Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Drag Racing
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Drag Racing Where ALL Racers are Welcome- From ET Bracket, all the way to ProStreet and Top Diesel!

Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2019, 11:15 AM   #161
J-Pipes

Name: J-Pipes
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
On the subject of fuel only vs nitrous assisted, did I misunderstand what was meant when they said they were using as little fuel as they could to help keep temps in check. I kinda thought the intent of this engine was to loose weight, and with the monitoring, be able to have a very precise tune up, for maximum longevity? Perhaps toss one of these heads on a triple turbo SS pulling engine and see what it does. Drew is no stranger to pulling, I'm sure if he sees a need or a customer, he'll head to that crowd as well. When the customers are primarily driving for a racing engine, you build racing engines.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Old 12-21-2019, 04:07 PM   #162
jones95runner

Name: jones95runner
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmega3500 View Post
No you’re confused.... RD polishes his engine bay and jack stands with the compressed NO2. His new trucks gonna be called “permafrost”...... Ice-cold and aged just sitten still!

It is a cool build don't get me wrong but guys thinking a 3200hp turbo motor with nitrous is earth shattering are what I'm laughing at. Yes it's cool but it's no different than what industrial has been doing for years that everyone busts their balls all over for using nitrous for big Numbers..

I understand this motor was built for a specific purpose. But so is schieds rail. And makes dang near 3k on fuel with no intercooler. What kinda of number you think it would do with 12 jets strapped to it.

Old 12-21-2019, 07:01 PM   #163
Ja564rm80

Name: Ja564rm80
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jones95runner View Post
It is a cool build don't get me wrong but guys thinking a 3200hp turbo motor with nitrous is earth shattering are what I'm laughing at. Yes it's cool but it's no different than what industrial has been doing for years that everyone busts their balls all over for using nitrous for big Numbers..

I understand this motor was built for a specific purpose. But so is schieds rail. And makes dang near 3k on fuel with no intercooler. What kinda of number you think it would do with 12 jets strapped to it.
thank you

All these billet pieces didnt get it much closer to where the mechanical is. There was 3 big pieces that they didnt change on the billet motor. 2 of those things are are holding the cr back from being as potent as the mechanical

Old 12-21-2019, 07:40 PM   #164
YoungDiesel27

Name: YoungDiesel27
Title: Never Enough Time
Member`s Gallery
With the capabilities of the tooling, why not overhead cam while you’re at it?

Old 12-21-2019, 09:35 PM   #165
raychem

Name: raychem
Title: Not enough time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:

No intercooler but is there not water injection in that thing?
I am almost sure it does. Most of their big engines do. Never seen it in person but if you look closely at the intake manifold you can see what seem to be their nozzles installed there. I may be all wrong but at some point the fire gets hot enough with that amount of fuel that you have to control it some way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ja564rm80 View Post
thank you

All these billet pieces didnt get it much closer to where the mechanical is. There was 3 big pieces that they didnt change on the billet motor. 2 of those things are are holding the cr back from being as potent as the mechanical
I am sure that this is the first iteration of that motor. It is also running one fuel pump which I am sure to be a stoker version. Wait till they put enough fueling to support more power on fuel. Maybe not on this version of the motor but later versions.

P-Pumps with 13-16mm barrel configurations put out more fuel than 2 or 3 cp3's. I am sure the stoker versions can get close but I so far out of this game that I don't know fuel flow rates to compare setups.

Last edited by raychem; 12-21-2019 at 09:41 PM.

Old 12-21-2019, 09:40 PM   #166
raychem

Name: raychem
Title: Not enough time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungDiesel27 View Post
With the capabilities of the tooling, why not overhead cam while you’re at it?
That is a lot of added complexity. The overhead designs should be within their wheel house. Now how to drive all those parts? Belts or chains? Then to find the parts that will work. I am sure the torque these things make are a big part or a limiting factor in an engine making this much power.

As I have seen time and time again. Push rod motors for power. Overhead for RPM.

On a side note: Can you imagine a 4" blower belt being used for timing. Imagine the tensioners!

Old 12-21-2019, 11:36 PM   #167
zfaylor

Name: zfaylor
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by raychem View Post
That is a lot of added complexity. The overhead designs should be within their wheel house. Now how to drive all those parts? Belts or chains? Then to find the parts that will work. I am sure the torque these things make are a big part or a limiting factor in an engine making this much power.

As I have seen time and time again. Push rod motors for power. Overhead for RPM.

On a side note: Can you imagine a 4" blower belt being used for timing. Imagine the tensioners!
Google "Cammer engine". It isn't a new idea to convert something to overhead cam.

North American Turbo

Old 12-22-2019, 12:36 AM   #168
2004cuminz

Name: 2004cuminz
Member`s Gallery
Ah cammer engine 427 side oiler banned from nascar cuz the hemi was scared lol.

