The vgt dead horse

Ive been gathering parts for this swap on my 98 12v 5 speed. I have a banshee controller and already rebuilt the 351ve. Gonna be running an rv style manifold so there shouldnt be any interference with shock tower or anything. Gonna have to do some fab work on the down pipe since the turbo will be hanging low.

Being up in the great green north of Canada I’m having a hard time dumping $250 into the t3-t4i adapter.
I was gonna cut the flange off a 6.7 manifold and booger it onto my spare 12 valve manifold. But I’m starting to lean away from that for obvious cast iron reasons. Any other adapter options other than the company custom fab shop?

For sub 450 hp truck that is used as a truck the he351ve is a hard turbo to beat. Assuming the code cycles the vanes at start to clean them the turbo is actually pretty bullet proof considering what it is.

The lilbb is the right choice, My Homebrew Vgt controller used a lot of the same base code the lilbb does and it was great.

If anyone is daring enough to want to build their own controller you can grab my code and go.

Holset HE351 VE VGT Standalone Turbo Arduino Controller Tuner - Air s Dodge Cummins Forum

Last edited:
For sub 450 hp truck that is used as a truck the he351ve is a hard turbo to beat. Assuming the code cycles the vanes at start to clean them the turbo is actually pretty bullet proof considering what it is.

The lilbb is the right choice, My Homebrew Vgt controller used a lot of the same base code the lilbb does and it was great.

If anyone is daring enough to want to build their own controller you can grab my code and go.

Holset HE351 VE VGT Standalone Turbo Arduino Controller Tuner - Air s Dodge Cummins Forum

I did this at one point too. Used some source code from the TDI crowd. It was easier than I thought it'd be, but it was also far from polished. I also didn't have a ton of time into tuning :-(

What’s the consensus on welding to a stock manifold? I have a 6.7 manifold and a 12 valve manifold I was planning on swapping the flanges. Do it with high nickel rod and pre heat, slow cool.

What’s the consensus on welding to a stock manifold? I have a 6.7 manifold and a 12 valve manifold I was planning on swapping the flanges. Do it with high nickel rod and pre heat, slow cool.

Preheat, weld, pean, (or use a needle scaler) reheat, and let cool.

I’ve also preheated, brazed, reheated, and let cool with good results.

Last edited:

I've done it and not had any cracking. That being said, I am super surprised I didn't have issues, and I wouldn't do it for anyone else for fear it'd fail on them at some point. I should go take a look and see if it is still looking nice. It's been years.

Preheat, weld, pean, (or use a needle scaler) reheat, and let cool.

I’ve also preheated, brazed, reheated, and let cool with good results.

Brazed? I would think it gets way too hot to braze anything on a manifold.

Brazed? I would think it gets way too hot to braze anything on a manifold.

I should clarify. That was on a variety of cast iron pieces, including a lift arm support on a tractor.

I have not personally brazed an exhaust manifold, but have been around several that were.

Why not bolt the factory 6.7 manifold on? Take a carbide burr and turn those round ports into square ports. A lot of the aftermarket manifolds out there all come from the same casting and they do just that for the 12 valves. Way less hack than welding on a flange that will likely fail and no clocking of the housings. Shoot I bet a factory 3rd gen downpipe would fit on it as well. $.02

Bolting on the 6.7 manifold is tempting. I do like the 2nd Gen turbo location though. But I could easily get the rest of the pieces I need if I put the 6.7 manifold on

Back