Journal VS BB?

ShaferDiesel

Way To Small!
Hi guys,

I'm looking at playing with a turbo that I have been running for awhile, the engine setup is changing drastically and I thought I'd just give my turbos a little boost while I'm deep into things. Not having $3500+ to throw at a turbo right now, and having a full machine shop at my fingertips.... I am thinking of doing my own BB conversion to a journal turbo.

The turbo in question is a 88x118 comp with a 110x102 turbine. How much easier does a BB turbo light up? Is there any real noticeable difference at all or is it all ricer hype? I've close to doubled the airflow on this engine and I'm looking real hard at running this as a single and any thoughts would be appreciated!

I wouldn't waste my time. I am not impressed with ball bearing turbochargers whatsoever. A lot of marketing hype is involved with ball bearings. We see more low mile ball bearing units fail than anything. No customer has raved about spool up of their ball bearing units. The converted ones sound like a real treat.

What ball bearings do you plan to use that are rated to withstand 100k+ rpms?

Why do I see ball bearings on the 2500HP pulling tractors then? Not knocking what you have said at all, just trying to figure this big HP **** out lmfao!

After multiple calls to multiple companies and not getting anywhere, I've settled on this little bearing from VXB, It's good for over 100K RPM, able to withstand the heat, I'm going to order two and try it out. We'll see what happens lol!

Next part I'm looking at is a billet compressor wheel, I've found this **** Billet Compressor Wheel Garrett GT4718 763739-0001 88/118mm 6+6 w/ Extended Tip | eBay but really want an 11 blade since I'm running this as a single, are there any 88x118 9.5mm bore 11 blades available?

BBs are used on the tractors where the compressor creates so much thrust load that JB's get wiped out in one pass. The huge single chargers need them.

BBs will NOT tolerate dirty oil. Period.

Last edited:
Angular contact ball bearings are used for their increased thrust load capacity, whether it be to counteract load imbalance between the compressor and turbine, or oil film breakdown due to harmonic resonance while exceeding the supersonic threshold.

Have you looked at air bearings? Just an honest question...I have no idea whether they are a good application for this or not. But they do high speed well.

Back