Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > Import Diesel
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Import Diesel VW TDI, Mercedes, and other Import Diesel Discussion can be found here.

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 08:13 PM   #1
9 LIVES

Name: 9 LIVES
Title: Demolition Expert
Member`s Gallery
VW Jetta sport wagon ?

I know a small amount about VW diesels so I need some input for experienced Vdub guys

My wifes 2010 Honda CRV is toast....200K on it and the motor has been a lemon since we bought in new. It guzzles 4-5 quarts of oil between oil changes since about 40K miles. Honda says this is within spec

We are in the market for a gently used vehicle that will fit our two boys 6 & 7

I am trying to talk her into a VW jetta sport wagon (she wants honda odyssey)
We are trying to buy used from 2010-2016

Any known issues with the jetta wagon I should know about? I know how important it is to use the correct oil in the VW diesels but have no proof buying used if they did.

I've found several 2012-2013 Jetta wagons in and around my area for 12-15K with 50-100K miles. Are these newer engines like the much older ones that can go 300K miles + with the correct care?

She commutes 70 miles a day to work and we take her car on long trips. Always have that fear of getting stranded. Fortunately her honda has never left us stranded while on vacation, I just have to make sure I top off the oil before we leave and when we get back home. Her CRV burnes enough oil it has plugged the CAT and will do so again unless we put a new motor in it.

Heads I win, tails you lose....
-Lee-

Old 10-17-2018, 05:21 AM   #2
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
Not helping you on the VW, but I will give thumbs up to the Honda Odyssey. We have a 2016 and on the highway see right at 27mpg. Been a good vehicle and the resale on them is great. Dealer contacted us. We put no money down(why when the interest is 1.9%). Had the van for 2 years has almost 45k on it and we are trading it in and lowering our payment 30 a month. We are keeping the same loan terms with the new one as well.
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 10-17-2018, 07:16 PM   #3
Simplysmn

Name: Simplysmn
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
We sold our Jetta sport wagen when they were buying them back . and picked up a Golf Altrack little bigger then jetta is all wheel drive gasser and wife run's it during the week as a hospice RN she's averaging 28 to 30 mpg has a little 1.8 turbo .pretty peppy for a 1.8 does the job and handles nice to boot .

Old 10-17-2018, 08:09 PM   #4
SmokeShow

Name: SmokeShow
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
How about the VW SUV that's TDI?

IG: @_mitch_ratliff_

'14 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew, w/ 3.5L EcoBoost, bone stock

83 GMC K30 CC SB 4WD awaiting D/A chassis swap

Old 10-17-2018, 08:20 PM   #5
Mooner1

Name: Mooner1
Member`s Gallery
My wife commutes as well, about 120mi/day to her teaching gig up in Wichita. We traded in our 2004 Jetta TDI on a previous buyback and re-flashed ‘15 Golf SportWagen TDI that had 10k on it and she f-in’ loves it. It has been a really great car thus far. Admittedly we miss the ‘ol pump duse, it was a damn good car for us and earned our respect. As a matter of fact I tried to talk her into some other vehicles but every time she would just ask “does it get 45mpg like the Jetta?”. However with the extera cargo area of a Station wagon, more leg room, leather, panoramic sun-roof, dsg trans, Fender sound system, all the other modern anemitys, plus the 45mpg the SportWagen has just about been the perfect car for our little family. Happy wife, happy life!

Old 10-17-2018, 08:41 PM   #6
Simplysmn

Name: Simplysmn
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeShow View Post
the only diesel that I know of is Jetta or Tiguan or the top of the line VW Tourege something like that .

Old 10-19-2018, 10:46 AM   #7
Got Smoke?

Name: Got Smoke?
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I asked my local TDI Guru about those when my wife was looking for different vehicles and he said RUN from them. They are a nightmare to work on, they are V10 twin turbo and you have to pull the engine to replace the turbos that fail often. Just what I heard....

1997 2500 Jokerfab cyl head, PDR street cam, FDS benched pump, DFI 5x18's, HX35 63/67, FirePunk 47RE & anteater.

2003 Jetta TDI 5spd "DZL WGN" lot's of mods

Old 10-19-2018, 12:40 PM   #8
J-Pipes

Name: J-Pipes
Member`s Gallery
That was the first gen toureg, later ones use a V6 tdi.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Old 10-19-2018, 12:48 PM   #9
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Smoke? View Post
I asked my local TDI Guru about those when my wife was looking for different vehicles and he said RUN from them. They are a nightmare to work on, they are V10 twin turbo and you have to pull the engine to replace the turbos that fail often. Just what I heard....
I've heard that from a TON of people. You've got to drop the whole subframe onto a rack to get to the engine. So basically you better have a hoist and a BEEFY rolling weld table at your disposal. Plus... time.

Quote:
You should check out the Audi Q5 and Q7. The Q5 is pretty quick with the TDI and fast in the Q5S trim with the supercharged V6 gas engine. Then the Q7 TDI had third row seating and can pull down mid-high 20's and tow a ton.
Both TDI vehicles can be found for $25k with 45,000 miles on them. That seems to be the sweet spot.

I think we're moving from Ford back to Audi in the next couple years. (mostly based on Ford strut mounts lasting 30k a pop and I'm sick of swapping them...)

Old 10-19-2018, 01:50 PM   #10
Strokersace

Name: Strokersace
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneliusRox View Post
I've heard that from a TON of people. You've got to drop the whole subframe onto a rack to get to the engine. So basically you better have a hoist and a BEEFY rolling weld table at your disposal. Plus... time.

You should check out the Audi Q5 and Q7. The Q5 is pretty quick with the TDI and fast in the Q5S trim with the supercharged V6 gas engine. Then the Q7 TDI had third row seating and can pull down mid-high 20's and tow a ton.

Both TDI vehicles can be found for $25k with 45,000 miles on them. That seems to be the sweet spot.

I think we're moving from Ford back to Audi in the next couple years. (mostly based on Ford strut mounts lasting 30k a pop and I'm sick of swapping them...)

Been on quite few other forums but and lurking here for a while. 1st post

We have an 07 Audi Q7 Quattro with the 4.2 v8. Love it. Not great on fuel economy(averages 17) but plenty of power and it’s comfortable. It’s my wife’s primary driver. I’ll look for a newer model in a tdi when we upgrade.

Old 10-19-2018, 02:55 PM   #11
sootie

Name: sootie
Title: .....like a BAWSS
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strokersace View Post
Been on quite few other forums but and lurking here for a while. 1st post

We have an 07 Audi Q7 Quattro with the 4.2 v8. Love it. Not great on fuel economy(averages 17) but plenty of power and it’s comfortable. It’s my wife’s primary driver. I’ll look for a newer model in a tdi when we upgrade.
I can vouch for the T3 touaregs in TDI form Ryan. The best enthusiasts board i have found is clubtouareg.com

If anyone is lucky enough to have a "post fix" version and hates the performance, there is a guy in PA de-neutering them to pre fix standards...

Closed Thread