmax said there is a huge gap between the 2 classes, I am not sure there is a right answer either 10.50 or 10.90 people aren't gonna be happy.

As we get ready for 2015 we are building a new truck for me to jump up a class but I know I am not gonna hit the track and run 9.99 like the big super street guys. Have a goal of mid 10s next year, cause that 11.90 is a long way from 9.99

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 10-31-2014, 08:45 AM   #26
Runninlean

Member`s Gallery
I will say I think the 10.50 index better suits the gap.

While the 10.50 index does put some trucks around the 135 mph safety break I see SS as no different. Only a handful of people who run the SS class are certified to run 135 mph or 9.99 and faster. How many have played with that line in the last couple years?

Take Anthony for example I am sure he got a warning on his 9 second run at Finals had he done it again he would have been disqualified as I do not believe he has his comp lic. Some trucks can run that number and not hit the 135mph. Why not leave it to them to make sure they have their stuff together?

Old 10-31-2014, 07:59 PM   #27
2Tone12V

Name: 2Tone12V
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
How many other events have a SS and PS class?
My apologies. I meant Pro street is going to 1/8 mile next year. NHRDA will be the only ones running 1/4.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:31 PM   #28
dvst8r

Name: dvst8r
Title: Unobtainium
Member`s Gallery
Well this would leave some of us out to dry, or needing to spend a boat load more money. If we merge ss and ps I think there will likely be a nice 4wd crewcab ss chassis up for sale.

It would quite literally be cheaper to sponsor the 10.90 class than to make the necessary mods to be competitive in ps at this point. That is how big the gap between the top of ss and the top of ps are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonA View Post
If i had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if i had some eggs.

Last edited by dvst8r; 10-31-2014 at 08:33 PM.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:33 PM   #29
jlibert

Name: jlibert
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvst8r View Post
Well this would leave some of us out to dry, or needing to spend a boat load more money. If we merge ss and ps I think there will likely be a nice 4wd crewcab ss chassis up for sale.

It would quite literally be cheaper to sponsor the 10.90 class than to make the necessary mods to be competitive in ps at this point. That is how big the gap between the top of ss and the top of ps are.
I agree. If I had any idea that super street might be going away, there is no way I would have invested time and money the 4x4 platform that I bought in June.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:24 PM   #30
Runninlean

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
My apologies. I meant Pro street is going to 1/8 mile next year. NHRDA will be the only ones running 1/4.
So you guys going to start pulling 150' in the 3.0 class?

That is just silly. Every other class runs the 1/4 while PS runs 8th...

I got an idea how about those PS trucks dial it back a bit to keep stuff together or step up there game like the current 2 PS trucks fighting back and forth for the record. They seem to be making rounds.Oh and how far down the track were you when you broke? How about the lightening or deranged?

Last edited by Runninlean; 10-31-2014 at 10:27 PM.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:49 AM   #31
VMAX

Name: VMAX
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
This is silly. Obviously it is being done to keep trucks making laps and staying together. All though I would have a much better chance racing like this. My back half is crap but 1/8th is solid.

Old 11-01-2014, 09:49 AM   #32
IdahoRob

Name: IdahoRob
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:

if these trucks don't show up to race but maybe once a year, then there will be no diesel organization to race with anyway. Then we are racing with the gassers at the local track and doesn't matter what the rules are anymore.

"Max'd Out" SoCal Engine, Randy's Trans, DDP 9.36@154 MPH SS legal trim.

Old 11-01-2014, 07:06 PM   #33
dodge girl

Name: dodge girl
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Quote:

I don't understand how this is gonna leave you out to dry, for only one event. The people who are looking for changes in the classes are the ones who make several events throughout the year.

Like Rob said we need more trucks at more events!!

Old 11-02-2014, 08:55 AM   #34
dvst8r

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge girl View Post
I don't understand how this is gonna leave you out to dry, for only one event. The people who are looking for changes in the classes are the ones who make several events throughout the year.

Like Rob said we need more trucks at more events!!

You are certainly correct. We are not big travelers and typically only run the Canadian events, back when there was four we ran all four of those. When the guy that owns and drives the truck works 130 days straight it makes it tough to make any events.

Now with that being said, if we are going to show up to ANY events we are there to be competitive. If SS and PS merge and become PS we are a class filler at best.

One final point about merging SS and PS. The argument right now is that SD and SS have too large of a gap, that gap is even larger between the proposed 10.5/10.9 and the 8.9x that PS has become.

I just want Randy to pull the trigger one way or another soon, as unlike most trucks that are campaigned from a diesel shop which has a whole staff to work on it. We build out of a garage on evenings and weekends when people have the time. So depending on the outcome we may have a long winter in front of us.

Quote:

Old 11-02-2014, 09:12 AM   #35
Toolman

Name: Toolman
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
I think a 10.5 index would be a good choice it is popular at the Outlaw events . My truck runs in the low 130's at 10.5 I think it would work great because you could get by with just a roll bar and without the license and the added safety stuff and give that .5 sec buffer before you would be bumping into the 9's where you would have to have all of it. And it would bridge the gap between Pro Street and Super Diesel . There are a lot of trucks out there cable of this right now. So I think it would be a good class.

