Truckers, lets see your rigs!

Damn gliders...damn thing has an aluminum radiator in it, with no options for direct replacement.

So, now I have to try and figure out what PACCAR changed in 2012. 2012 and down I can buy other options, 2013 up is just an aluminum replacement. WTF.

Chris

What did I miss? Why is aluminum bad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Damn gliders...damn thing has an aluminum radiator in it, with no options for direct replacement.

So, now I have to try and figure out what PACCAR changed in 2012. 2012 and down I can buy other options, 2013 up is just an aluminum replacement. WTF.

Chris

Were Here to Help You! - Radiator Supply House

Where I got my aluminum radiator.

The aluminum radiator will outlast the truck. Had a wrecked 389 here with 1.3mil miles and radiator looked perfect.

Why do you need a replacement?

What did I miss? Why is aluminum bad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Because I can't recore it.

Why do you need a replacement?

Truck gets hot, driver can't use any of your power you gave him. Need more radiator, or there is something messed up about how this thing is built. The old T800 never gets over 205* but this glider will get to 230+ if you don't start backing way out of it.

Didn’t you say they could build an aluminum to a higher level of cooling than a standard radiator?

Could be, I don't think there's anything wrong with aluminum radiators other than you have to have special chit to work on them.

Chris

Because I can't recore it.

Truck gets hot, driver can't use any of your power you gave him. Need more radiator, or there is something messed up about how this thing is built. The old T800 never gets over 205* but this glider will get to 230+ if you don't start backing way out of it.

Could be, I don't think there's anything wrong with aluminum radiators other than you have to have special chit to work on them.

Chris

I’ve recored one radiator ever and swore I would never do it again. Was not worth the effort, was only cheaper if your time isn’t worth anything. I pulled the entire OEM cool pack out of my truck and replaced it with the best aluminum radiator RSH could make and got a Duralite CAC and I don’t have heat issues and my cool pack is the same as a 389.

I would rinse yours out and look at the gauge in the truck. It’s been my experience (especially with my uncle) that “hot” isn’t really hot. He went from one truck to another and the gauge is different. Just because the needle was farther to the right vs his old truck he thought it had an issue and drove around with his engine fan on all the time. Effectively pulling as much dirt in the radiator as he could.

Radiator supply house was the only place I found that didn’t just try and convince you to convert to the older copper fins that rotted away in a few years. But there are lots of trucks around here with more power than your running that have the same radiator you have with no issues. Someone didn’t put cold thermostats in that truck did they?

Last edited:
I’ve recored one radiator ever and swore I would never do it again. Was not worth the effort, was only cheaper if your time isn’t worth anything. I pulled the entire OEM cool pack out of my truck and replaced it with the best aluminum radiator RSH could make and got a Duralite CAC and I don’t have heat issues and my cool pack is the same as a 389.

I would rinse yours out and look at the gauge in the truck. It’s been my experience (especially with my uncle) that “hot” isn’t really hot. He went from one truck to another and the gauge is different. Just because the needle was farther to the right vs his old truck he thought it had an issue and drove around with his engine fan on all the time. Effectively pulling as much dirt in the radiator as he could.

Radiator supply house was the only place I found that didn’t just try and convince you to convert to the older copper fins that rotted away in a few years. But there are lots of trucks around here with more power than your running that have the same radiator you have with no issues. Someone didn’t put cold thermostats in that truck did they?

Who the hell knows? Ohio CAT built the engine with Larson telling them we wanted 475...we never told them anything other that 550hp since we can never have enough. Who knows what we have....

Here's what I get told....Gauge goes to 230, lights, buzzers, and warnings go off and he has to get out of the fuel...Only happens pulling mountains. Used to pull same hills at 40-45mph, now he's at 30-35mph trying to keep it cool.

Finally got told transmission gets to 275* before the lights come on.

As far as recore on a radiator, we do a ton of them since I do them in house. You can't buy radiators for half our stuff, so we're used to that.

I reckon we'll have to tear the charge air off it and give everything a bath and see what we have after than. Blown everything out twice in the last week with air, not dirty with an air wand, but I know that's not as good as the power washer. I'll have to pull the thermostats and change them out too, along with adding a mechanical temp gauge.

Chris

Last edited:
Thanks , that should solve everything.

Chris

What I was getting at was does your driver manually turn the fan on ahead of time or does he wait for the ecm to turn it on? If I don't flip mine on ahead of time I'll be backing out of the throttle before I get to the top. Fan on at the bottom it never heats up. Only a problem when it's hot out. I'm going to put an aftermarket/universal electric fan relay on mine so I can lower the set point.

Who the hell knows? Ohio CAT built the engine with Larson telling them we wanted 475...we never told them anything other that 550hp since we can never have enough. Who knows what we have....

Here's what I get told....Gauge goes to 230, lights, buzzers, and warnings go off and he has to get out of the fuel...Only happens pulling mountains. Used to pull same hills at 40-45mph, now he's at 30-35mph trying to keep it cool.

Finally got told transmission gets to 275* before the lights come on.

As far as recore on a radiator, we do a ton of them since I do them in house. You can't buy radiators for half our stuff, so we're used to that.

I reckon we'll have to tear the charge air off it and give everything a bath and see what we have after than. Blown everything out twice in the last week with air, not dirty with an air wand, but I know that's not as good as the power washer. I'll have to pull the thermostats and change them out too, along with adding a mechanical temp gauge.

Chris

I was always told to wash from the fan side out, that got nothing from mine. But washing from the front toward the fan got tons of chit. But I was in the replacing mood so just ordered a new one because the original had over 550,000 on it.

Can't figure out why it gets warm in the hills
I bought an old d6 last year for scrap price because they couldn't figure out why it was getting hot. Pulled the nose and it looked at least that bad, couple hours with a steam cleaner and she's good as new.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I bought an old d6 last year for scrap price because they couldn't figure out why it was getting hot. Pulled the nose and it looked at least that bad, couple hours with a steam cleaner and she's good as new.

Buddy bought a new pickup because his old one was out of gas.

Can't figure out why it gets warm in the hills

According to Allan there isn’t any hills east of the Mississippi.

The one and only radiator I've ever re-cored was from a D6D. They can keep that ****. Looked like concrete.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Must be more to that story

Lol a little. Fuel pump went out so he pulled the bed and replaced it. Ran another week and died again so he said screw it and bought a new truck. About a month later after he cooled off he decided to get the old truck running to sell it, put some gas in the tank and it started right off.

It’s been the running joke forever here. Guys that have replaced head gaskets and it was just a bad radiator cap, multiple guys have replaced transmissions because of a vibration that was caused by a $50 leveling valve. He always says “well I bought a truck because mine was out of gas” makes them feel better.

Back