Anybody reuse main cap bolts ?

SCHMITTY

Not enough time
Doing a slightly more than stock hp rebuild- 4ks, a3000, 215 motor/pump.

I’ve torqued the mains a few times - I had the crank sitting in the block for awhile while the build was on hold and took it back apart today, re cleaned and lubed everything. I thought I felt one of the bolts getting a little buttery on the final pass with the torque wrench. I stopped and broke them all loose, checked the threads in the block and the bolts, applied oil to the threads and under the bolt heads again and went through again. On the final pass at 130 ftlbs the bolt that had felt weird before clicked the wrench just like the others but then one of the last bolts on the # 1 cap took an extra 1/8-1/4 turn before it clicked. Maybe I have too much oil in the threads in the block or ?? The bolt heads are numbered and I put them back in the same holes.

If you torque past yield and wait a few minutes will a stretched bolt seem to reach torque like a non stretched bolt or will it remain soft ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    389.4 KB · Views: 0
I’m think Jeff at Mamau told me main bolts are reusable, I opted to buy ARP studs because I knew I was getting my main bore honed anyway and it was an excuse to make a girdle. As far as the main bolt getting buttery maybe take it out and measure the length of it vs another one?

Back