Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Drag Racing
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Drag Racing Where ALL Racers are Welcome- From ET Bracket, all the way to ProStreet and Top Diesel!

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 09:07 PM   #81
kuntzbros

Name: kuntzbros
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Bad news for #lildebbie. We were prepping and testing last Friday at the track so we could be ready to attempt a 13s 1/4 next weekend at Rudy's spring opener. Unfortunately though we had an engine failure on the first pass. We were starting have some signs of an issue before but never though it was anything as significant as this. We also are still trying to figure out what exactly happened so hopefully someone will be able to give us some opinions or insight as to what might have happened. To give as much info as possible about what we have going on we tried to take a bunch of measurements and compared them to the build notes. The final major failure happened at the top of 4th gear at the last part of the track and the truck ran a 14.3 at 94mph.

Spec. Notes. Aftermath
Ring gap top. 32. 32
Ring gap middle 25. 25
Piston-wall. 8. 8
Timing. 31. 31

We originally thought we had a bad injector because we had fuel running out of the first cyl while it was running and when we pulled the injectors it did have an issue popping but after disassembling and cleaning it began to pop well again. The others tested fine. We ended up with what looks like a progression of damage. The 2nd cyl was the best and looked new still the 4th was just starting to run, the 3rd was rubbing and the 4th was rubbed so bad it seems like it started to seize but ended up bending the connecting rod instead. Even after testing the injector we still did not suspect this kind of damage because the truck still started right up and ran just line always but was rough. This was definitely something we think happened over time and not all of the sudden and at this point we are not confident in any one thing to put the cause on so any input or insight would be greatly appreciated

20180425_181425.jpg
4th cyl minor damage

20180425_181406.jpg
3rd cyl moderate

The rest are the 1st cly
20180425_185932.jpg

20180425_185949.jpg

20180423_112753.jpg

20180422_213338.jpg

20180425_181354.jpg

20180423_112843.jpg

20180423_112809.jpg

20180423_112804.jpg

Last edited by kuntzbros; 04-25-2018 at 09:10 PM.

Old 04-26-2018, 06:00 AM   #82
T-MAN

Name: T-MAN
Title: misunderstood
Member`s Gallery
Hello, a few things that stand out to me. top ring gap is good second should be equal or looser, .008 ptw is acceptable but may be a little tight for a competition engine, .010 may have helped. the rod that bent looked like a polished Japanese rod??? I'm sure a few more will jump in, your pushing that little guy pretty good easy to find weak links........

Old 04-26-2018, 03:42 PM   #83
kuntzbros

Member`s Gallery
Thanks for the advice on the rods that had not crossed our minds yet and on the rings too. Does the piston wear and damage look like rings butting to you or pistons scrubbing because of ptw clearance. We have been learning towards the ptw clearance being the culprit just from what it looks like but we didn't think we were at the level to need more than 8 thou yet. Is it possible that the Japanese rod could not handle it and the other cylinder and pistons being damaged is because that one was failing?

Old 04-26-2018, 06:50 PM   #84
T-MAN

Name: T-MAN
Title: misunderstood
Member`s Gallery
In regards to the jap rod i see it was a polished beam, i don't believe that would be stock.... just wondering what kind of life it had before it landed in your motor? cylinder 3 looks like it took some heat and stuck / scarred above the ring, my guess is trapped heat from tight second ring and swelled the piston. cylinder 4 looks like the ring butted when this happens all or most of the oil the piston rides on is gone and makes heat / friction. i would say you were in the early stages of a mess but the rod gave up on you so you can see what was going on before everything was destroyed. .008 PTW i would have said you would be ok but looks like i would have been wrong also...you can machine the top of the piston above the ring for a little added security, this is where all the heat is. all the above is just my opinion but i hope it helped lol

Old 04-26-2018, 08:35 PM   #85
kuntzbros

Member`s Gallery
Yes that definitely helps. Thanks for the insight. I guess in a way we are lucky it wasn't worse.

Old 04-27-2018, 12:30 AM   #86
Justappumped24v

Name: Justappumped24v
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuntzbros View Post
Yes that definitely helps. Thanks for the insight. I guess in a way we are lucky it wasn't worse.
I have good 12v rods if you are interested I’m bringing them to UCC as a back up if I don’t use them y’all can have them

Old 04-29-2018, 10:32 AM   #87
kuntzbros

Member`s Gallery
Thanks Josh we might end up needing those actually because it looks like all four rods were shortened. We finally found out the whole cause was injection timing. There is not much info on box truck cpl numbers so we guessed and assumed one that seemed to match best off the info we had at the time and it seemed to work fine but the best we can figure the 32 degrees timing we thought we had was actually 37. After talking some more people we continued to check some more things and found we went from 15 thous piston potrution on assembly to -10 after with a 9 thous lean indicating that we had actually bent all the rods. That prompted us to rethink our timing and that's when we found out that our timing was not what we thought it was.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:19 PM   #88
kuntzbros

Member`s Gallery
Lildebbie is back in action after the engine rebuild and with a few upgrades. We ended up getting hooked up with some used mahle power pack pistons from powerdriven and through some other work and trading we ended up with an airdog lift pump and a set of 14mm main studs. Because we plan to take this build as high as we can we also thought it would be a good idea to upgrade rods so we opted for a set of cryo-treated and polished/balanced haisley rods. Everything else remains the same for now. The goal for this set up is to make 600hp on the chassis dyno and finally run a 13s 1/4.

