Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- GM > GM Tech > LB7 GM Duramax
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

LB7 GM Duramax Discuss the 1st Generation Duramax here

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 10:43 AM   #1
SmokeSmacked02

Name: SmokeSmacked02
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
In need of diag advise

Figure I would give this a shot and see if anyone might have had this problem or can give some good insight, first off the truck is a 2004 Chevrolet LB7 engine mods to engine are FASS 150, 4" intake, intake heater delete, Lbz regulator, and now Exergy 45% overs and ARP head studs. Recently installed the Exergy injectors and the head studs and after flashing a few files on the truck it has gotten to where it smokes and idles very rough on the first start up everyday. It is not coolant entering the cylinder it is from fuel. It is weird because if you idle it up just for a second it goes right away and no more smoke and idles like a new truck. First thought was a leaking injector but I figure the chances on a Exergy injector having problems in less than 100 miles was a shot in the dark but I guess could be a possibility. I have also thought maybe in the tuning it is letting too much fuel enter the cylinder when it's cold from sitting and when you raise the rpm enough to raise cylinder temps it goes away but I feel like that might just be a theory and I would not think just 45% over injectors would have this side effect but could be wrong. If anyone has ran into this or has any info I would really appreciate it and I guess my next steps are going to be checking glow plugs, checking to see if I have a leaking injector and I am really not too sure from there.

Old 05-11-2016, 02:13 PM   #2
MattH

Name: MattH
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
It does sound like it could be an injector. Can you check injector balance rates?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Old 05-11-2016, 07:43 PM   #3
SmokeSmacked02

Member`s Gallery
Yea I have checked them and all seems well there. I don't have much time to mess with it so today I plugged it up for a few hours while I was working ok some other things and when it's plugged up and sits for a few hours it starts just fine so I'm thinking it may be too much fuel for the cooler cylinder temps or glow plug issues but I think I will have time tomorrow and get the glow plugs checked out

Old 05-11-2016, 08:42 PM   #4
TheBac

Name: TheBac
Title: UPS guy
Member`s Gallery
Id be calling whoever does the tuning on the truck. The tuning does need adjusting for the larger injectors.

2017 Buick Regal 2.0T -- the DD

Old 05-11-2016, 10:09 PM   #5
smokinVE

Name: smokinVE
Title: $$+VE=NO HP
Member`s Gallery
Why did you swap to the new injectors?

Did you clean the tank out and start with new fuel?

However it does sound like programming issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonc View Post
I don't think they let hair sniffer twit much. Or the little gay guy. Only the Indian does.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:35 AM   #6
SmokeSmacked02

Member`s Gallery
I am doing the tuning and I am by no means a pro at this but have done quite a few and from y experience the injection quantity while cranking has never had to be changed and when I have changed pulse width down lower in the table it has never had a good affect for me but again I am no pro. The reason for changing the injectors was due to a slight amount of smoke while idling for a few minutes and had a couple injectors right on the boarder of being out of spec and he has already burned one motor up from running on bad injectors and did not want to take the gamble again. The tank has not been dropped or cleaned but I did change all 3 fuel filters before starting the truck and checked for any contamination in filters and very little was found in FASS filters and none in CAT filter he is running on the engine.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:51 AM   #7
smokinVE

Member`s Gallery
Have you tried to throw the stock file back in and see if the smoke goes away?

Quote:
I don't think they let hair sniffer twit much. Or the little gay guy. Only the Indian does.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:37 AM   #8
SmokeSmacked02

Member`s Gallery
No, I do not have the stock file and he seems to have lost it but I do know when I started I compared the base file to a stock file and all was good there except for changes for the regulator and intake heater.

Old 05-12-2016, 04:52 PM   #9
smokinVE

Member`s Gallery
I think there is stock files in the efi library on this site???

Quote:

Old 05-13-2016, 10:39 PM   #10
SmokeSmacked02

Member`s Gallery
I will try that next week, been slammed with work and haven't had much time to give this attention I also found that a glow plug controller and related codes have been previously turned off so I'm starting to wonder if the truck has had problems with glow plugs/controller before. Hopefully will be able to get my hands back in there early week and check it all out

Old 05-18-2016, 05:20 PM   #11
SmokeSmacked02

Member`s Gallery
Well I found glow plugs not working due to controller, got it replaced and no help what so ever. Pulled glow plugs when motor was still mostly cold and unplugged fuel module and cranked motor, no fuel spray at all anywhere. In the back of my mind I'm thinking maybe bent rod so I ran compression and number 6 is at 250-260 and other are at 315-320. My guess is a slightly bent rod but I am open to opinions.

Old 06-02-2016, 06:31 PM   #12
MattH

Name: MattH
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Did you ever get it figured out?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Old 06-09-2016, 11:16 PM   #13
SmokeSmacked02

Member`s Gallery
I am pretty sure it's a bent rod, he just spent quite a bit of money on it lately so he is going to wait a little while before getting the engine out and checking everything out but with compression being the way it was I'm pretty positive it is a rod issue.

Closed Thread