What is a good welder for sheetmetal?

jedeka

I am thinking about buying a smaller wire welder that I can keep set up for welding sheetmetal. Any recommendations on a machine and wire size that would work well? Thanks.

I love my Hobart handler 140 welds everything from sheet metal up to 1/4 plate. Works with flux or gas, but obviously is much nicer with gas. It is also a 115v welder so you wont need 220v plug.

Last edited:
I have a 140 lincoln mig. Works well for small stuff especially with the adjustment knobs not having detents for infinite adjustment.

I've used smaller auto set welders that were pretty slick but not much time with them, seems to be a good concept.

I use a miller 130xl and the trick with it is running .023 wire. Bought it for $100 used and put a $75 lead/gun on it and it has never let me down over the past 8 years or so. Perfect for exhaust too.

I love my Hobart handler 140 welds everything from sheet metal up to 1/4 plate. Works with flux or gas, but obviously is much nicer with gas. It is also a 115v welder so you wont need 220v plug.

I have the same one, that little guy is a life saver well worth it.

Back