Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 94-98 2nd Gen. 12V
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 06:43 AM   #1
regcanfan

Name: regcanfan
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Coolant out of blowby tube

First post here, I hope its ok to ask a question. I have a 97 3500 and I'm getting some vapor and a few drips of antifreeze out of the blow by tube. It only appears when it warms up after the thermostat opens. The bottom of the oil cap and visually the oil both look clean. The pickup was all stock up to about 1000 miles ago. I ground the fuel plate and did 4k governor springs. When I redid the head i out in 5x.011 injectors. It only has 135k miles on it now.

I just replaced the head gasket thinking this was the problem. I had the head checked out, surfaced and gone through. Used new stock head bolts torqued to 130 ft lbs and a thicker gasket.

Kind of stumped I'm wondering, would it be a crack somewhere in the block or could a bad oil cooler cause this. The motor runs smooth with no missing and isnt down on power.

Old 10-28-2018, 02:29 PM   #2
Jakediesel06

Name: Jakediesel06
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
I have seen a a small crack happen between freeze out plugs behind the the push rod cover before. Can’t say I remember seeing coolant come out of the blow by tube. We got bad samples back for coolant in oil. Replaced/tested oil cooler can’t remember if we did a head gasket or not. Just remember finding that crack. Had a guy come and loc-n-sitch to fix it.

Old 10-28-2018, 11:40 PM   #3
regcanfan

Member`s Gallery
I need to check if there is any oil in the coolant. I did check thd the oil fill cap and although it looks clean if I wipe the bottom side of the cap off the residue smells and tastes like coolant.

Would it be possible to have a crack in the cylinder wall and not have a miss or pressurize the cooling system.

Old 10-29-2018, 06:18 AM   #4
PPUMPFUMMINS

Name: PPUMPFUMMINS
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by regcanfan View Post
I need to check if there is any oil in the coolant. I did check thd the oil fill cap and although it looks clean if I wipe the bottom side of the cap off the residue smells and tastes like coolant.

Would it be possible to have a crack in the cylinder wall and not have a miss or pressurize the cooling system.
I would put dye in the cooling system, which would transfer to oil if its getting in the oil and pressure test the cooling system. it should hold pressure overnight. If the issue is more noticeable when engine warm id ad the dye, run the engine until it reaches operating temp, and then let it sit while under pressure.

Old 10-29-2018, 07:21 AM   #5
GAmes

Name: GAmes
Title: Retired Apache pilot
Member`s Gallery
I'd send in an oil sample for analysis. Yes, there have been instances of blocks cracking in the cylinder walls.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:57 AM   #6
regcanfan

Member`s Gallery
Would it be a waste of time to check out the oil cooler. I dont think the gaskets cost much.

Old 10-30-2018, 04:22 PM   #7
Jakediesel06

Name: Jakediesel06
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Not saying the oil cooler isn’t a possibility. But usually if an oil cooler is bad you will get oil in your coolant instead of coolant in your oil. Oil pressure is higher than coolant pressure therefore unless your cooler is completely screwed up your oil pushes throw the crack into the coolant.
If it’s bad enought yo might get coolant to push through after truck is shut off because coolant will hold a little pressure for some time where the oil pressure drops right off immediately. But you should still get oil in your coolant if the oil cooler is cracked.

Old 10-30-2018, 05:05 PM   #8
95cummins5.9

Name: 95cummins5.9
Title: Old man ***** gossiper
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAmes View Post
I'd send in an oil sample for analysis. Yes, there have been instances of blocks cracking in the cylinder walls.
I read they recalled a ton of early97 late 96 trucks with casting flaws in the blocks..

I don't own anything stock, from engines to boobies I've modded them all. Life is too short to live with mediocre chit.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:16 PM   #9
regcanfan

Member`s Gallery
I'm going to test the cooler first and put in new gaskets, I think they are about $60. If it checks out ok I guess I might have to find a block, or is there ways to fix a crack.. Been doing some reading and it seems like there has been some others with cracking around the push rod area as stated above.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:46 PM   #10
regcanfan

Member`s Gallery
I guess Mr. Nixon is just down the road from me (not sure if he has any right now), or I suppose there are lots of blocks around worse case scenario. It to nice to just trash. Is a 97 reg cab 3500 cab and chassis 2wd with only 133k on it with a perfect body and paint and flatbed.

Old 10-30-2018, 07:43 PM   #11
Mark Nixon

Name: Mark Nixon
Title: No Savior among the flesh
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by regcanfan View Post
I guess Mr. Nixon is just down the road from me (not sure if he has any right now), or I suppose there are lots of blocks around worse case scenario. It to nice to just trash. Is a 97 reg cab 3500 cab and chassis 2wd with only 133k on it with a perfect body and paint and flatbed.
What's this "Mr." stuff?

I have 3 blocks, 2 are bare and about to hit the iron.
The third is a '96 short block that had a valve roam around in 1 cylinder.
It destroyed the head and piston, but it doesn't appear to have hurt the cylinder.

I will sell any of them cheap.

Mark.

Old 10-31-2018, 01:52 PM   #12
regcanfan

Member`s Gallery
The gaskest for the oil cooler comes in tomorrow so maybe this weekend I'll check it out. Probably wasting my time but i guess I'll give it a try.

Old 10-31-2018, 11:36 PM   #13
runsideways2

Name: runsideways2
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAmes View Post
#5 &#6 will get cracks very fine cracks if you were to bore the block 20 over. Lucky cummins made solution for that they sold iron cylinder liners #3904166 or part 19 on diagram.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20181031-213521_Chrome.jpg (177.1 KB, 0 views)

Old 11-15-2018, 08:09 AM   #14
regcanfan

Member`s Gallery
I still haven't had time to check the oil cooler ( I'm thinking it will be a waste of time but still want to rule it out). If its a cracked block what would you guys think abo uh t finding a bare block and swapping in my mind crank and pistons and cam. Obviously would i put in new rings and bearings. Or is this a bit risky using used parts.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:14 AM   #15
GAmes

Name: GAmes
Title: Retired Apache pilot
Member`s Gallery
I don't see any risk. The majority of rebuilds reuse the cam, crankshaft, pushrods, lifters, etc. If the pistons are in spec and undamaged, why not?

Old 11-15-2018, 08:15 AM   #16
zfaylor

Name: zfaylor
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Nothing wrong with used parts but I wouldn't jump straight to a cracked block. We have seen many oil coolers and head gaskets cause coolant in blowby tubes. It can steam out of the oil and condensate in the tube.

North American Turbo

Old 11-15-2018, 08:40 AM   #17
regcanfan

Member`s Gallery
Thats reasuring I did buy a new cooler but like i said before just need some time to get it in. I know the head and gasket is good.

Old 12-23-2018, 08:48 PM   #18
regcanfan

Member`s Gallery
Well got the cooler in and it does the same thing so...looking like a cracked block like others stated above.

Now its time to decide what to do. Thing about finding a block and swapping over my bottem end parts. Or would i be better off finding a new or a good used short block.

Old 12-23-2018, 09:01 PM   #19
95cummins5.9

Name: 95cummins5.9
Title: Old man ***** gossiper
Member`s Gallery
Run it bud, a few drops of coolant isn't going to hurt anything, you said the oil is visually clean, save your money. Build a catch can for the tube and call it a day.

I don't own anything stock, from engines to boobies I've modded them all. Life is too short to live with mediocre chit.

Old 12-23-2018, 10:37 PM   #20
QMFB

Name: QMFB
Title: Fastest Welder in Texas
Member`s Gallery
I don't understand how you can have coolant coming out of the blow-by tube, but not have coolant in your oil ????

Closed Thread