We got everything back together and “tested” at the last odss race in Bowling Green. At the event on sat we had two qualifying rounds and then ET bracket eliminations which we lost first round. The first pass off the trailer went great with heavy fueling but not full fuel it hooked well and ran an 8.72 in the 1/8th which is a new record for the truck. That pass would equate to a mid 13s ¼ so we are very happy about how its it's doing. The rest of the day we had some simple and stupid issues that kept us from running as well.

After being eliminated first round we decided to throw it on the dyno and as always everyone nearby came to watch the entertainment. Lil debbie impressed everyone around and put 600hp to the wheels. We are sitting right where we hoped to be now we just need to get it back to the track for some ¼ passes. Maybe this Friday at the local test and tune.

Lil debbie in line at odss bowling green 2018.jpg

lil debbie in line bowling green 2018.jpg

lil debbie on kenworth bowling green 2018.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ff92...ature=youtu.be

Old 06-26-2018, 05:33 AM   #89
TheBac

Name: TheBac
Title: UPS guy
Member`s Gallery
600hp and mid 13s out of a 4bt in a 10-cube?!? Thats pretty damn cool.

2017 Buick Regal 2.0T -- the DD

Old 06-26-2018, 05:36 AM   #90
jasonc

Name: jasonc
Member`s Gallery
What was your tow truck originally, was that a fire truck turned toterhome? Cool

Old 06-26-2018, 07:53 AM   #91
Red Sleeper

Name: Red Sleeper
Member`s Gallery
I swear, just when you think this thread can’t get any better.

Awesome tow vehicle! What’s the story behind that one?
'91 Cummins w350 5spd

Old 06-26-2018, 09:48 AM   #92
WUnderwood

Name: WUnderwood
Title: CompD Minion
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBac View Post
600hp and mid 13s out of a 4bt in a 10-cube?!? Thats pretty damn cool.
This!

Click the image to open in full size.

RIP BFD99, jponder, and Forrest Nearing

Old 06-28-2018, 09:24 PM   #93
kuntzbros

Member`s Gallery
The tow truck we've had for about two years now but this was the first time we actually got to use it to tow #lildebbie. It was one of those finds on craigslist that was just too good to pass up lol. Its It's a 93 Kenworth K300 88k miles with a Ppump 12v 8.3 cummins (6CT). We rescued it from the junk yard where it had been sitting since 2007. From what we were told and looking at the paperwork work in it; it was owned by Turner broadcasting and used as a mobile broadcasting center for live TV. You should see how many cables and wires we have pulled out of this thing lol. It also has two ac units that still work and a 20k generator with some sort of crazy step up transformer the size of one you would find outside your house. We have slowly been converting it to be a toterhome for lildebbie. It just seemed to be a perfect fit for the big box I mean “race” truck. It actually has an AFC live from powerdriven on it and we have also put a heated dual tank system on it so we can run waste oil.

IMG_20170806_210842_330.jpg
before we started the conversion

Old 06-29-2018, 02:03 PM   #94
gunracer1

Name: gunracer1
Member`s Gallery
fawkin awsome
98 3500 4x4 quad 12v 5 speed,98 quad 4x4 12v stock sold, and a 95 reg cab getting triples.97 dually 4x4,6 speed over 500 rwhp, sold, 98 3/4 ton short bed reg cab, over 500 rwhp, sold. 98 quad 5 speed sold and the wife has a little dmax.

Old 06-29-2018, 04:42 PM   #95
Timbeaux

Name: Timbeaux
Title: Administrator and Head Thread Derailer
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunracer1 View Post
fawkin awsome

Hey man! Where you been?
NO LIMIT FAB, DIESEL SOUTH, DC CUSTOMS
Quote:
"I just love everything about racing. I wanna race every single day. Its nothing for me to be cutting grass and the neighbor hoss the gas on his mower, and there we are, lined up in the the middle of the street." - Stevie KillinTime Jackson
"Against stupidity, the gods themselves fight unvictorious."

