Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Vendor Row > Sponsor Forums > Stalnaker Racing Services
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 04:12 AM   #101
Bodacious

Name: Bodacious
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Does a better option exist, block wise, for my requirements? MRA says I have to use an IRON block. Wasn't Zach casting some 6.7 stuff?? I need to sell a few more items to get the sleeved 6.7 thing going.

I don't think I've lived up to my end of the bargain yet with Philip Price so I will need to purchase a 6.7 set-up. I was thinking Blacks Diesel???

Old 10-15-2017, 04:15 AM   #102
Bodacious

Member`s Gallery
I also wanted to ask for those who are following and curious, why am I paying so much attention to how low the Transformer Shop Truck sets??

Old 10-15-2017, 06:35 AM   #103
jasonc

Name: jasonc
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Cause fat girls can't jump?

Old 10-15-2017, 07:00 AM   #104
J-Pipes

Name: J-Pipes
Member`s Gallery
Lower is faster. But that^was funny!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Old 10-15-2017, 06:24 PM   #105
Bodacious

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonc View Post
Cause fat girls can't jump?
You know if any of ya intend on meeting me, lol ...your gonna have to meet the lady that lives with this madness. She is twice as mean as me and waaaayyyyy prettier!!

That is funny though!!

The ultra lowering is what I am going to call the 'Bullet Effect'. The acceleration game along with wind forces are no stranger to the world of bullet design. Additionally, I would guess that a bullet is the quickest accelerating mass on earth?? I have not googled it yet.

Old 10-15-2017, 07:06 PM   #106
QMFB

Name: QMFB
Title: Fastest Welder in Texas
Member`s Gallery
Pretty sure the record is still held by the US Navy's "Rail Gun"... IIRC, it launches a projectile at around 10 miles a second... Or maybe it's Mach 7.

Old 10-15-2017, 07:07 PM   #107
QMFB

Name: QMFB
Title: Fastest Welder in Texas
Member`s Gallery
There's some awesome footage of that gun out there BTW ��

Old 10-15-2017, 07:45 PM   #108
J-Pipes

Member`s Gallery
Yeah, the less air resistance, the faster it can go, so if you can go lower, less air under it to slow you down.

Old 10-16-2017, 05:41 AM   #109
Bodacious

Member`s Gallery
Precisely. I studied aerodynamics some in school but never had a reason to really take a hard look at it.

Knowing if everything works half way decent, we should be in the 150-170 MPH range. I know everyone is going that fast or faster. Have you ever tried to stick your hand out the window at say 100MPH. Even at 100mph, the wind resistance is enough to carry extra boost with my old '90 model. Extra boost equates to more power. The slicker I can get the 'Transformer Shop Truck' to cut through the air, the less power I will need to go that fast.

During my research, and watching and reading up on Larry Larson, the more air you can direct up and over the vehicle, the more air you sort of have control over. Also, I didn't see any rules that limits anyone's arrangement of the skin.

An old friend (Joe Hartley) said it years ago, even before we had cell phones, He was late for showing up at the house and I gave him a call. He said I am on my way and "I will have her ears pinned back". lol He used to drive a 78-79 3/4 ton ford around when we were 'Holler Hopp'n' back in the day. He ended up on top of a small car at our local hang out before he started tapering off. lol

Last edited by Bodacious; 10-16-2017 at 05:42 AM.

Old 10-16-2017, 05:41 AM   #110
Bodacious

Member`s Gallery
How about the other end of the bullet. Any correlation to acceleration here that I need to look at??

Old 10-16-2017, 06:07 AM   #111
J-Pipes

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodacious View Post
How about the other end of the bullet. Any correlation to acceleration here that I need to look at??
Such as "boat-tail" vs flat base bullets? Sure, at the level you're aiming for there is probably something to be gained with airflow at the back. Not as much as the front, but something. If nothing else, some sort of small spoiler for downforce, perhaps even do a removable front spoiler/splitter for use on asphalt tracks?

Old 10-16-2017, 08:08 AM   #112
9724VF350

Name: 9724VF350
Title: Tractor Guy
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zstroken View Post
Actually it does have an advantage, as the sleeves are better quality metal than the block itself.
I'm not on board with that. The sleeves are only so thick, where the solid block has 6 holes poked in a 7.5"x29.5" chunk of iron that is supposed to be better than factory spec.

Another thing I think is that this block can be less likely to lift if the main studs were long enough to go up in to the area where water used to be.

Wife's ride-03 Excursion 12V swap in the works.

Old 10-16-2017, 08:41 AM   #113
Bodacious

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9724VF350 View Post
I'm not on board with that. The sleeves are only so thick, where the solid block has 6 holes poked in a 7.5"x29.5" chunk of iron that is supposed to be better than factory spec.

Another thing I think is that this block can be less likely to lift if the main studs were long enough to go up in to the area where water used to be.
So what about this LSM water block I have. You can look in there and see the sleeve in a couple places. To me, this means the sleeve is taking all of the force??

Old 10-16-2017, 08:45 AM   #114
Bodacious

Member`s Gallery
...and I have never had one of the sleeves out. If you watch how the modern, open deck blocks are sleeved, the dang sleeve is really thick in the top portion. Maybe even as much as an inch deep with a wall over a half inch thick. Basically eliminating some of the forces the block was originally designed to take.

Edit: This was the first thing I thought of when I took delivery of this factory aluminum cummins stuff.

Last edited by Bodacious; 10-16-2017 at 08:46 AM.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:38 AM   #115
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9724VF350 View Post

Still not as good as a Ductile Iron Sleeve for some aspects, however it could be argued that taking out the material will take away from block strength as far as splitting the block horizontally.
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Last edited by zstroken; 10-16-2017 at 10:44 AM.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:58 AM   #116
Bodacious

Member`s Gallery
Have you all paid attention to how the first engine company to offer an all aluminum diesel engine to the public here in the U.S. got all that figured out??

Old 10-16-2017, 11:06 AM   #117
zfaylor

Name: zfaylor
Member`s Gallery
Basing the viability of sleeves on an aluminum block is comparing apples to oranges. They obviously aren't going to run aluminum bores.

North American Turbo

Old 10-16-2017, 11:17 AM   #118
Bodacious

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zfaylor View Post
Basing the viability of sleeves on an aluminum block is comparing apples to oranges. They obviously aren't going to run aluminum bores.
Well heck no!! Who has tried that???

Old 10-16-2017, 01:06 PM   #119
9724VF350

Name: 9724VF350
Title: Tractor Guy
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Briggs and Stratton.

Wife's ride-03 Excursion 12V swap in the works.

Old 10-16-2017, 01:42 PM   #120
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
All sorts of folks, about any snowmobile or dirtbike engine does. They just nikasil coat the cylinders.
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Closed Thread