B&B Tooling 269-496-9021

B & B Tooling Intakes and custom machined parts.

Member of Drive by Wire Mafia

Old 11-02-2014, 11:09 AM   #36
Runninlean

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman View Post
I think a 10.5 index would be a good choice it is popular at the Outlaw events . My truck runs in the low 130's at 10.5 I think it would work great because you could get by with just a roll bar and without the license and the added safety stuff and give that .5 sec buffer before you would be bumping into the 9's where you would have to have all of it. And it would bridge the gap between Pro Street and Super Diesel . There are a lot of trucks out there cable of this right now. So I think it would be a good class.
Thats the problem they have with 10.50 is it not just a 9.99 ET it is 9.99 or 135mph. My truck flirted with 135 on a 10.50 pass. I am not against me having to run 9.99 /135 mph safety spec though.

Old 11-02-2014, 12:47 PM   #37
2Tone12V

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
How many nhrda events do you race the truck at? What are your 1/8 and 1/4 times?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlibert View Post
I agree. If I had any idea that super street might be going away, there is no way I would have invested time and money the 4x4 platform that I bought in June.
Well nothing has gone away so your jumping the gun. I mean you don't even have a truck up and going yet.

Quote:
So you guys going to start pulling 150' in the 3.0 class?

That is just silly. Every other class runs the 1/4 while PS runs 8th...

I got an idea how about those PS trucks dial it back a bit to keep stuff together or step up there game like the current 2 PS trucks fighting back and forth for the record. They seem to be making rounds.Oh and how far down the track were you when you broke? How about the lightening or deranged?
Ok so you don't like 1/8 but want the classes to grow and be much bigger? One or the other, can't have both. Going 1/8 mile makes for the fastest trucks in the nation going rounds along with let LOTS of super street trucks in to be competitive. Maybe it's cause your in a 2wd but in case you don't know. These 4wd trucks aren't exactly safe running the 1/4. So I guess your suggestion would be for all of us to sell and build 2wds....? Don't be so close minded. Tell the fastest trucks in the nation to slow them down, geez...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMAX View Post
This is silly. Obviously it is being done to keep trucks making laps and staying together. All though I would have a much better chance racing like this. My back half is crap but 1/8th is solid.
Exactly, and those commonrail trucks in Super street can get down in the 1/8. Me on the other hand. My trucks back half is great but 1/8 is horrible. But I'm still down. People need to put their big boy pants on and actually go racing before they go pissing and moaning. Or start your own organization if it's so easy to make everyone happy. See how many people show to your events... Just sayin...

Old 11-02-2014, 12:48 PM   #38
2Tone12V

Member`s Gallery
Quote:

Now with that being said, if we are going to show up to ANY events we are there to be competitive. If SS and PS merge and become PS we are a class filler at best.
If your truck is not competitive in PS. Your truck isn't competitive in SS either. And so you are aware. Many of us have the same build struggles. I don't even have a shop or a garage to work in for my truck. I work on my truck with floor jacks and jack stands on my gooseneck all year around.

Last edited by 2Tone12V; 11-02-2014 at 12:51 PM.

Old 11-02-2014, 03:15 PM   #39
dvst8r

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
If your truck is not competitive in PS. Your truck isn't competitive in SS either. And so you are aware. Many of us have the same build struggles. I don't even have a shop or a garage to work in for my truck. I work on my truck with floor jacks and jack stands on my gooseneck all year around.
9's period is competitive in SS with a low 10 second pass winning it at worlds. In PS however at the worlds their were three trucks that were consistent in the 8's, with an 8 second pass needed to make the finals and an 8 second pass winning it... That is a HUGE spread, far bigger than SD to SS.

I can appreciate that and done that myself on several occasions. However with winters here being well below 0F, and snow on the ground from now until April a garage is pretty mandatory .

Quote:

Last edited by dvst8r; 11-02-2014 at 03:28 PM.

Old 11-02-2014, 03:26 PM   #40
dvst8r

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
How many nhrda events do you race the truck at? What are your 1/8 and 1/4 times?
Well now that the NHRDA has pruned it down to one Canadian event, we are currently racing in one. We likely would have made the Billings race this year had it not been for the weather. As I said previously back when there were four Canadian NHRDA events we made all four.

6.1x@119mph best 1/8th
9.41@152mph best 1/4 both on the same pass at the Edmonton NHRDA event, running in SS.

We are more of a consistent high 9's and mid 6's though.

We also still sled pull and do other small grassroots 100', 200' and fastest street car shootouts. So really at the end of the day if SS and PS get merged, we will likely put different gears in it, a different charger on it, build a dedicated weight box and bias it towards pulling vs drag racing. Take a couple years off from the NHRDA and look at building a Pro Stock truck.

Quote:

Closed Thread