Old 09-17-2018, 09:19 PM   #96
kuntzbros

Member`s Gallery
Time for another #lildebbie update. Since the last time we posted the biggest change we made is the injection pump. We went to Farrel Diesel and Seth hooked us up with a 13mm maxed and balanced pump that is now capable of 970cc at full rack. This pump is absolutely insanse, Seth did an amaing job, we still have yet to use more than half of that fuel. We missed the rocky top odss event while the pump was with farrell but since we have gotten it back we have been to scheids and then to the hardway event and the pump and truck have been running great. Because this pump is so much different and supplies so much fuel it has been slow getting it dialed in. We are having to leave the line harder so we do not flood the chargers but with leaving at a higher boost we have been running into traction issues. We were able to get a lot of passes at scheids but never could get the truck to hook, so between the scheids and hardway event we built some homemade traction bars and they seemed to have helped a lot.

We are still in the process of trying to get it all dialed in and see what the best run we can make with this setup is, but so far we have run a 13.85 in the ¼ and a 8.62 in the ⅛ which are both new prs. Neither passes were as good as we think it could do.

Once we get the truck where we want it with the current engine setup and get a chance to dyno it we want to get a cam and some better valve springs to go with it.

The goal right now is to get down go a 1.8 60ft and as low in the 13s as possible before we get a cam.

20180730_161314.jpg

20180904_193253.jpg

20180914_095522.jpg

20180916_130945.jpg

PLease excuse the announcer, he gets pretty excited when #lildebbie shows up.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:38 PM   #97
12valve95

Name: 12valve95
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
This whole project is the chit!

If getting a 3/4ton truck down a strip is racing a brick...Then this thing is a cinder block

Absolutely awesome man!! Keep it up!

'95 RCLB: in pieces...

1986 RC C30 Dually 12Valve...Coming soon

'17 HANDSHAKER : SOLD

Old 09-18-2018, 06:54 AM   #98
sootie

Name: sootie
Title: .....like a BAWSS
Member`s Gallery
focusing on suspension may net you more gain at this point than more engine/setup changes...

Old 10-05-2018, 10:20 PM   #99
Broncojohnny

Name: Broncojohnny
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Hey guys, I am the owner of the T-bird that you raced at the Memphis zip tie drags. Just happened to see this thread and thought I would stop in to say that I love the bread truck and wish you success with it. I sure as hell did not think I was going to pull off the win at Memphis.

Here is the build thread for my junkyard T-bird:
1989 SC needs to run mid 12s

Old 01-22-2019, 07:20 PM   #100
kuntzbros

Member`s Gallery
Now that we have gotten past the holidays and found some time here is our long overdue #lildebbie update. We concluded the 2018 season at the Rudy”s event in October. We had a blast at the event and the truck ran great posting a couple mid 8 sec 1/8th mile passes but were still having trouble getting a consistent launch and hook.We then decided to hit the local drag strip one more time before the end of the year. We made some passes and the truck was performing pretty well and then on the last pass of the night we blew a radiator hose. This was a little odd so we replaced the hose and pulled the truck up to the shop to check it out and sure enough we found the head gasket was blown.

After tear down and close inspection we noticed that the fire ring on the third cylinder looked like the grooves in the head and block were not lining up exactly right and were not crimping the fire ring in the center all the way around. This being the third time having issues with inaccurately cut fire ring grooves we finally bit the bullet and bought a fire ring cutting tool from BHJ tool. We have cut a few heads with it so far and it seems like it is definitely going to be the solution to all of our fire/o-ring problems. The tool is very accurate and simple to use and most importantly the accuracy is repeatable so if we crack a head and need to replace it, we can simply use the tool and the rings will be cut in the same exact spot.

20190121_224041.jpg

20190121_223932.jpg

20181207_191714.jpg

20181207_191557.jpg

20181207_191541.jpg

It turns out, the head gasket issue might have been a blessing in disguise though, on tear down we also noticed that our protrusion had changed quite a bit. We started out with +.015 and ended up around -.020 on the 1st and 4th cylinder and -10 on the 2nd and 3rd cylinder which after looking closely at the rods we could see that they were slightly bent and shortened by .025-.035. We were somewhat surprised to begin with since these were the Haisley Hardened rods that are supposed to be good for up to 1500hp on a 6bt or around 1000hp on a 4bt. After researching and talking to the pros we still have not been able to pin point the exact cause but have narrowed it down to what we think is two good theories. Theory 1 that we are making our power too low in the rpm range causing cylinder pressures to be too high and beyond what the hardened could handle AKA #lildebbie is a torque monster. Theory 2 is that there is an issue with our water meth and is causing a hydro-locking condition in the cylinders.

We want to continue progressing and make another step toward the 1000hp mark this year and hopefully break deep into the 12s in the ¼ mile and run the 7.70 index class at the ODSS events this year. This means many more upgrades coming for #lildebbie but, first we have to make a decision on the rods; stick with the 12v rods either stock or hardened and keep the rpms up or is it time to get some stronger ones. On another note this little 4bt is bending rods and making close to 700hp and 1300lbs but the Powerdriven 550hp trans is still holding like a champ never once has seemed to have a problem.

Last edited by kuntzbros; 01-22-2019 at 07:30 PM.

Closed Thread