OEM heat exchanger...throw that thing in the garbage

Got Smoke?

People tried to warn me when I did my auto swap 2 years ago, but I had a newborn at home and was trying to do it as cheaply as possible so I used a heat exchanger.

Went to do a service and add my new deep pan this year to get ready for race season and found this.

So now I have a Derale 15960 and push-lok hose and fittings to install this weekend, and I'm hoping the trans isn't trashed.

Attachments

• Milk Jug Oil.jpg
    Milk Jug Oil.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 0
  • trans pan oil.jpg
    trans pan oil.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 0
I throw all that junk in the garbage and go transmission directly to the cooler. Minimize failure points and chances of fluid mixing.

That sucks!!!! I've yet to see a 2nd gen style ever fail. 03+ is a different story.

X2. The 2nd Gen style only really fail oil to atmosphere when the fitting welds rust off.

This has been my experience, also. We saw a few 3rd Gens fail while I was t Joe’s but never a 2nd Gen. I’ve always been of the opinion that the 2nd Gens are better with it left on, that’s why mine’s still there.

Mine only failed after I did a trans rebuild and didnt use backing wrenches on the ****er. Aftermarket one has not failed yet.

Back