Old 12-22-2019, 12:40 AM   #169
2004cuminz

Name: 2004cuminz
Member`s Gallery
I would like to see these dyno numbers of industrial and schieds motors making that much power on fuel only. I am by no means saying it isnt true but i havent seen them ever so would like to see it. Just hard to believe if there isnt proof. I think it is great what d&j and firepunk are doing its just going to help push the industry farther for more hp and faster rigs.

Old 12-22-2019, 07:53 AM   #170
biggy238

Name: biggy238
Member`s Gallery
I'd rather see a jump straight to variable valve technology if someone were to spend their time adapting a valve train.

I guess I don't see the complexity of OHC engines since I work with them already.

Sent from my motorola one vision using Tapatalk

05.5 Campanella White TDi Jetta 5spd 45.5MPG
-Little Sexy
'10 Silver F250 CCLB 4X4 6.4L cummins Swapped
Insta @trash.panda250

Old 12-22-2019, 08:41 AM   #171
J-Pipes

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004cuminz View Post
I would like to see these dyno numbers of industrial and schieds motors making that much power on fuel only. I am by no means saying it isnt true but i havent seen them ever so would like to see it. Just hard to believe if there isnt proof. I think it is great what d&j and firepunk are doing its just going to help push the industry farther for more hp and faster rigs.
Its name of the game in pulling, as I frequently point out, and the normal reply is that these two different motorsports require very different power curves. Kellogg posted one some yrs back when sparkle britches was trying to challenge someone on the dyno. Thinking it was about 3200hp. Other thing of note, they didn't stop because of the power reached, seemed to be mostly because they ran out of spray, and likely time as well.

So it's clear that mechanical is still king for peak number, but how does the power curves compare between a 3200hp mechanical vs this common rail? Also, isn't this the highest hp recorded for a common rail?

Old 12-23-2019, 02:42 AM   #172
JQmile

Name: JQmile
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004cuminz View Post
Shane Kellogg posted a graph a few years ago of 3344 if I remember right. I'm sure it's more now. No nitrous, intercooled. And for the record, 3200 on any diesel kills it!!

Old 12-23-2019, 08:06 AM   #173
Timbeaux

Name: Timbeaux
Title: Administrator and Head Thread Derailer
Member`s Gallery
Quote:

But yall do realize if this was WADE coming on here bragging about a 3k hp number on gas y'all would be busting his balls all day long

Because Wade, not because of number

Quote:
Why should you need 2 power adders to make power..... Whens the last time you seen a turbo gas motor running around with nitrous lines on it.

More often than you think.
NO LIMIT FAB, DIESEL SOUTH, DC CUSTOMS
Quote:
"I just love everything about racing. I wanna race every single day. Its nothing for me to be cutting grass and the neighbor hoss the gas on his mower, and there we are, lined up in the the middle of the street." - Stevie KillinTime Jackson
"Against stupidity, the gods themselves fight unvictorious."

Old 12-23-2019, 08:45 AM   #174
SmokinCAT

Name: SmokinCAT
Title: Cheap and Easy.
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbeaux3hirty8ight View Post
Because Wade, not because of number

More often than you think.
Kind of what I was thinking. If the classes allow more than one you see it.

Old 12-23-2019, 09:28 PM   #175
RacinDuallie

Name: RacinDuallie
Title: Black Sheep Racing
Member`s Gallery
In reference to new video: Who is building a triple hx 80 series racer???

Old 12-24-2019, 07:43 AM   #176
LAmiller

Name: LAmiller
Title: THE KT-BOUNDARY
Member`s Gallery
After reading through quite a bit of internet chatter, Lyn and I thought it was a good idea to drop a video explaining some of our thought process and answer questions being asked. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOJIX2HbCkc
http://www.shop.firepunk.com

Old 12-24-2019, 09:02 AM   #177
J-Pipes

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAmiller View Post
After reading through quite a bit of internet chatter, Lyn and I thought it was a good idea to drop a video explaining some of our thought process and answer questions being asked. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOJIX2HbCkc
Excellent video! Answers a ton of questions and speculations. Now please work on those pullers! I actually have the 6spd trans from Gearharts old makin bacon truck in my truck! Any plans to put a rail together with this engine to take the overall top spot? Be about the only thing you haven't won yet!

Old 12-24-2019, 09:43 AM   #178
Pudge

Name: Pudge
Member`s Gallery
I've seen a lot of hate on the engine and a lot of love from people. Being in the sled pulling world, I understand reinventing the wheel and trying something new. Is it the most hp ever made from an all aluminum aftermarket diesel engine, or the actual first people to monitor cylinder pressure in one? Certainly not. Is it the only one that's been filmed from beginning to end and put on social media for the hype? You betcha.

Kudos to D&J and the Firepunk team on their accomplishments. In their game, they certainly have put in time and effort to make what they want for the desired results, and shown people that would otherwise never get to see behind the scenes.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Old 12-24-2019, 10:54 AM   #179
J-Pipes

Member`s Gallery
Also, if this was mentioned I missed it. Is this the highest hp for a common rail?

Closed Thread